Re: Next Head Coach should be.....

stevieb 22 May 2020 08:46 am said..

or onwards and on to the next 2 year repetitive 'jam tomorrow' cycle :cry:
stevieb
Hall of Famer

stuartjames 22 May 2020 09:10 am said..

or onwards and on to the next 2 year repetitive 'jam tomorrow' cycle

More like a 3 year cycle. I've got hold out some hope that GRFC survive the shutdown and perhaps promoting from within will have a better outcome than continually parachuting in some saviour from the other side of the Severn/World , 'cos that's not worked for the last X years, every time we've tried it.

At some point we have to try a coach who doesn't need a 2 year re-building phase followed by a final year contract drifting towards mediocrity.

TBH we're going to lose a few big name players I expect , even some South Africans, as the stuff hits the fan and they going looking for a pay cheque when realistically the whole sport is going to have to retract and start paying a more realistic salary to everyone involved, no matter what Mr Lansdown says.
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

foresterinyorks 22 May 2020 09:21 am said..

Yes Stuart. I am convinced that the structure of our sport will be very different after this enforced interregnum. It is commensurate on the club to be prepared for that and employing some locally bred staff may be a step in the right direction. I hope so.
Never Stay Down.
foresterinyorks
Hall of Famer

JC 22 May 2020 09:32 am said..

stuartjames wrote:
More like a 3 year cycle. I've got hold out some hope that GRFC survive the shutdown and perhaps promoting from within will have a better outcome than continually parachuting in some saviour from the other side of the Severn/World , 'cos that's not worked for the last X years, every time we've tried .

But it was working Stu and this is the frustrating thing over Ackermann’s departure.

In Ackermann’s first season we finished 6th and gained access to the Heineken Cup. Last season we finished 3rd, made the play-offs for the first time in 10 years and were still in the Heineken Cup.
Bar this season before the lockdown we were 9th, but with games still to play Stuart, finishing top 6/4 was achievable.

If we had completed the season and finished 9th then there would be some weight to your opinion, but we didn’t and we’ve now lost the coach who was turning GRFC around.
Posts: 498  Location: North County Dublin, via The Longlevens Hood, Castle Grim and Old Richians...
JC
Vice-Captain

Fat Taff 22 May 2020 09:49 am said..

Thoroughly fed up with the entire situation.

With a few exceptions, and despite all of the speculation, no one knows what's really happened to put us where we are now.

One conclusion that's reasonable to draw is that it's been badly handled, and at present, to the rest of the professional community, we look like a rank shower of amateurs.

There's more important things in all of our lives at the moment, but that doesn't stop the situation being thoroughly depressing
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 22 May 2020 09:57 am said..

Chris Jones wrote:Can someone explain to me just how the “brilliant” SV is “excelling” at Wasps?

Enough to get himself appointed as Group CEO for WHL and not just sport.
Overseen the new playing management structure, overseen the acquisition of the new training facility and I believe steering them well through the Covid19 period.
He's approachable to the sponsors and the fans and proactively putting the club on firmer foundations ...hardly knee jerk crisis management and running a social media popularity contest with the critics...

I know who I'd rather have in place at the moment.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
King Prawn Bhuna

spanish exile 22 May 2020 10:11 am said..

JC wrote:
stuartjames wrote:
More like a 3 year cycle. I've got hold out some hope that GRFC survive the shutdown and perhaps promoting from within will have a better outcome than continually parachuting in some saviour from the other side of the Severn/World , 'cos that's not worked for the last X years, every time we've tried .

But it was working Stu and this is the frustrating thing over Ackermann’s departure.

In Ackermann’s first season we finished 6th and gained access to the Heineken Cup. Last season we finished 3rd, made the play-offs for the first time in 10 years and were still in the Heineken Cup.
Bar this season before the lockdown we were 9th, but with games still to play Stuart, finishing top 6/4 was achievable.

If we had completed the season and finished 9th then there would be some weight to your opinion, but we didn’t and we’ve now lost the coach who was turning GRFC around.

Was it really working or had the bubble burst??
This season has been a big backward step even with JA, it wasn't long ago we were criticising him for not playing according to the conditions & a lack of plan B, if the season had carried on there was no guarantee of a turnaround or any improvement on 9th.
Perhaps then JA leaving for whatever reason isn't such a bad thing after all & it gives someone else a chance to actually take 2 steps forward not 1 forward 2 back like JA?

As for players leaving yes when their contracts expire or if their contracts are bought out but as there won't be loads of spare cash around in the game offers may be few leaving players from wherever clinging to their existing contracts to provide an income.

Change has to happen but with the several rich owners around I think they may look upon this situation as an opportunity to splurge the cash where others can't afford to so they get to the top of the pile.
It really needs the 7 or 8 'normal' clubs to stand together tell the super rich to go away & create their own super rich European league whilst they then focus on English Club rugby hopefully supported by the RFU - this may condemn Glos to a future away from the very top table but at least they should survive & prosper.
spanish exile
Hero in the making

shawnsheep 22 May 2020 11:23 am said..

As for players leaving yes when their contracts expire or if their contracts are bought out but as there won't be loads of spare cash around in the game offers may be few leaving players from wherever clinging to their existing contracts to provide an income.

Change has to happen but with the several rich owners around I think they may look upon this situation as an opportunity to splurge the cash where others can't afford to so they get to the top of the pile.
It really needs the 7 or 8 'normal' clubs to stand together tell the super rich to go away & create their own super rich European league whilst they then focus on English Club rugby hopefully supported by the RFU - this may condemn Glos to a future away from the very top table but at least they should survive & prosper

We appear to be losing quite a few high profile players but that money doesn't appear to be being invested back into the team, Jonny May apart, I assume Ealing Trailfinders players do not cost the big bucks.

With CVC now buying into the Pro14, what the "normal clubs" think is not going to matter. There will be fewer teams around, so the money does not have to go so far, not sure MsQ would want to be part of that, however, as he never says anything, not sure what MsQ wants.
shawnsheep
Vice-Captain

stuartjames 22 May 2020 11:50 am said..

We can't go back, he's left, so we're into that cycle whether it was going to be different this time or not.

In Ackermann’s first season we finished 6th and gained access to the Heineken Cup

we actually finished 7th and qualified as Cardiff had already qualified via the pro14, but yes things did look better for a while.
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

bisto 22 May 2020 13:06 pm said..

I had a go at drafting a job ad listing some of the pros and cons and included
Pros
Fervently loyal fan base,talented squad capable of top four finish,iconic ground and supportive chairman.
Cons
Rumoured discord at higher management level
Rumoured militancy within playing and coaching staff
Lack of training facilities from 2021
Increase in investment levels unlikely.

Butting aside the rumours I thought the lack of training facilities and investment would be a real problems to any prospective quality coach . Has there been any news on the training facilities ?
bisto
On a trial
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby