Glaws V Chiefs OGT

Re: Glaws V Chiefs OGT

colinboag 15 Feb 2020 18:19 pm said..

I watched Tigers v Wasps this afternoon, and what I want from Glaws is to have a pack like Leicester's. I'm sick of us being pushed around, and mauled by every team we meet. Forget the flashy backs, please can we spend every penny we can muster on a pack of forwards that can dominate. I'm still more than hopeful that we'll end up as a top 4 side, but we need to be capable of playing our flash A game on fast pitches, and grinding out a dour win in the mud. Maybe JA needs to learn a bit more about our winter weather, and adapt his thinking accordingly. I was lambasted for suggesting that pre-season was a shambles, but I still have reservations about what's going on behind the scenes - I'd like to think it's a happy camp, but I'm uneasy about it.

I'm rather fearful about LI away - Kidney and Kiss are serious coaches and are doing a really good job with the Exiles.
Cherchez la truffe
colinboag
Hall of Famer

Creamoftheprop 15 Feb 2020 18:44 pm said..

westglos wrote:
steckers wrote: I'm very concerned about Gloucester - there is a small suspicion that the coaching team may be in denial about the shortcomings of the squad. Hope I'm wrong.

It was interesting that in his post match interview with BBC Radio Glaws, Johan was asked about our DoR's search for players for next season...his answer was that "we have a settled squad". I hope that doesn't mean we aren't looking to acquire at least a tighthead, openside, and wing.

Certainly hope its 'a settled squad' with a few to depart and a few to come in. Be extremely concerned if our current squaid is it and we're looking internally to strenghten for next season. We clearly need additions in key areas.
Creamoftheprop
Senior squad member

spanish exile 15 Feb 2020 18:51 pm said..

Creamoftheprop wrote:
westglos wrote:
steckers wrote: I'm very concerned about Gloucester - there is a small suspicion that the coaching team may be in denial about the shortcomings of the squad. Hope I'm wrong.

It was interesting that in his post match interview with BBC Radio Glaws, Johan was asked about our DoR's search for players for next season...his answer was that "we have a settled squad". I hope that doesn't mean we aren't looking to acquire at least a tighthead, openside, and wing.

Certainly hope its 'a settled squad' with a few to depart and a few to come in. Be extremely concerned if our current squaid is it and we're looking internally to strenghten for next season. We clearly need additions in key areas.

Sure he is being diplomatic & that as well as players we are looking at the coaching team - we need a defence coach also perhaps a nasty gnarly old fashioned forwards coach who can teach the pack how to go forward & look to dominate?
spanish exile
Vice-Captain

lucifer 15 Feb 2020 19:37 pm said..

Don't think its been mentioned on here but in last night's programme Lance said there will be an announcement next week about a player joining that will make us very happy indeed. BTW completely agree with your last post Glenn.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

steckers 15 Feb 2020 20:29 pm said..

Problem with that kind of statement is it raises expectation!
steckers
Hall of Famer

ryno_chelt 15 Feb 2020 20:34 pm said..

lucifer wrote:Don't think its been mentioned on here but in last night's programme Lance said there will be an announcement next week about a player joining that will make us very happy indeed. BTW completely agree with your last post Glenn.

That’s exciting. Assume he didn’t give any clues at all? Do we have any ideas who it may be?

A quality new player might help boost the mood of a few bedwetters. From the rumours discussed Paul Hill sounds the most likely. Solid signing if true. Hoping it’s May though. Or a superstar not on the radar.
ryno_chelt
On the board

DieTrying 15 Feb 2020 21:19 pm said..

ryno_chelt wrote:
lucifer wrote:Don't think its been mentioned on here but in last night's programme Lance said there will be an announcement next week about a player joining that will make us very happy indeed. BTW completely agree with your last post Glenn.

That’s exciting. Assume he didn’t give any clues at all? Do we have any ideas who it may be?

A quality new player might help boost the mood of a few bedwetters. From the rumours discussed Paul Hill sounds the most likely. Solid signing if true. Hoping it’s May though. Or a superstar not on the radar.

He might be a solid signing but we seem to, and don't take this the wrong way, only attract / sign second best. Yes we've imported some "superstars" over the years but lately they seem rare. Now IF Marshall is going and I hope he isn't that would free up a marquee Player, so go out and buy one. Sometimes I actually wonder about our ambition as a Club. It was good to see the old players last night, but historically, we've always managed to punch above our weight. Now I'm not so sure.
DieTrying

ryno_chelt 15 Feb 2020 21:25 pm said..

DieTrying wrote:
ryno_chelt wrote:

He might be a solid signing but we seem to, and don't take this the wrong way, only attract / sign second best. Yes we've imported some "superstars" over the years but lately they seem rare. Now IF Marshall is going and I hope he isn't that would free up a marquee Player, so go out and buy one. Sometimes I actually wonder about our ambition as a Club. It was good to see the old players last night, but historically, we've always managed to punch above our weight. Now I'm not so sure.

Is Marshall a marquee? I assumed it was Mostert, then either Rapava-Ruskin on the second year rule or Cips on the second year rule. But if you know it’s Marshall that opens up the potential if he does leave.

Out of interest DT - would May count as a superstar? 50+ caps for England, one of the most consistent internationals, one of the highest English try scorers in history...
ryno_chelt
On the board

DieTrying 15 Feb 2020 21:49 pm said..

A quality new player might help boost the mood of a few bedwetters. From the rumours discussed Paul Hill sounds the most likely. Solid signing if true. Hoping it’s May though. Or a superstar not on the radar.[/quote]

He might be a solid signing but we seem to, and don't take this the wrong way, only attract / sign second best. Yes we've imported some "superstars" over the years but lately they seem rare. Now IF Marshall is going and I hope he isn't that would free up a marquee Player, so go out and buy one. Sometimes I actually wonder about our ambition as a Club. It was good to see the old players last night, but historically, we've always managed to punch above our weight. Now I'm not so sure.[/quote]

Is Marshall a marquee? I assumed it was Mostert, then either Rapava-Ruskin on the second year rule or Cips on the second year rule. But if you know it’s Marshall that opens up the potential if he does leave.

Out of interest DT - would May count as a superstar? 50+ caps for England, one of the most consistent internationals, one of the highest English try scorers in history...[/quote]

I believe Marshall & Afoa were our 2 marquee players before Afoa left and was replaced by Mostert. As for May? I wouldn't disagree with your comments, but feel that his leaving for non rugby reasons, left us in the "crap" and can't really forgive him for that, even though we got Slater in return.
DieTrying

Jimbodini 15 Feb 2020 22:18 pm said..

I would imagine it would be Jonny May. Which I would be over the moon about but still doesn’t sort out the pack.

Our pack should have been whipped into an absolute frenzy last night ready to come out and dust up exeter on our own patch but it looked like them gaining inspiration from their heritage match rather than us.

There’s not a chance in hell they would have been allowed to run the rule over kingsholm like they did with a pack involving vickery woodman Azam paramore et al. God we didn’t realise how good we had it.

There have to be some big nasty forwards out there in the championship or Southern Hemisphere that we could get for a reasonable price. It’s just a case of finding them. I still maintain that we lack some big nasty south sea islanders (paramore, Q)
Jimbodini
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby