The best Centre combination ?

Re: The best Centre combination ?

Sky blue 03 Dec 2019 07:10 am said..

DieTrying wrote:
Sky blue wrote:I don’t understand why people have a downer on Harris. He adds pace and physicality to our options and is good defensively. Stick BTT inside him and we’re in decent shape.

I don't think people have a downer on him but the current combo's aren't working. At the moment, for me, BT is dithering too much, dropping too many balls & flinging too many Hail Mary passes. MA, being a big bloke, again for me, isn't nailing his tackles and being bounced off once too often. However, players do lose a bit of confidence when on a losing run. Maybe just shake it up a little?

Fair enough. I don't think we've started BTT/Harris together...
Sky blue
Hall of Famer

Big Red 03 Dec 2019 08:05 am said..

Sky blue wrote:
DieTrying wrote:
Sky blue wrote:I don’t understand why people have a downer on Harris. He adds pace and physicality to our options and is good defensively. Stick BTT inside him and we’re in decent shape.

I don't think people have a downer on him but the current combo's aren't working. At the moment, for me, BT is dithering too much, dropping too many balls & flinging too many Hail Mary passes. MA, being a big bloke, again for me, isn't nailing his tackles and being bounced off once too often. However, players do lose a bit of confidence when on a losing run. Maybe just shake it up a little?

Fair enough. I don't think we've started BTT/Harris together...

Away at Montpellier.
Big Red
Hall of Famer

plod 03 Dec 2019 09:16 am said..

Surely Ron Pitt and John Bayliss.
plod
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 03 Dec 2019 10:53 am said..

According to reports Henry Purdy had an impressive debut at Cov on Saturday, scoring one and showing a great turn of pace.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Staggy 03 Dec 2019 11:12 am said..

As has been said, I think that the Glaws attack style has not really worked as well this season. I would like to see some direct running from midfield (like Quins did against us at the weekend) to hold the drift defence. Be it a forward like Morgan or a bigger back like Harris. I have said before that we haven't seen Harris hit his straps yet and I think that is probably because we aren't really using him as a direct runner, which is what I think that he is best at.

I think that if we continue with our intricate passing across the field then BTT and Atkinson (or Williams) are possibly our best combination as both have the range of passing necessary, but it may be that this isn't actually our best means of attack, in which case a hard running Harris or Banahan, or the quick feet and acceleration of Trinder provide a different problem for defences.

Therefore probably horses for courses depending on how we wish to attack.
Staggy
First team regular

steckers 03 Dec 2019 11:19 am said..

I thought that quins had a very effective - run at cipriani tactic. It worked. He missed 4 tackles in first 10 mins.

And his technique was terrible , walking a fine line.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Chalker 03 Dec 2019 12:06 pm said..

steckers wrote:I thought that quins had a very effective - run at cipriani tactic. It worked. He missed 4 tackles in first 10 mins.

And his technique was terrible , walking a fine line.

Whisper it, it does affect the centres when Danny boy is struggling.
Chalker
Hall of Famer

Davers 03 Dec 2019 12:20 pm said..

plod wrote:Surely Ron Pitt and John Bayliss.

Richard Tombs & Terry Fanuloa!
Davers
Senior squad member

David 03 Dec 2019 13:29 pm said..

Jason Little, plus anyone.
Oh, all right - plus Terry Fanolua. With HRH on the bench.
That would do it for me.
:D
David
Hall of Famer

RTS2 03 Dec 2019 18:52 pm said..

Fordy
Peter Pritchard
Paul Taylor
Steve Parsloe

Richard Mogg

Bumble Jones
Steve Baker
Malcolm Preedy
Steve Mills (c)
Phil Blakeway
Boyler
John Orwin
John Gadd
Mike Teague
Mike Longstaff
( best player I ever played in the pack with )

Replacements !
Nick Price
G Thomas
Paul Wood
John Fidler
Gordon Sargent

This was the team selection for the JPC final v Moseley .

That side was fantastic to watch, and Moggy even in his last season was unbelievable. IMO the best all round centre ever to play for the club and not one cap !.. We often forget he played until the end of the 89-90 season and in his final season when he was 34 he score 17 tries and started in 37 matches ! . He played over 500 matches for the club and scored 169 tries !. A legend if there ever was one and would IMO still walk into the side at 13 today.
RTS2
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby