I would love

Re: I would love

CMGC 30 Nov 2019 18:43 pm said..

Frustrating as it is I do see the PRL as the ones who have to act now. They have dished out a verdict and in effect it has proven to be pointless in achieving what was intended. i.e a sanction that puts matters back in line. The " courts" now need a more appropriate set of rules or sanctions. If the rest of the Prem vote for an increased cap then on their own heads be it as they are merely digging theor own graves.... more fool them. They need tougher measures that prevent one team hooverign up the best talent ( current regs clearly don't work) and having the current Salary cap clearly just moves in more overseas talent and pumps wages.
CMGC

Chalker 30 Nov 2019 19:54 pm said..

RTS2 wrote:
Glen Sannox wrote:Why should the Premiership bale out the Pro14? Hope we never see an Anglo-Celt league

+1 ;

but I see it happening, and as I said above then a Euro league in 2 tiers replacing domestic leagues and the two Euro cups.

Our game is forever changing, so a European league with no salary cap?
Chalker
Hall of Famer

RTS2 30 Nov 2019 20:16 pm said..

Chalker wrote:
RTS2 wrote:
Glen Sannox wrote:Why should the Premiership bale out the Pro14? Hope we never see an Anglo-Celt league

+1 ;

but I see it happening, and as I said above then a Euro league in 2 tiers replacing domestic leagues and the two Euro cups.

Our game is forever changing, so a European league with no salary cap?

Chalker; how I see it is as I suggested on the previous page. A salary cap with a Sarries-type solution to attract players .

So; a cap for sure but due to the inequitable aspects ( particularly with the French clubs ) a system that allows clubs to provide either a pension -driven investment strategy into property or whatever for players after they retire from the sport.

The focus of salary being literally the amount that clubs are allowed to pay their squad in total.

Sarries have been naughty in not reporting certain arrangements ; but I used the word " creative " for a reason. I suggested in the future their method ( although we all dislike it ) could and most probably would be adopted in the European structure so to facilitate a level playing -field at least in terms of actual salaries.

It is naïve for anyone to think there will ever be a level playing field in any professional sport for individual players or squads v other squads. I simply is not possible. The sport have varying talent levels and clubs will have varying degree's of infrastructure investment etc. The professional era will continue to develop and evolve; and players will command higher salaries, even though in nearly all cases the rugby -businesses the club owners run are not profitable.

Is this future of the club game in the UK, Ireland and Europe sustainable ?. Some of us have been saying no for some time ; but somehow, the clubs continue to survive and the money is somehow found.

As long as people like Wray, Altrad et al continue to be involved in the sport that money will be available.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 30 Nov 2019 20:44 pm said..

Did Sarries lie ?? As far as I am aware the NW business-deals were in the public domain and not hidden. Why didn't PRL notice much earlier ?? Did the deals exist BUT Sarries didn't mention them to PRL thinking they were legal. Again why didn't PRL ask/investigate earlier and leave it for the Daily Mail to lead the agenda ??

Why are Sarries so sure that they are under the PSC now ?? Do the investment companies no longer exist ??

My guess is that PRL will completely review the PSC Rules as they are as leaky as Leicester's try-line !! ;)

Will PRL now do a deep-dive on Sarries and all the other clubs in order to draw a time-line in the sand ??

What is happening to the £5.3m ?? I am sure I read that it is going to be equally distributed to the PRL clubs (not Sarries). Seems a bit strange if you ask me !! Why not to the RPA, IPF or player's charities/post-rugby initiatives or community initiatives involving PRL clubs ?? Effectively the clubs owners are getting a one-off reward from Sarries misdemeanours.

Sarries come out of this very badly BUT IMHO PRL nearly come out of it worse !! Not fit for purpose..... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1530  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

RTS2 30 Nov 2019 21:30 pm said..

1) John I don't think anyone is or has accused them of lying. The issue is about their failure to report/disclose. Some might like to think of this a lying but I think it's fair to say that technically it isn't . The "deals" as you put it might actually be perfectly legal; but the issue is should they have been declared ? . They appear NOT to have been .The lack of any appeal suggests they have taken the sanction and are now getting on with the rugby.

2) I would assume that the last thing they will want to do is to over step the actual salary cap. I am sure that the auditors will be all over their wages bill and I suspect that they will want to see official documentation from and to HMRC ?.

3)I would see no reason for the investment companies to disappear. No one has said they are illegal and I am pretty certain they won't be. The nature of them however ; might be something that someone somewhere wants to look at closely ; but maybe NOT the PRL.

4)Sarries come out of it badly by a fine and a points reduction. That is about all. In all other respects it's business as usual.

Will they miss out on Europe next season ?. Somehow I don't think they will.

Will they recover sufficient points to reach the Premiership play-offs ?. Maybe not ; but it's highly unlikely they will be relegated .

Does the £5m matter to them ?. I somehow think not. They retain their current squad in full and moreover they haven't been stripped of any titles.

5) Some of us have been saying this about PRL from day 1. It is a farce . We have been paying to watch a competition that is actually very non-transparent .

The whole matter is somewhat questionable in as much as there is an apparent lack of action being shown by the other club owners to date. This ( accepted ) could change ; but somehow it's unlikely especially IF ? the clubs are getting a share out of the fine. Has this actually be confirmed ?. Interesting if they are. I am sure that PRL will be making some changes in the whole matter at the end of the season ; but if they don't this will perhaps only fuel further speculation as to why not ?.

Lets wait and see what happens.

GRFC ( as you put it ) for one, needs to put it's energy into better things for now and a Win at Quins would be a good start.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 30 Nov 2019 23:44 pm said..

All good points. The other question is why won't PRL publish the report now that the matter is closed. Sarries have asked for it to go public - and surely they are the ones with most to lose publicly ??

I believe it is in the public interest to publish it NOT hide it.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1530  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Steve M 01 Dec 2019 00:37 am said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:Sarries have asked for it to go public

Have they ?
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby