Grobler Article

Re: Grobler Article

tigerchef 18 May 2020 09:15 am said..

Nope, no agenda.
tigerchef
Hall of Famer

Theotherjonny 18 May 2020 09:24 am said..

tigerchef wrote:Nope, no agenda.

Just unneccesary comments maybe? I get humour (all levels, ex-military and all that) and, for a second, did see a potential funny side but............................ :(
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
Posts: 302  Location: Malvern Wells (most evenings and weekends) Cheltenham (office hours) Kingsholm (home fixtures)
Theotherjonny
Vice-Captain

stevieb 18 May 2020 10:24 am said..

Good read!

I hope he comes back and gets a fair crack.
stevieb
Hall of Famer

Jimbodini 18 May 2020 10:40 am said..

For me he’s been our best lock and one of our best performers, when picked. Slater and mostert are both also absolute class. However, I think GG has a bit of X factor about him and I would start him when fit.
Jimbodini
Vice-Captain

JamesK 18 May 2020 10:50 am said..

tigerchef wrote:
Grobler then went on to say:

"I am blessed though to play for a great club, who have supported me and my team mates for the past 2 months, ensuring that I am receiving 75% of my wages. I feel sorry most of all for those in the background, the cleaners and ticket staff. What will happen to the ticket staff's jobs when we are playing behind closed doors and there are no tickets to be sold?" Grobler continued "It will also be strange when we do start playing again, with no crowd watching. I can't believe that 10,000 of them have continued to pay their season ticket money every month and alongside the owners backing the club financially as well, knowing that there is a good chance they won’t be able to watch a game in person for several months".

If you wish to make a donation to the Poor Rugby Player Relief Fund, then please phone 0800 012987 or visit http://www.strugglingtogetbyon£60000.com

With your help we can stop this hardship of living on a 10,000 acre farm, earning 75% of your wages doing nothing. Thank-you.

You seem to be rather confirming his point. It sounds like you're saying that because he's well paid and some of us have continued to pay for rugby season tickets without seeing any rugby, Grobler should feel obliged to return to action without questioning his safety. That wouldn't be far from saying he's a piece of meat which we've paid for.
Last edited by JamesK on 18 May 2020 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
JamesK
Hero in the making

GlawsyD 18 May 2020 10:59 am said..

Tigerchef,
Get your facts right - he's only got 4700 acres - there are bigger estates in the UK and without the leopards.
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

shedwebadmin 18 May 2020 11:23 am said..

Indeed, you need to divorce the idea of remuneration and expectation, perhaps.

Players are contracted employees, who last time I checked also tend to be human beings and should be afforded every right given to them by law. Some players just happen to be able to command high salaries by virtue of the balance of supply and demand in their marketplace.. And good luck to them. But all players should expect to be able to ply their trade in an environment where all reasonable efforts to mitigate risks and ensure safety have been taken. That's not even how you build a wolfpack, it's just doing the right thing.

He also said he's working hard on jobs around the farm and training with what he's got to hand. Not sure what else you're supposed to do, in that situation.

I don't get the 60k reference to be honest, is that a known figure, or is it representative of something?

Nor from any of that, can I find anything that I can have a beef about. He's clearly a man who knows his own mind and has shown humility given the effect this situation is having on some of his less fortunate colleagues.. And I hope to see a lot more of him on the field when safe to do so in the next 12+ months.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
shedwebadmin
Site Admin

tigerchef 18 May 2020 16:27 pm said..

I understand his concern, but he is implying that the RFU will sanction league games, without making sure that it is safe to do so. He really should read up on Section 44 Employment Rights Act 1996 as I very much doubt that the Gloucester Rugby will treat any asset as a ‘piece of meat’ and make them play if they have concerns.

I just read the article as a ‘poor me’ whinge. On my own, with someone taking my pictures, but on my own, worried about breaking my bones playing Rugby or catching a Virus, whilst free rock climbing, 20 miles from help, but on his own, with friends popping over, who managed to make the last but one airlift, clutching his last 3 pairs of shorts. Doesn’t he have a wardrobe in South Africa?

I also know that if I went on social media and publicly complained that I thought my employer would make me work in the office and would sack me if I didn’t, wouldn’t go down too well with my MD.

Yeah, my final bit about 10,000 acres was wrong, as was my £60,000. It should of been a lot higher and I would like to apoligise for those two errors.
tigerchef
Hall of Famer

theoptimist 19 May 2020 08:20 am said..

Wow...

Of course those photos could have been taken years ago...might be why he’s pictured in Munster shorts? Tabloids like to do screen grabs from Facebook, Instagram etc. Once it’s posted it’s public.

Sounds like you need a good cathartic whinge yourself tigerchef! ;) Don’t let it all build up!
theoptimist
Hero in the making

JamesK 19 May 2020 09:04 am said..

tigerchef wrote:I understand his concern, but he is implying that the RFU will sanction league games, without making sure that it is safe to do so. He really should read up on Section 44 Employment Rights Act 1996 as I very much doubt that the Gloucester Rugby will treat any asset as a ‘piece of meat’ and make them play if they have concerns.

The Kingsholm pitch doesn't seem a particularly safe workplace at the best of times, whatever Section 44 Employment Rights Act 1996 says.

I think all of us who are about to return to work have some apprehension. Of course, we've had it easy compared to the people who have had to work through the peak of the crisis.

Very few employers will be able to confidently say that there is no risk of catching the virus in the workplace. Rugby players cannot obey social distancing so the comparison with your office is silly.

All reasonable employers will be happy for employees to voice their concerns. I certainly wouldn't dismiss the concerns of my staff coming back to the office as a "whinge".
JamesK
Hero in the making
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby