Japan Team after Ackermann

Re: Japan Team after Ackermann

Ferret 21 May 2020 08:04 am said..

I have always DH very amiable and when the cameras focus on him shows the same emotions the rest of us do.
I am in no doubt that he will fully engage in trying to keep the wheels on.
We would all like utopia if such a thing exists.
For forty odd years I have seen players and coaches come and go. We will be ok
Ferret
On the board

TheOtherJonny 21 May 2020 08:16 am said..

TP17 wrote:
Oxford Glaws wrote:Personally, I find David Humphreys to be a highly courteous individual - perhaps a little more serious-minded and cerebral than many at the club (and maybe that's what makes him disliked by some). He certainly never gurned and shrugged his way through TV interviews after we have lost badly, nor does he clown around on podcasts, but this is a good thing in my book. It's notable how folk on here who cartwheel in ecstacy when he pulls of some major signing coup, (Ackermann, Cips, Slater etc), but as soon as there is the sniff of any dissent in the dressing room he is suddenly the author of all our woes.

Couldn’t agree more. It’s very tedious.

I also agree strongly with this, and I did find the orginal comment (snake thing) particularly inappropriate. :cry:
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
Posts: 325  Location: Malvern Wells (most evenings and weekends) Cheltenham (office hours) Kingsholm (home fixtures)
TheOtherJonny
Vice-Captain

colinboag 21 May 2020 08:28 am said..

The person who made that rather tasteless comment could well be an ex-player or a relative of one. I've always found DH very approachable and pleasant, but I have heard negative comments from former players or their connections that are no doubt coloured by contract negotiations that didn't go in the way they'd hoped / anticipated. I guess it was always thus.
Cherchez la truffe
colinboag
Hall of Famer

steckers 21 May 2020 08:57 am said..

I agree, having heard many many things about DH I have always concluded that part of his job is to be the 'bad cop' whilst JA is the 'good cop'.

With regards to Andy Goode - he is a rugby journalist these days and therefore I don't believe he would deliberately spread something he didn't believe to be accurate. Surely his reputation is more important to him? Colin could probably comment on the accuracy of that assumption.

That said, I have heard some things this week (from a very reliable source - and i have been asked not to post it on here) but I can say it is not entirely consistent with Goode's revelations.

I don't know what to believe. But I do believe that there has been a mini-soap opera at the club this year (maybe that's too dramatic) and perhaps this explains a lot of things, most importantly results. I also wonder if the club are being completely truthful on the topic.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Lebowski 21 May 2020 09:01 am said..

That clears that up.
Lebowski
Dude

Allez Glaws 21 May 2020 09:29 am said..

Regarding Goode and his journalist reputation. It is both in his interest to be accurate and also newsworthy. Those two aren't always compatible.
Allez Glaws
On the board

steckers 21 May 2020 09:31 am said..

Sorry Leb - if that's in response to my post - I'm not able to clear it up. The way that I look at it - there are 2 sides to every story!!!

Re Goode - I don't think you stay newsworthy if people don't believe what you are reporting.
steckers
Hall of Famer

JamesK 21 May 2020 09:49 am said..

steckers wrote:
With regards to Andy Goode - he is a rugby journalist these days and therefore I don't believe he would deliberately spread something he didn't believe to be accurate. Surely his reputation is more important to him? Colin could probably comment on the accuracy of that assumption.

Some journalists find that false stories can accelerate their careers. The key is not to get caught or at least allow enough wriggle room in the fake news that your can deny it is an outright lie. The current Prime Minister is an interesting case study in this regard. Overall his career has progressed very nicely and been boosted by some very dubious claims in his columns. However when he has been caught telling an undeniable porky he has had to take a few steps back:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 29076.html
JamesK
On the board

foresterinyorks 21 May 2020 09:58 am said..

Regarding Mr Goode, there is a significant difference between believing something to be true and it actually being true.
Never Stay Down.
foresterinyorks
Hall of Famer

plod 21 May 2020 10:00 am said..

I took Leb’s remark to be tongue in cheek.
plod
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby