Rugby philosophy

Rugby philosophy

Ferret 30 Nov 2019 09:44 am said..

Reading the posts made me think how the game has changed over years.
Years ago you would turn up to watch a match, get wet inevitably because there no cover, know the players, stand with your mates with whom you would have a drink afterwards, perhaps with players too. Of course we wanted our team to win but after 20 mins at the end of the game it didn’t really matter.
There were no league table, no pundits or re runs with TMO causing us to discuss the merits of the decision for weeks.
Squads were small and you could forecast team a week ahead. So and so from Lydney looks promising guesting onTuesday night.
NowI can’t guess team, frequent changes to other team squads, league tables be all and end all and whether game is good to watch is of little consequence to result. .
Ah oh for days we walked few cars easy parking, Nigel Starmer-Smith, leather balls,wingers throwing ball in, muddy pitches, poor lighting , Merit tables,punch up withSouth Wales Police and their internationals.
Times change memories don’t.
Ferret
On the board

Re: Rugby philosophy

Herefordpropforward 30 Nov 2019 10:09 am said..

Professionalising of the game has destroyed those fond memories and the process still grinds on. To what purpose I ask myself?
West is best
Herefordpropforward
Hero in the making

Steve M 30 Nov 2019 10:17 am said..

Ferret wrote:punch up with South Wales Police

Was guaranteed wasnt it :D
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

RossM 30 Nov 2019 10:19 am said..

Steve M wrote:

Was guaranteed wasnt it :D

Same thing with the Met, when I played in London.
‘Politicians and diapers must be changed often and for the same reason.’ Mark Twain.
RossM
Vice-Captain

Nobbler23 30 Nov 2019 15:53 pm said..

I always thought professionalism would be great, however, although I still love the game, we have lost much I loved about the game.
By the way Gloucestershire Constabulary weren't reticent in throwing a few right handers, some were even on the pitch.
Nobbler23
Senior squad member

RTS2 30 Nov 2019 15:59 pm said..

Steve M wrote:

Was guaranteed wasn't it :D

I remember sitting in A and E after a Cinderford v United mid week fixture. ;) :D ....along with several others.

I am not sure the philosophy of the game has in this respect become retrograde.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Return to Gloucester Rugby