Glaws V Chiefs OGT

Re: Glaws V Chiefs OGT

Beddis 14 Feb 2020 23:50 pm said..

Very disappointing performance obviously, but it was against Exeter and they are used to winning and it showed tonight.

They also played the referee far better than we did. Moon was struggling all night and yet only penalised once(?). Similarly they were lying on the ball quite a few times and weren’t penalised. I hope we watch and learn as there is no reason we can’t get to their level.

Steenson had a super game and was the main difference, tackled effectively and kicked superbly. Cips will have better games.

Our stars were the subs, Braley had another very good game, he will be a loss when he goes. Polledri is one of the best back rows in the world right now. Gleave is turning into a very good hooker.

Next week is critical now. We need to get our season back on track, I’m pretty confident we will
Posts: 4172  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis
Moderator

Re: Glaws V Chiefs OGT

Glos1012 15 Feb 2020 00:00 am said..

Fed up. Already been long overtaken and left behind by Exeter and about to be overtaken at the very least by Bristol. JA says the same thing literally word for word after every defeat and the performances are utter crap. I dont even think we have won with a good performance apart from Bath at home. Not much longer to renew the season ticket, lots will have to change for most to renew I believe. Playing southern hemp rugby in the north is stupid also, you cant just chuck it around in the rain.
Posts: 536
Glos1012
Hero in the making

Re: Glaws V Chiefs OGT

jeppy89 15 Feb 2020 00:03 am said..

Glos1012 wrote:Fed up. Already been long overtaken and left behind by Exeter and about to be overtaken at the very least by Bristol. JA says the same thing literally word for word after every defeat and the performances are utter crap. I dont even think we have won with a good performance apart from Bath at home. Not much longer to renew the season ticket, lots will have to change for most to renew I believe. Playing southern hemp rugby in the north is stupid also, you cant just chuck it around in the rain.


And the Bath performance was only in the second half.
Posts: 339
jeppy89
Vice-Captain

Re: Glaws V Chiefs OGT

Baldhead2 15 Feb 2020 00:36 am said..

ryno_chelt wrote:Tigerchef are you always this constructive with your very vocal feedback?

I left today disappointed but not distraught. Thought there was plenty of commitment shown, we weren’t clinical, they were. They played the weather well. We beat so many defenders compared to them and had the lions share of possession and territory.

Polledri is a world beater. Marias and Grobbler worked hard, Braley (who I don’t always rate) player his best game I’ve seen.

Five points next week please lads.


Fair comment .... so when does it become acceptable to not accept that type of performance? If Exeter had performed like that their fans would be furious.

I am inclined to look at the coaching though. Why can’t we sort the line outs, cut out the number of pens or play consistently throughout a game.

With Braley leaving and Kriel gone I hope we can find some top exciting young backs to compliment Thorley and Zammit. The rest is about selecting the right 8 imho.

For this coaching team it’s unacceptable to be so far off Exeter. Saints have found a solution so if we don’t or can’t we will be down there scrapping again.
Posts: 100
Baldhead2
Senior squad member

Re: Glaws V Chiefs OGT

Jimbodini 15 Feb 2020 01:00 am said..

Having been at the game I came out of their feeling it was a pretty piss poor performance from us and Exeter performing a simple yet ruthless game plan to an absolute tee. Their set piece, scrum and in particular, line out is absolutely clockwork. If they get w chance 5m out, they score. In horrendous conditions, they don’t piss ass about with the ball between their 22 and halfway, they kick to compete and by god do they compete. Their box kicks were always on the money and they just put the pressure on glaws who duly imploded. It felt pretty bad and that we had got beaten up.

Having now watched the game back on TV it’s not as bad as I first thought and bar the penalties, (some of which I thought were harsh, at best inconsistent) I think we were competitive and very much in the fight. The issue really is the set piece. Our line outs are sadly becoming a joke. You just cannot be in a situation where ur own line out is a lottery. Every time Exeter get a 5m lineout, they score. We either get turned over or don’t win the lineout. This is just not acceptable and as brilliant as marais is around the park, he either needs to sort it out or start glieve. The scrum for me has been creaking all season and given that was a pretty strong pack we had out tonight it was again a worry for me.

The pack needs to fight as exactly that, a pack. Exeter man for man are no better than us but they work in 2’s and threes to ensure there is no way they are not scoring when 5m out, either via a maul or in general play. We need to somehow develop that.

It saddens me as watching Exeter’s pack reminds me of glaws packs of old. We aren’t a million miles off at all but we really really need to make it count during the week now and see some improvements in the set piece.... which is most definitely possible
Posts: 438
Jimbodini
Vice-Captain

Re: Glaws V Chiefs OGT

kentishglaws 15 Feb 2020 06:53 am said..

Exeter are so well coached, they are greater than the sum of their parts. They play as a unit, there’s a clear vision there of what they’re trying to achieve with the game plan. That is the direct opposite of what I see when I watch us. What is our game plan? We have the players, you only have to look at the some of the names on the team sheet.

So you then have to question the coaching. To have such a bad set piece with those players, it has to be a coaching problem. The same with the game plan, who decides that? I’ve been so supportive of the coaches in the past, but something isn’t right. With the players on that team sheet, they have no clarity, how can that be, it’s not enough just to ask the players to sort it themselves, they need the correct direction.

I’m concerned, I can’t see it changing this season either, we’re far too reliant on individuals to create something, rather than trusting the system.
Posts: 431
kentishglaws
Vice-Captain

Re: Glaws V Chiefs OGT

Forrester 15 Feb 2020 07:03 am said..

Jimbodini wrote:Having been at the game I came out of their feeling it was a pretty piss poor performance from us and Exeter performing a simple yet ruthless game plan to an absolute tee. Their set piece, scrum and in particular, line out is absolutely clockwork. If they get w chance 5m out, they score. In horrendous conditions, they don’t piss ass about with the ball between their 22 and halfway, they kick to compete and by god do they compete. Their box kicks were always on the money and they just put the pressure on glaws who duly imploded. It felt pretty bad and that we had got beaten up.

Having now watched the game back on TV it’s not as bad as I first thought and bar the penalties, (some of which I thought were harsh, at best inconsistent) I think we were competitive and very much in the fight. The issue really is the set piece. Our line outs are sadly becoming a joke. You just cannot be in a situation where ur own line out is a lottery. Every time Exeter get a 5m lineout, they score. We either get turned over or don’t win the lineout. This is just not acceptable and as brilliant as marais is around the park, he either needs to sort it out or start glieve. The scrum for me has been creaking all season and given that was a pretty strong pack we had out tonight it was again a worry for me.

The pack needs to fight as exactly that, a pack. Exeter man for man are no better than us but they work in 2’s and threes to ensure there is no way they are not scoring when 5m out, either via a maul or in general play. We need to somehow develop that.

It saddens me as watching Exeter’s pack reminds me of glaws packs of old. We aren’t a million miles off at all but we really really need to make it count during the week now and see some improvements in the set piece.... which is most definitely possible


Good post. It’s all about the pack, if we can sort that we’ll be fine. My big worry is that it’s been the same problems since September with no improvement. Creaking scrum, rubbish lineout and awful discipline, all things that can be sorted but whatever the coaches are doing it isn’t working so far.
Posts: 1223
Forrester
Hall of Famer

Re: Glaws V Chiefs OGT

Porky 15 Feb 2020 07:34 am said..

Exeter were very good last night - they have a tried and trusted game plan that we (along with all other GP teams aside from the pre-relegation Saracens) do not seem able to defeat. Their defence was just awesome last night and has not been given sufficient credit on this thread.

We made too many handling errors and gave away too many dull penalties to pose any real threat to them until later in the game (when it was already lost). The handling suddenly became slick and assured and the discipline improved. Why wait until the game is lost?

Both lineouts and scrums were "rocky" but ours was worse in crucial situations - again, Exeter know about not conceding close to their line or ours.

Hogg's try was the killer.

Gloucester, in part, was a tale of half-backs: Simpson looked good until he had to go off but Braley was excellent and one of the few positives for me. Danny, on the other hand, had his worst game for us and looked "under-cooked". We missed Willi in those conditions - for his leadership as much as anything.

The officials were OK (apart from the penalty given for BTT being offside from a Braley knock-on, which Callum did not touch, the ball was knocked away by White - 3 points we should not have lost).

Disappointing game but I am not in despair. Better teams than us will lose to Exeter
Time you enjoy wasting is never wasted.
Posts: 1341  Location: Holding on to the floor
User avatar
Porky
Hall of Famer

Re: Glaws V Chiefs OGT

ryno_chelt 15 Feb 2020 08:01 am said..

I’m a glass half ‘fuller’ Tigerchef - but obviously I want us to win. I just feel being permanently angry wouldn’t help me enjoy life.

In this instance I thought Exeter were good, their defence excellent. We weren’t clinical, but it isn’t all doom and gloom. You criticise the MD, Owner, Marketing team, Players, Ref, Coaches etc

For transparency (and yes the score is the stat that matters)

We had more possession (66%), conceded less penalties (by 1)
447 meters by us
263 meters ex
17 Clean Breaks us
4 for them
32 Defenders Beaten for glaws
7 for ex

Let’s not knock the boys confidence anymore, let’s back them to win next week and support.
Posts: 888
ryno_chelt
On the board

Re: Glaws V Chiefs OGT

Gb83 15 Feb 2020 08:19 am said..

ryno_chelt wrote:I’m a glass half ‘fuller’ Tigerchef - but obviously I want us to win. I just feel being permanently angry wouldn’t help me enjoy life.

In this instance I thought Exeter were good, their defence excellent. We weren’t clinical, but it isn’t all doom and gloom. You criticise the MD, Owner, Marketing team, Players, Ref, Coaches etc

For transparency (and yes the score is the stat that matters)

We had more possession (66%), conceded less penalties (by 1)
447 meters by us
263 meters ex
17 Clean Breaks us
4 for them
32 Defenders Beaten for glaws
7 for ex

Let’s not knock the boys confidence anymore, let’s back them to win next week and support.


It would be interesting where all the positive yards etc came in as it didn’t feel like that for the 1st 50 or so. Were we flattered a bit by the late comeback, when Exeter had began to switch off?

Polledri and Clarke have to start now when available, if it’s about minutes play them from the start then take them off after 50, they’re adding impact every time they play.

I’m still concerned with our approach to games, we just don’t adapt and played into Exeter’s hands last night.
Posts: 1929
Gb83
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], paigntoner and 29 guests