MarcusRann 20 Jun 2020 10:26 am said..

TOS brilliant!
MarcusRann
Vice-Captain

Re: Positivity thread

RTS2 20 Jun 2020 17:35 pm said..

Marvellous ))..

A great character of the Forest.

My Father developed a small site at Abbotswood ( refereed to by Mr Beddington); and when they were putting in the foundations to one of the houses, the main ground worker discovered a tiny entrance in the rock formation to a cavern.

My Great Grandfather owned the whole of the site; and it was sold off for the construction of a building which became a convent and a nursing home in the 1930's.

Sadly it was demolished in the 1970's by a construction company who built over the site; and after they had gone into liquidation my father bought the land adjacent to build the small development on. What was rather nice though was he found the old iron gates to the convent buried . These were reclaimed; restored and proudly now site at a property in Buckshaft.

I found an old perfume bottle on the site as a lad and still have it. My Mother said that she remembers ( being a Buckshaft lass ) one of the nuns who always wore perfume that was made from collecting wild flowers from the woods.

My Father informed the archaeology unit at Bristol University and put the site on stop for three months to allow them to investigate. Long and short, was that they came up and went under ground with a caving team.

Nothing valuable was discovered other than a cavern the size of a large building which was extensively mined in the Roman era for iron ore. Everything had to be recorded and photographed; and then the cavern entrance was ordered to be closed in. The foundation plans were moved and re-designed so that future generations could get access should it ever be required.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

MarcusRann 20 Jun 2020 18:19 pm said..

Fascinating story. They say scratch Gloucestershire and discover Rome.
MarcusRann
Vice-Captain

Nobbler23 20 Jun 2020 18:41 pm said..

Some more great stuff on here, thank you.
I just watched England v West Indies 1995 at Old Trafford on BBC 2, I was there on the last day, started with Dominic Cork hatrick, Brian Lara, beautiful 145, Courtney Walsh hitting a 6, England need 94 to win, and collapse to 48-4, enter that great man of Stroud, Robert Charles "Jack" Russell, brilliant 31 not out to save the day.
Now that was positivity. :D :D
Nobbler23
Vice-Captain

Ken Burney 20 Jun 2020 21:01 pm said..

Yes - that was the same "Jack" Russell who was sometimes dropped in favour of Alec Stewart to bolster England's batting!

Russell should have had many more caps. What a wonderful wicket-keeper!
Ken Burney
Hall of Famer

TheOptimistSenior 20 Jun 2020 21:44 pm said..

RTS2, wonderful personal history, but invaluable history for future generations. Long may it survive for future researchers .
I have just watched the Eng v WI match. Lara was pure class and a level above other mere mortals! Fantastic cricket!

Jack Russell was the perfect man for this situation. Glos. through and through, never a back step and a perfect result!
DavidSillince, the slopes of Mayhill.
TheOptimistSenior
Hero in the making

DieTrying 20 Jun 2020 23:08 pm said..

Ken Burney wrote:Yes - that was the same "Jack" Russell who was sometimes dropped in favour of Alec Stewart to bolster England's batting!

Russell should have had many more caps. What a wonderful wicket-keeper!

If I remember correctly Stewarts avg dropped like a stone when he played WK, but he played for Surrey and daddy worked for the ECB.
John Neary
DieTrying

RTS2 20 Jun 2020 23:35 pm said..

We have heard a fair bit on the thread about Gloucestershire poets and a lot about Ivor Gurney. A close friend of his was born in Lydney as the youngest child to a painter and decorator (Oliver Howells ) who had the misfortune of being made bankrupt in 1905. That was (in those days) within a small community, something which carried with it great stigma. This, along with other tragic personal experiences probably shaped some his own representation of creative musical genius.

From his relatively humble Forest background, a young Herbert Howells became an articled pupil under the watchful eye of Herbert Brewer organist at Gloucester Cathedral, and alongside fellow pupil Ivor Gurney. The two remained close friends and poetry and music combined between the two. They both went to study together at the Royal Academy. Howells Piano Quartet in A minor was dedicated to Ivor Gurney and to Chosen Hill.

Howells music has been played throughout the World by many top orchestra’s and choirs, and he is recognised ( in his own way ) as one of the most profound of British 20th Century composers.

A thought provoking and peaceful way to start a Sunday morning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Tlik9vfJ0
RTS2
Hall of Famer

MarcusRann 21 Jun 2020 05:49 am said..

Long Summer, Laurie Lee

Gold as an infant’s humming dream,
Stamped with its timeless, tropic blush,
The steady sun stands in the air
And burns like Moses’ holy bush.

And burns while nothing it consumes;
The smoking branch but greener grows,
The crackling briar, from budded lips,
A floating stream of blossom blows.

A daze of hours, a blaze of noons,
Licks my cold shadow from the ground;
A flaming trident rears each dawn
To stir the blood of earth around.

Unsinged beneath the furnace sky
The frenzied beetle runs reborn,
The ant his antic mountain moves,
The rampant ram rewinds his horn.

I see the crazy bees drop fat
From tulips ten times gorged and dry;
I see the sated swallow plunge
To drink the dazzled waterfly.

A halo flares around my head,
A sunflower flares across the sun,
While down the summer’s seamless haze
Such feasts of milk and honey run

That lying with my orchid love,
Whose kiss no frost of age can sever,
I cannot doubt the cold is dead,
The gold earth turned to good – forever.
MarcusRann
Vice-Captain

MarcusRann 21 Jun 2020 06:20 am said..

Thanks RTS I have a Howells playlist on the go this morning. Perfect.

Howells, Harvey and Gurney. A trio any county or country would be proud of.
MarcusRann
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby