The best Centre combination ?

The best Centre combination ?

RTS2 02 Dec 2019 13:05 pm said..

Given the current availability of Centres which is the best combination at 12 and 13 for the next few matches ?.

I do wish the management would get Merab to CG. I really think he would be a fantastic addition to the squad and a rotation of him at 12 with Harris at 13 ; and then Billy with Atkinson would give a lot of sides something to think about.

Trinder would be great cover with either rotation ( if it ever happened) until he is back fully fit ( match -wise ). Let's hope he comes back for a long -run this time. He has had so much bad luck with injury in his career .

For me Atkinson and Billy would be the first choice now. It worked so well when it happened last season. Strange management decision IMO.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Re: The best Centre combination ?

Big Red 02 Dec 2019 13:24 pm said..

Although both 12's, it's got to be Aki/36 for me at the moment and I can't understand why it hasn't been.

When Trinder is fit, Aki and 36 will play together even less as we'll have two natural 13's to go with two natural 12's.

Then there's Owen Williams...
Big Red
Hall of Famer

jeppy89 02 Dec 2019 13:34 pm said..

Said this on another thread.

Teams aren’t worried about our direct threat which is why our wide plays are getting less change. If you had Banners for a few matches in the centres I think we could pivot around him very successfully.
jeppy89
Vice-Captain

Nuts 02 Dec 2019 13:59 pm said..

Just a though as Thorley put in at least one decent shift during an A game playing 13. His pace & power meant he scored a couple IIRC.
Nuts
Vice-Captain

VV 02 Dec 2019 14:08 pm said..

I truly don't know but I really didn't see, and still don't, what extra Harris adds to the mix, other than depth. I feel we have lacked for seasons now, in fact since Trinder was properly fit and firing, a game changing 13, a la Joseph or Slade. And for me a real issue facing us this season is overcoming defences that are getting wise to our standard playlist. We need more creativity, flair beyond our no 10, especially as he's not really found his groove yet, or some improved running lines or just crisper, more accurate passing, which none of the current 3 seem to offer consistently. The real kicker is that you could easily apply the 'best combination' question to at least the backrow and back 3. Arguably, more stability in selection might be one of the triggers to get us out of our slump but injuries can make that difficult. For example, had Woodward been fit, I might suggest taking a look at Marshall at outside centre as we must get him more into the game than we managed yesterday.
We all watch the same match but each of us sees a different game
VV
Senior squad member

DieTrying 02 Dec 2019 22:54 pm said..

I'm surprised we haven't tried Marshall at centre. ( We may have but can't remember ). I know he played there, on occaisons for both the Chiefs and Crusaders. Whilst he's fairly light in weight, his footwork and ability to break the tackle, may give the go forward we need.
DieTrying

steckers 02 Dec 2019 23:00 pm said..

As I mentioned on the other thread - we don't have a good combination. Maybe Trinder's return will help but I somehow doubt it.

Someone mentioned Banahan in centre - that would be worth a look provided he wasn't defensivley liable.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Sky blue 02 Dec 2019 23:08 pm said..

I don’t understand why people have a downer on Harris. He adds pace and physicality to our options and is good defensively. Stick BTT inside him and we’re in decent shape.
Sky blue
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 02 Dec 2019 23:16 pm said..

Sky blue wrote:I don’t understand why people have a downer on Harris. He adds pace and physicality to our options and is good defensively. Stick BTT inside him and we’re in decent shape.

I don't think people have a downer on him but the current combo's aren't working. At the moment, for me, BT is dithering too much, dropping too many balls & flinging too many Hail Mary passes. MA, being a big bloke, again for me, isn't nailing his tackles and being bounced off once too often. However, players do lose a bit of confidence when on a losing run. Maybe just shake it up a little?
DieTrying

Number10 03 Dec 2019 06:02 am said..

I.think atkinson and harris have looked ok. I dont think centre is our problem at the moment. Not enough go forward ball from the pack and a out of form cips are the issues for me. Cips and atkinson on form together was what lit our back line up last season. There were glimpses of it again sunday. The second try the combo worked and we opened them up a couple more times as well. However it is hard to look a good combo when most of our ball is slow
Number10
Hall of Famer
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby