Next Head Coach should be.....

Re: Next Head Coach should be.....

Oxford Glaws 23 May 2020 16:39 pm said..

colinboag wrote:What I want to know before anything else is whether the club will survive as a professional outfit. I'm sure I'll be told off for being negative, but I think things at quite a few Premiership clubs are a lot worse than many imagine.

Not negative, just realistic. On the expenditure side we have a monster salaries bill, a large business loan to service and a new training ground to build. On the income side, ground capacity will probably have to reduce (even if distancing is reduced to 1m), conferencing will have shrunk to virtually nothing and hospitality is likely to reduce substantially.

I reckon there will be three or four clubs with a completely full-time squad with most earning less than £100k, the rest (including us) will have a full-time squad of around 23 with the rest comprising part-timers. These players will look to go to university before platying semi-professionally, so that thye can have a career while playing. We might even see some sort of college draft (ie. closer to the NFL system). In these circumstances, the academy might prove to be a luxury we cannot afford.
www.fumblings.net
Oxford Glaws
Hall of Famer

Number10 23 May 2020 17:26 pm said..

Oxford Glaws wrote:
colinboag wrote:What I want to know before anything else is whether the club will survive as a professional outfit. I'm sure I'll be told off for being negative, but I think things at quite a few Premiership clubs are a lot worse than many imagine.

Not negative, just realistic. On the expenditure side we have a monster salaries bill, a large business loan to service and a new training ground to build. On the income side, ground capacity will probably have to reduce (even if distancing is reduced to 1m), conferencing will have shrunk to virtually nothing and hospitality is likely to reduce substantially.

I reckon there will be three or four clubs with a completely full-time squad with most earning less than £100k, the rest (including us) will have a full-time squad of around 23 with the rest comprising part-timers. These players will look to go to university before platying semi-professionally, so that thye can have a career while playing. We might even see some sort of college draft (ie. closer to the NFL system). In these circumstances, the academy might prove to be a luxury we cannot afford.

Or would our excellent academy be the thing that keeps us going?
Number10
Hall of Famer

madders 23 May 2020 17:50 pm said..

We seem to lose the best ones.
I started off with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left.
madders
Hall of Famer

lucifer 23 May 2020 18:49 pm said..

OG, that scenario doesn't see us die though. As said elsewhere there are dozens of clubs (including other pro sports) in a similar situation to us and it's not as if there are loads of others banging on the door trying to take our place. What you suggest is that we (and others) will have to adapt in order to survive which may be no bad thing in the long term. And that may mean, as Madders mentions, we don't lose so many good ones from the academy.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

Still Realistic 23 May 2020 21:00 pm said..

madders wrote:We seem to lose the best ones.

Really? We can't keep them all and decisions have to be made. Yes some will go on to big things elsewhere but I think we so pretty well out of our academy which seems to produce more than most.
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer

shawnsheep 24 May 2020 07:24 am said..

Mostert and Ruan now being added to the list of departure and possibly even DH.

There's normally no smoke without fire.

But hey, I'm sure the club has it all under control.
shawnsheep
Vice-Captain

Fat Taff 24 May 2020 07:29 am said..

shawnsheep wrote:Mostert and Ruan now being added to the list of departure and possibly even DH.

Where's that come from?
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

London Shed Head 24 May 2020 07:33 am said..

Fat Taff wrote:
shawnsheep wrote:Mostert and Ruan now being added to the list of departure and possibly even DH.

Where's that come from?

Fissler in TRP as per my post on the rumours thread
London Shed Head
On the board

Shedsince '68 24 May 2020 07:39 am said..

Rugby paper also saying Dreyer going back to the Lions. The board reported to want to appoint Teague as head coach, while Humphreys want's Howley.
Shedsince '68
Turns out for the A team

Still Realistic 24 May 2020 08:34 am said..

Can someone make the case FOR Rob Howley?
He obviously has international experience but he seemed to cop a lot of flack for what was wrong with the Welsh gameplan / backs at the time, was this justified?
Considering his ban I doubt his wage demands will be anything like as high as they would have been or as high as other high profile coaches?
As an "outsider" he would shake things up but surely that would lead to another rebuild and "jam tomorrow" phase?

Thoughts please
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby