Positivity thread

Re: Positivity thread

westglos 21 May 2020 11:52 am said..

caldiglaws wrote:From talking to a lot of guys who work for the NHS my conclusion is they dont want a medal or badge. they have been touched by the Thursday night clapping when its socially distanced. They want a pay rise, we all do but maybe they deserve it more than most.the perks they can get from businesses like free coffee or even staff discounts are greatly appreciated even if many dont take advantage and still pay full price its the thought that counts. Most want their colleagues from overseas to be treated exactly the same as colleagues born in the UK they are one team. To be honest when all this is over what most NHS workers want is for people to remember that they did their best to do their job. to treat all those they could.that the government needs to have plans and equipment ready for another outbreak and invest in actual production of this equipment in the UK so we dont rely solely on imported goods. So medals no lessons learned from this yes

Wouldn't disagree caldiglaws but I'd suggest that there's an even greater need to pay social care staff working in nursing homes or community teams a big pay rise. They are scandolusly underpaid, have been treated dreadfully during the recent crisis with inappropriate PPE, and many of them are threatened with being penalised for being immigrant labour by our current government. How short is the memory of our prime minister?
westglos
Vice-Captain

lucifer 21 May 2020 12:06 pm said..

I saw the figures yesterday, 121 NHS staff have died with CV, 181 Care Home staff. Tragic.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

caldiglaws 21 May 2020 13:15 pm said..

Although my daughter started her working life at 16 in a care home she hasnt worked in one for 8 years and i have no personal contact with people working there so i cant express a valid up to date opinion but im willing to agree they are treated shabbily and underpaid
caldiglaws
Hero in the making

Gloucester Mute 21 May 2020 13:19 pm said..

How many care homes and retirement homes are actually privately owned/run ?? Their owners are just as culpable as the Govt-owned/run ones. Just saying...……..
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2130  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

MarcusRann 21 May 2020 13:45 pm said..

MarcusRann
Vice-Captain

westglos 21 May 2020 16:08 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:How many care homes and retirement homes are actually privately owned/run ?? Their owners are just as culpable as the Govt-owned/run ones. Just saying...……..

Absolutely. The NHS may be a monolithic structure, and at times bureaucratic, but it does have a common set of standards for its services across the country.
The care homes and community care sector support is a mish mash of provision, run by a range of mainly private sector providers, whose motive ultimately is to make profits.
westglos
Vice-Captain

lucifer 21 May 2020 19:29 pm said..

They were mainly local authority run until Thatcher privatised them. Like most of her privatisations it introduced a race to the bottom especially in terms of working conditions. Interesting that some on here think that because many of them are privately owned that exempts the state from its duty of care to protect its population.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

MarcusRann 22 May 2020 06:12 am said..

Lydney to Coleford - by train, FW Harvey

All creeping things the Lord God made.
And thus 'tis demonstrated
A railway-line may be divine;
This engine God-created:
This thing which wakes and sleeps again,
Which crawls and stops and creeps again,
Up slopes and into deeps again,
Through forest shine and shade.

Is yon the driver? Driver! Nay !
'Tis one who leads, I wist,
Upon his crazy way and mazy
Some dark Somnambulist,
Within whose dim and sleep drugged brain
Thoughts move. Call not this dream a train!
This sleeping-beauty, sweetly fain
To loiter through a day.

Who would not loiter? Here the bracken
Gleams green and densely spread,
Here call the birds their pretty words
In leafage overhead.
A butterfly has kept with me
His innocent wavering company
For miles: at moments slept with me
Whenas our pace did slacken.

Abandon hope all ye who here
Enter to keep appointment!
A gift more fair, a gift more rare,
A kind and healing ointment,
This train provides. Then cast away
Dull care, and for a Summer's day
Ignore as dross Time's "Yea" and ""Nay',
Discard Life's fret and fear.

Too oft doth hurry rule us. Let
For once the tumult fade:
Fade into humming of bees coming
Sweet-laden down a glade:
Fade into glint of fern and flower,
Where quarries gleam and foxgloves tower,
And for one lovely lazy hour
Forget - forget - forget.

You will arrive - impatient ass -
Too soon! and then alighting
Meet kith and kin and wag a chin
O'er wrongs past human righting.
Discuss old strife; new scandal:- such
Soft social soot as serves to smutch
A life once tuned to Nature touch
Now seldom felt - alas!
MarcusRann
Vice-Captain

plod 22 May 2020 09:53 am said..

The last verse suggests a carriage load of Shedwebbers.

On a more pressing note, how will we know on what date the Summer Joke thread will open this year?
plod
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 22 May 2020 10:09 am said..

lucifer wrote:They were mainly local authority run until Thatcher privatised them. Like most of her privatisations it introduced a race to the bottom especially in terms of working conditions. Interesting that some on here think that because many of them are privately owned that exempts the state from its duty of care to protect its population.

So it's Thatcher's fault ?? What were the pay and conditions like beforehand ?? Not great I would surmise.

My non-political point was that this sector has been boom-time for both State and private sector owners over the past 20 years - and both have taken advantage of their staff and not upped conditions for staff/patients alike WHILST owners have regularly ramped up the weekly costs of private care homes to astronomical levels.

Don't just have a pop at the State ones - include the robbing/heartless private owners as well !!
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2130  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby