Next Head Coach should be.....

Re: Next Head Coach should be.....

Asgard 06 Jun 2020 09:51 am said..

I'm not sure it matters who the next coach is - he/she/it will be sacked in two years time.
Asgard
Hall of Famer

Manylayers 06 Jun 2020 09:53 am said..

I’ve heard that there is some player unrest at Edinburgh so maybe Cockers is not out of the question?
Manylayers
Senior squad member

spanish exile 06 Jun 2020 10:50 am said..

What has really surprised me is that no one from Shedweb has been asked to sit on the interview panel. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
spanish exile
Hero in the making

The Vic 06 Jun 2020 11:00 am said..

spanish exile wrote:What has really surprised me is that no one from Shedweb has been asked to sit on the interview panel. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha ha... but there are just so many rugby gods on this site that have achieved incredible heights at elite level sport... you are right it beggars belief
The Vic
Hall of Famer

RTS2 06 Jun 2020 11:21 am said..

Whoever is appointed they have to achieve a lot of the basics and quickly.

1) Have the players respect and full attention from both reputation and personality.

2) Be strong enough to recognise the clubs heritage BUT be able to look at what they have at CG in terms of players and existing facilities and work a way out to look forward not backwards and to stamp their authority .

3) Develop a game plan that works to the squad and develop a work ethnic that encourages just that....hard work commitment and CONSISTENCY.

4) A coach who ouses a hard work ethic and commitment with NO place for lethargy. Someone who has energy and the ability to get the best out of EVERY squad member.

5) A H/C who demands quality and who can get players to enjoy winning again .

6) A H/C who has the ability to build a strong coaching team around him .

7) A H/C who goes about their business but creating a reliable style of rugby and who can get his senior players to be totally honest about how they conduct themselves on and off the pitch and how they perform on match day. Player management will require a recognition for enthusiasm and self-motivation . We need a H/C who will demand both and know how to encourage but also when to shout. A H/C who installs standards and does not tolerate anything below those standards.

8) A balanced coach who will gear in the forwards but allow the skill we have in the backs to be expressive. A structured coach who get the right balance between attack and defence.

9) A H/C who has the strength to create a framework and keeps the leash on any tolerance of ANY individual.

10 ) A H/C who has the right credibility to be able to recruit when needed.

Not a lot then ..... ;) :) ....and that is just for starters.....
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Chris Jones 06 Jun 2020 11:54 am said..

That’s a great summary!

Experience and tough (but fair) talking should also be right up there!

This is such an important appointment and if correct will not cost a penny...it will be self financing from improved attendances and sponsorship
Chris Jones
Vice-Captain

Not1eyed 06 Jun 2020 12:54 pm said..

A very comprehensive summary RTS. Who would get your vote?
From that list I’d say best candidate is Stuart Lancaster
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

tigerchef 06 Jun 2020 13:02 pm said..

The Vic wrote:
spanish exile wrote:What has really surprised me is that no one from Shedweb has been asked to sit on the interview panel. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha ha... but there are just so many rugby gods on this site that have achieved incredible heights at elite level sport... you are right it beggars belief

Thing is though, there are a number of posters on here who have played elite level sport and have Coached at the the highest level. There are also several posters on here who have current and previous experience at very senior positions in some quite big companies.

So I wouldn't knock the idea.
tigerchef
Hall of Famer

Chalker 06 Jun 2020 13:23 pm said..

Bradley says “there are some very experienced world-renowned coaches on the list, some very exciting, young up and coming coaches on the list”

Do we know who these people are? Is Cipriani one of the ‘young’ candidates on the list, genuine question?
Dare we hope Lancaster and Cockers have applied?

Bradley also states “we don’t need to rebuild”, I disagree especially given the financial circumstances. This would be an ideal opportunity to re-structure from board level down. No problem with current employees having to apply for existing or similar positions in the organisation

We will soon know, I guess Teague will be the choice.
Chalker
Hall of Famer

Chris Jones 06 Jun 2020 15:31 pm said..

Just one more factor....availability and cost of buying out ongoing contracts - this would certainly apply to Cockers, Lancaster and Sanderson. The club doesn’t have that sort of money to squander

Back then to Howley, Young and RT. Not my favourites!
Chris Jones
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby