Next Head Coach should be.....

Re: Next Head Coach should be.....

TP17 23 May 2020 08:59 am said..

LB has also tweeted that they’re trying to sort out a digital fans forum, which would be welcome.
TP17
Hall of Famer

Legendoft'Autostrada 23 May 2020 09:38 am said..

I think a clear-the-air statement, which would be the prerogative of owner/CEO/DofR, is overdue but would still be welcome. But I suppose that is most likely to come on the announcement of interim or permanent head coach (and I don't expect that very soon given there's nothing and no-one to coach right now!)

On a more mundane level, the club's social media has been excellent during this lockdown. Re-runs of old matches, the GR Jukebox (blimey, we have scored some sensational tries), the Thursday Tales series etc.

So on a tactical level, the public relations have been very good; on a strategic level, not so good, I'm afraid.
Legendoft'Autostrada
Leg-end

Gloucester Mute 23 May 2020 09:40 am said..

But would Lance be in the front-row with his bobble-hat and scarf OR on top table ?? ;)
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2125  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Hucclecote Glaws 23 May 2020 13:21 pm said..

An interesting interview in the Times yesterday with Michael Cheika. In it, he says that he intends to return to full time coaching and that, when he was in Europe earlier this year, doing BBC commentary work during the Six Nations, some early conversations were initiated.

He also said “I’ve always felt that I couldn’t ever go back and coach against a team I’ve already coached. I feel that’s almost being a traitor; I know this is probably not very cool or modern day professional. But that’s been in my mind with a couple of conversations I’ve had in France.”

Which as he's coached Leinster and Stade Francais, would seem to rule out the Pro 14 and Top 14. If we could sign him up, given the way he transformed Leinster, he would be a very clear statement of intent. I didn't realise he was available, which changes my previous view that Rory Teague would be the best appointment. Cheika as head coach, with Teague being developed as his successor, sounds very good to me.
"In my experience, eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles."

Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones
Hucclecote Glaws
Hall of Famer

Ciren35 23 May 2020 13:33 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:But would Lance be in the front-row with his bobble-hat and scarf OR on top table ?? ;)

I think the lockdown has given you a renewed sense of devilment Mute, as you're on fire at the moment :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ciren35
Senior squad member

spanish exile 23 May 2020 13:41 pm said..

Legendoft'Autostrada wrote:I think a clear-the-air statement, which would be the prerogative of owner/CEO/DofR, is overdue but would still be welcome. But I suppose that is most likely to come on the announcement of interim or permanent head coach (and I don't expect that very soon given there's nothing and no-one to coach right now!)

On a more mundane level, the club's social media has been excellent during this lockdown. Re-runs of old matches, the GR Jukebox (blimey, we have scored some sensational tries), the Thursday Tales series etc.

So on a tactical level, the public relations have been very good; on a strategic level, not so good, I'm afraid.

Just out of interest I wonder whether we are in the minority of fans (those on Shedweb) who want something done/said/announced etc etc + what do we want said if there is nothing to actually say other than perhaps what is a timetable for a new Coach??
spanish exile
Hero in the making

colinboag 23 May 2020 14:31 pm said..

What I want to know before anything else is whether the club will survive as a professional outfit. I'm sure I'll be told off for being negative, but I think things at quite a few Premiership clubs are a lot worse than many imagine.
Cherchez la truffe
colinboag
Hall of Famer

Hucclecote Glaws 23 May 2020 14:58 pm said..

I think until a definite date for the Premiership to resume is known, it won't be known whether or not all the clubs will survive.
"In my experience, eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles."

Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones
Hucclecote Glaws
Hall of Famer

Number10 23 May 2020 14:59 pm said..

colinboag wrote:What I want to know before anything else is whether the club will survive as a professional outfit. I'm sure I'll be told off for being negative, but I think things at quite a few Premiership clubs are a lot worse than many imagine.

I would hope we would be ok but if you listen to the football world lots of the people in the know seem to think that a lot of league 1 and 2 sides could be in trouble especially if behind closed doors is a thing for 6 months plus. I would say most pren rugby teams, excluding 3 or 4, would be in the same boat as these football teams.
Number10
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 23 May 2020 15:44 pm said..

Hucclecote Glaws wrote:An interesting interview in the Times yesterday with Michael Cheika. In it, he says that he intends to return to full time coaching and that, when he was in Europe earlier this year, doing BBC commentary work during the Six Nations, some early conversations were initiated.

He also said “I’ve always felt that I couldn’t ever go back and coach against a team I’ve already coached. I feel that’s almost being a traitor; I know this is probably not very cool or modern day professional. But that’s been in my mind with a couple of conversations I’ve had in France.”

Which as he's coached Leinster and Stade Francais, would seem to rule out the Pro 14 and Top 14. If we could sign him up, given the way he transformed Leinster, he would be a very clear statement of intent. I didn't realise he was available, which changes my previous view that Rory Teague would be the best appointment. Cheika as head coach, with Teague being developed as his successor, sounds very good to me.

Whilst acknowledging Cheika's undoubted good work from a club perspective and his ability to get the Aussies to compete on the world stage I would be afraid of seeing MC @ CG. Why ?? All I can remember of MC from his last year in rugby was his bitterness, his paranoia, his comments about referees, his fall-outs with top players and some crass tactical decisions/errors. I also think he would be very expensive salary-wise, high maintenance ego-wise and would start out on a root-and-branch change at CG. A change that is frankly unaffordable in the straightened times we are moving into.

Whilst nervous I would go with the DH + RT/TT/TW + new Defence Coach dream-team for now. Would demonstrate confidence in what we have + incur zero extra cost.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2125  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby