Japan Team after Ackermann

Re: Japan Team after Ackermann

robs1 20 May 2020 14:05 pm said..

JC wrote:

So GRFC are now in a position where Ackermann’s experience saw him build a super rugby team from scratch and get them to two finals in a 4 year period, which is what attracted DH to recruiting him for GRFC. DH was successful, he was Glos HC for another three years before leaving. Overall, 7 years of experience.

Rory Teague’s longest stint as a HC was with Bordeaux from Jan-Nov 2018, (why did he step down?) with various other coaching positions in his career. He’s now potentially being promoted to HC at GRFC, with that 11 month period on his CV.

To me, we’ve lost a proven HC for an unknown quantity as HC. 7 years against 11 months experience.

Why doesn’t this ever happen at any of the other Premiership clubs?

IIRC PSA started his coaching with us and didnt do a bad job
robs1
Hall of Famer

lucifer 20 May 2020 14:18 pm said..

Exactly, everyone has to start somewhere and if the initial appointment is short term we soon have the option of renewing or cancelling depending on performance.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

stuartjames 20 May 2020 14:43 pm said..

Rory Teague’s longest stint as a HC was with Bordeaux from Jan-Nov 2018, (why did he step down?) with various other coaching positions in his career. He’s now potentially being promoted to HC at GRFC, with that 11 month period on his CV.

He was bought in at Bordeaux as backs coach I think , and then the FFR poached Brunel (Jan 2018) and they promoted from within and RT got the HC job. I think in this case it was needs must for Bordeaux, and once they finished the season they looked for a a new HC and Rory got the shove once the new HC had settled in.
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

foresterinyorks 20 May 2020 16:25 pm said..

There is a communication from LB on the latest newsletter.
Never Stay Down.
foresterinyorks
Hall of Famer

JC 20 May 2020 16:44 pm said..

Ken Burney wrote:JC ... Lee Blackett at Wasps. He has done well so far, albeit in a short period.

Good point Ken, he has to be fair, but Blackett was already an assistant coach within the Wasps set up, since 2015 to be exact. In contrast, we're now looking at a potential HC who's been at GRFC since July last year.

Appreciate that RT has gained various experience at different locations to build his profile, but to reference Blackett at Wasps, a previous assistant coach, isn't Tim Taylor in a similar position as GRFC Backs coach since 2016? Wouldn't TT have been the obvious option?

It is, what is is now, so we'll just have to see how things progress when the season resumes.

Let's hope the rot within GRFC stops here.
Posts: 512  Location: North County Dublin, via The Longlevens Hood, Castle Grim and Old Richians...
JC
Hero in the making

Gloucester Mute 20 May 2020 17:48 pm said..

I know it may cut little ice to some but don't forget that RT got brought into the England U20 and main set-ups so must have some potential in the minds of some. Pedigree comes with experience and age.

Give RT the gig and move on coaching-wise.

And look at the management !!
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2415  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

spanish exile 20 May 2020 17:55 pm said..

foresterinyorks wrote:There is a communication from LB on the latest newsletter.

Whats it say please
spanish exile
Hero in the making

stuartjames 20 May 2020 18:05 pm said..

In contrast, we're now looking at a potential HC who's been at GRFC since July last year.

Or the alternative, a potential HC who's been at GRFC since this June !
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

foresterinyorks 20 May 2020 18:20 pm said..

spanish exile wrote:
foresterinyorks wrote:There is a communication from LB on the latest newsletter.

Whats it say please

Dear Supporter,
In July, Johan Ackermann will be leaving Gloucester Rugby to join the NTT DoCoMo
Red Hurricanes in Japan.
Johan approached us a couple of weeks ago to say that he had been presented with
a few coaching opportunities, and for personal reasons would like permission to
pursue them. Understanding his personal reasons, we granted him that permission.
We of course wish him all the very best in his new adventure.
As we have known about Johan’s plans for a little while, David Humphreys has
drawn up a shortlist of potential candidates, and now that things are finalized
between Johan and the Red Hurricanes we can start the process of approaching our
potential candidates.
Once we have agreed on the appointment of a new Head Coach we will let you
know.
I have obviously seen the speculation over the last few days. It would have been
good to be able to let you know about this matter sooner, but given that things have
only just been finalized I hope you understand the reasons for only letting you know
now.
There have been some pretty wild suggestions in the press and on social media
about what is happening within our Club. Life is too short to refute all of them, but
what I would say is that, as I’m sure you know, you cannot believe everything you
read. We have a great squad of players, coaches, support staff and commercial
staff. We’re strong as a team and we will continue to work together to bring the
success to Gloucester Rugby that we all strive for.
As always, but especially now, we hugely appreciate your support.
Yours sincerely
Lance Bradley
Chief Executive Officer
Never Stay Down.
foresterinyorks
Hall of Famer

Lebowski 20 May 2020 19:44 pm said..

Good post Mute.

I really have no idea who to believe here. I don’t know if there is something seriously wrong and toxic, or if the likes of Andy Goode are shizzle stirring.

One thing I am certain about however is that a few people on here are jumping to massive conclusions and casting some serious aspersions about individuals without providing one single shred of evidence to back them up.
Lebowski
Dude
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby