Glaws V Chiefs OGT

Re: Glaws V Chiefs OGT

ladypochita 15 Feb 2020 08:23 am said..

Also won all our scrums on our own feed. 9/11 line outs won for us 7/9 for Exeter and then didn't win all of their scrums on their feed either
ladypochita
Hero in the making

Creamoftheprop 15 Feb 2020 08:29 am said..

For me having watched the game twice, you can pick holes in the finer details, and rightly so, all day. I'd be more interested in our strategy...what are we trying to do in those conditions? Are we trying to play rugby come what may? Do we need to consider horses for courses? A more pragmatic 9 and 10 for wet days if DC cant or more likely wont play conservatively.

The lack of leadership bothers me too. IMO it doesnt matter who has the arm band, it seems to me that DC is captain and coach and conductor, but does that mean he's beyond reproach if he throws three intercepts and volleys a pass into the hands of the opposition rather than diving on it. Not sure the dynamics are right at the minute...
Creamoftheprop
Senior squad member

Forrester 15 Feb 2020 08:34 am said..

ladypochita wrote:Also won all our scrums on our own feed. 9/11 line outs won for us 7/9 for Exeter and then didn't win all of their scrums on their feed either

Stats don’t tell you everything. The two line outs we lost, one lead to their first try and the other was a 5m attacking lineout. In the middle of the park Exeter we’re happy not to compete for the first part.
Morgan, Simpson/Braley we’re under pressure at the base all game. We may have won a lots of scrums but they were largely going backwards even if only slightly.
Forrester
Hall of Famer

Creamoftheprop 15 Feb 2020 08:38 am said..

Forrester wrote:
ladypochita wrote:Also won all our scrums on our own feed. 9/11 line outs won for us 7/9 for Exeter and then didn't win all of their scrums on their feed either

Stats don’t tell you everything. The two line outs we lost, one lead to their first try and the other was a 5m attacking lineout. In the middle of the park Exeter we’re happy not to compete for the first part.
Morgan, Simpson/Braley we’re under pressure at the base all game. We may have won a lots of scrums but they were largely going backwards even if only slightly.

Indeed. Same with the lineout too on occassion, technically we won it but it was backfoot ball and under pressure.
Creamoftheprop
Senior squad member

MarcusRann 15 Feb 2020 08:39 am said..

Exeter's line speed was excellent. Yes they were offside most of the time but if the refs let them get away with it then they're not offside in reality.
I was impressed by Braley and his pass was lightning. Marshall looked dangerous with ball in hand esp as he and others were covering Banners who much as I love him as a team player, is just not quick enough these days.
Our passing technique was very odd for much of the game, quite old fashioned and almost looping. Very different from the flat spun passes we normally see.
Exeter's defence was very good and we needed to use some high risk strategies to try and breach it. Both Ackermann and BTT (right at the end) knocked on running excellent, full tilt, but risky lines. I don't mind this as it shows ambition. Morgan was much more involved and managed a somewhat creaky scrum well. Both teams had problems with the lineout and I must admit again that I was relieved when Gleave came on. His arrows are very good.
The turning took this the game imo was not Hoggs excellent try but the 12 kicked points in as many minutes. It was as if Exeter has asked "Do you want some more?" and Glos rather shied away. We are very lucky to be able to take the excellent and abrasive GG off and replace him with the excellent and abrasive Slater.
We must regroup and win well at Irish otherwise I believe that the patience of all will be tested to the limit.
MarcusRann
Senior squad member

jeppy89 15 Feb 2020 08:41 am said..

Was thinking the same yesterday.

Think Cips needs to be stood down until the ground is a touch firmer.

Need Williams (when fit) to play his game not Cips light.

Sounds knee jerk but he’s not looked interested once in the wet, and like others have said there’s no adaptation to the conditions.

Everyone knows our out the back plays etc know and when done at full speed at 100% accuracy they are still almost unplayable... but in the wet you can’t do that and suddenly you’re getting hammered man and ball as they flood though with the extra second you’ve taken to catch.

A word on 12T and the way he plays... his effort every time he plays puts him as one of the best to ever play for Glos. Fair play to him.
jeppy89
Vice-Captain

Jimbodini 15 Feb 2020 08:44 am said..

Would have to agree with that point completely. We went out there to play baabaas rugby in a storm, which is suicide. Cast your minds back to last season when we beat exeter in the champs cup at sandy park.... how did we beat them? We played them at their own game and beat them at it. Played out to beyond our 22 and then box kicked to compete and just bored them to death with great kick chase and big defence. They didn’t know what to do.

I think when exeter come to town on a night like that it has to be horses for courses and just do exactly that again, take your medicine and save the highlights reel for another week.

I would go as far as to say that the style we played for the majority of last night (play from anywhere) is pretty much tailor made for exeter and just completely plays into their hands. They kick well to us, either winning it back themselves or watch us run from anywhere.... they smash us about a bit and then we either drop it or give away a penalty.... they then either kick to corner, maul and either try or pen.... or go for points and get another 3...... repeat, repeat. They are very happy to do this over and over as are so well coached. The irony being we huffed and puffed most of the night yet they scored the outstanding try of the game.
Jimbodini
Vice-Captain

Jimbodini 15 Feb 2020 08:45 am said..

FWIW next week will be no gimme at all. London Irish have looked good to me this season and it’s a game I fully expect this glaws team to somehow lose sadly. Standard shedweb misplaced arrogance. After the away performance against bris I won’t be backing us to beat anyone on the road for a while.
Jimbodini
Vice-Captain

carterb121 15 Feb 2020 08:58 am said..

I agree, in typical Gloucester fashion I can see us not getting off the bus next week.
But, one thing I don’t understand is Ackerman’s philosophy is play what’s in front of you. Last night, in front of us was a rush defence and heavy rain with a wet surface and greasy ball. Why can’t we play pragmatically?!?!
carterb121
Vice-Captain

Big Red 15 Feb 2020 09:45 am said..

Six defeats in the league (the most), four in Europe and four in the cup. That is not good enough plain and simple.

Time and time again over the years we have a clear game plan and style, but when it doesn’t work we have no Plan B and look completely rudderless. Is it our mentality or is it other clubs that think ‘it’s only Gloucester’ sometimes? You do wonder...

I’m guilty of howling at the ref on many an occasion, but one of the main things we don’t have is the ability to sort it ourselves. Where’s the nastiness from this team? We don’t have it and others do. It’s as simple as that.

When was the last time we took a game by the scruff from the off like Chiefs did last night? I couldn’t see a way back as soon as it went 0-7 and we never got anywhere near. It’s all well and good scoring a few nice consolation tries, but it means sweet FA when the opponents are home and dry and you take no points. We haven’t started a game well all season and I haven’t seen any improvements from our issues - set piece, discipline and lack of possession. Can’t see where the next win is coming from.
Big Red
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby