Quins v Glaws OGT

Re: Quins v Glaws OGT

Beddis 02 Dec 2019 00:45 am said..

Must add how impressed I’ve been with Jamal Ford-Robinson, from a bench player with Northampton united team to a starter for us within a few months. Looks to have regained his early career form which led him to international recognition. Long may it continue
Posts: 4069  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

RTS2 02 Dec 2019 11:05 am said..

Thought I would post just so the thread doesn't extend to 24 hours without any more comments. Blimey ; the match was only yesterday afternoon , and there has been no addition to the OGT for 10 hours...surely a record ?. ))

Think it says it all.

We drove back last night in silence.

If Polledri keeps the bench warm until 68 mins for the next few matches ………………. :evil: !!. :)

I am wondering when we will start hearing the fine margin speeches again ?.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

theoptimist 02 Dec 2019 11:46 am said..

I’m also perplexed by Polledri waiting so long to come on.

I personally like him on the bench (though wouldn’t be upset if he started). The holes he punches are significantly bigger when the oppo are tired but he needs to be on with 35 minutes left on the clock at least if he’s going to make a significant impact.

He went through a massive hole yesterday but then CMK pulled it back for Marler’s injury. I’m not sure what impact Marler had on the Quin’s defensive line but it looked like a case of Jake at his best.
theoptimist
Hero in the making

RTS2 02 Dec 2019 11:54 am said..

theoptimist wrote:I’m also perplexed by Polledri waiting so long to come on.

I personally like him on the bench (though wouldn’t be upset if he started). The holes he punches are significantly bigger when the oppo are tired but he needs to be on with 35 minutes left on the clock at least if he’s going to make a significant impact.

He went through a massive hole yesterday but then CMK pulled it back for Marler’s injury. I’m not sure what impact Marler had on the Quin’s defensive line but it looked like a case of Jake at his best.

At that moment Jake had turned on the burners ......and I think we could well have scored. Certainly we would have got close to their line as their defence was momentarily stretched. It wasn't to be. He must be used much earlier if he's on the bench.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Silverstander 02 Dec 2019 13:01 pm said..

Agree that the break pulled back by CMK was a pivotal and b unnecessarily pedantic refereeing ...
Equally pivotal tho were
DCs awful non touch kick in first half
BTs awful pen ? Whose decision
Mostert dull pen near end

Fine margins again but none of them Ackerman’s doing
Some you win .....
Silverstander
First team regular

Glen Sannox 02 Dec 2019 16:26 pm said..

Unnecessarily pedantic bit of refereeing? The right decision IMO. I suspect you'd have seen it differently had it been a Glaws player who was injured.
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

SIBARITE 02 Dec 2019 18:07 pm said..

Silverstander wrote:Agree that the break pulled back by CMK was a pivotal and b unnecessarily pedantic refereeing ...
Equally pivotal tho were
DCs awful non touch kick in first half
BTs awful pen ? Whose decision
Mostert dull pen near end

Fine margins again but none of them Ackerman’s doing
Some you win .....

Ackerman picks the team. We lost.
SIBARITE
First team regular

King Prawn Bhuna 02 Dec 2019 18:28 pm said..

The players played the game. We lost.
The referee reffed the game. We lost.
I watched the game. We lost.
The coach driver drove them to the game. We lost.
My lucky shirt was in the cupboard. We lost.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

NorthernShedHead 02 Dec 2019 18:31 pm said..

I started the OGT & was far more chipper than normal.... sorry all
NorthernShedHead
Hero in the making

Original Tetley 02 Dec 2019 18:34 pm said..

On reflection:

'Small margins' is an easy excuse for losing games but in this case I think it's true. If 36 had kicked that regulation 3 points I believe we'd have won. We'd all then be lauding the lads for a rare away win at Quins.

I think this highlights a more fundamental issue for us. The lack of an 85% goal kicker. 2 or 3 times Cips rejected 3 points and kicked to the corner on Sunday and we came away with nothing. He didn't consult the captain (that I could see), he just made the call himself. You could be generous and say that's a show of attacking intent, but I think it showed that Cips didn't particularly fancy the kick. They were both tough-ish kicks, but if we had an 85% goal kicker we'd have kept the scoreboard ticking.

Exeter often kick to the corner in similar circumstances. They, however, do so in the knowledge that they are rejecting an almost guaranteed 3 points. Joe Simmonds or Gareth Steenson are both dead eye. We do so in the knowledge we're turning down a 50% chance of 3 points. Big difference.

I think we need Cips, 36 or dare I say it Owen Williams knocking them over at 80%+ so we can start winning these tight games.

Small margins.
Original Tetley
Senior squad member
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby