Sale into training

Re: Sale into training

steckers 19 May 2020 20:56 pm said..

It's definitely working.

Teachers supporting pupils with work at home as part of their job - yes it's also working. Most schools have been doing this.

I think there is a list of what you can and cannot do. There is certainly nothing to stop a professional sportsman /woman from staying fit with daily exercise.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 19 May 2020 21:00 pm said..

So if said teachers are furloughed would that not count as breaking furlough? The government seem keen for sports to get going again so not sure they will take action against Sale
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Neilio44 19 May 2020 21:04 pm said..

Does this not contracene the Gov's rules on lockdown?
If it's wet, drink it.
Neilio44
Hero in the making

steckers 19 May 2020 21:25 pm said..

Contravene the rules - possibly. The govt have stipulated a date when players can return to training - but i can't recall when it is.

I don't think teachers (generally) have been furloughed - maybe private sector. Also possibly some academies etc. It would be easier for schools to furlough admin staff and non-teaching personnel.

Now if a teacher was shielding I assume they could be furloughed.

If they were unavailable for work because their own children were home - that is possible too.

But if they have been asked to work for the school - even if it's sending work home to pupils then they cannot be furloughed. I am in the position personally.

I've looked through the HMRC guidance on it - and it's not straightforward.
steckers
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 19 May 2020 21:59 pm said..

steckers wrote:Contravene the rules - possibly. The govt have stipulated a date when players can return to training - but i can't recall when it is.

I don't think teachers (generally) have been furloughed - maybe private sector. Also possibly some academies etc. It would be easier for schools to furlough admin staff and non-teaching personnel.

Now if a teacher was shielding I assume they could be furloughed.

If they were unavailable for work because their own children were home - that is possible too.

But if they have been asked to work for the school - even if it's sending work home to pupils then they cannot be furloughed. I am in the position personally.

I've looked through the HMRC guidance on it - and it's not straightforward.

The bit from the Premiership Statement dated 13May: Premiership Rugby Statement:
Premiership Rugby welcomes today's confirmation from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) that elite sports in England can return to training.
DieTrying

steckers 19 May 2020 22:03 pm said..

Ah there you go - so no contravention.

And further to my above post - shielding may not be furloughed - they may have to claim statutory sick pay.
steckers
Hall of Famer

JamesK 20 May 2020 09:53 am said..

It's easiest to think about the furlough rules in terms of the employer rather than the employee.

The Govt is paying the employer a proportion of the employees wages on the basis that the lockdown is preventing the employee from working. The employer then pass that money onto the employee. Problems arise if the employer still makes the employee work despite receiving compensation for them not being able to work. The employee is free to fill their time and could seek alternative employment (although my contract states that I can only perform other paid work with the permission of my employer).

If players choose to train at home they are not working. If they are coming into the club according to a schedule set by the club they are working. I'm sure there are lots of grey areas in-between (e.g. staying home and following a training schedule set by the club) which are possibly dubious legally but nobody is ever going to police and it wouldn't be in anybodies interest to do so.

Before anyone corrects me I realise this is a simplification.
JamesK
Hero in the making

ROLLO 20 May 2020 09:58 am said..

I would expect that all professional players have had a training regime from home, I know that Wuss have.
ROLLO
Hall of Famer

steckers 20 May 2020 10:08 am said..

I would too. I know some people who have been furloughed and have been doing online webinar training etc. Completely their choice and I know it's partly due to boredom. But it's also professional in attitude.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Davers 20 May 2020 12:21 pm said..

It's a question of semantics but training is something that you are allowed to do whilst furloughed.

While you’re on furlough

Once you are on furlough you will not be able to work for your employer. You can undertake training or volunteer subject to public health guidance, as long as you’re not:
•making money for your employer or a company linked or associated to your employer
•providing services to your employer or a company linked or associated to your employer
•furloughed by your employer and volunteering for them in a different role
Davers
Senior squad member
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby