Positivity thread

Re: Positivity thread

Graham Cartmell 05 Jul 2020 11:59 am said..

plod wrote:I still would like to know if the off side line at a ruck is hindmost foot or hindmost part of body.

Me too!!!
The older I get the faster I was. Used to be known as Peanutcoxy
Graham Cartmell
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 05 Jul 2020 12:14 pm said..

My clear understanding - and the way I always refereed it - was that the hindmost foot is the back of the ruck + you cannot handle the ball in a ruck. Therefore when a player reaches back with the ball he should release the ball immediately and/or if his hand (still on the ball) extends past the hindmost foot he should remove his hand controlling ball immediately AND that the ball is out (and free to be played). As a referee I would manage this phase of play via verbal instruction to grounded player/9 and/or opposition by shouting "Ball's out".

I would also probably refer to it in my pre-match briefing of the breakdown.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2415  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Graham Cartmell 05 Jul 2020 13:07 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:My clear understanding - and the way I always refereed it - was that the hindmost foot is the back of the ruck + you cannot handle the ball in a ruck. Therefore when a player reaches back with the ball he should release the ball immediately and/or if his hand (still on the ball) extends past the hindmost foot he should remove his hand controlling ball immediately AND that the ball is out (and free to be played). As a referee I would manage this phase of play via verbal instruction to grounded player/9 and/or opposition by shouting "Ball's out".

I would also probably refer to it in my pre-match briefing of the breakdown.

Thank you, very clear
The older I get the faster I was. Used to be known as Peanutcoxy
Graham Cartmell
Hall of Famer

plod 05 Jul 2020 13:36 pm said..

I thought that your answer would be so. An incident occurred during the Highlanders v Crusaders game when a player at the back of the ruck held his hand over the ball waiting for the scrum half to pick it up. I felt that the bill was then “out”. Opposition players seemed to hesitate to go for it. This is a weakness of the system whereby the referee is constantly shouting instructions to the players. These may well be waiting for him to say that the ball is playable.
plod
Hall of Famer
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby