Hall of Famer

Re: PRL unanimously vote for salary cap overhaul

Porky 02 Jun 2020 03:54 am said..

This has to be good news.
Time you enjoy wasting is never wasted.
Porky
Hall of Famer

Clive's Pants 02 Jun 2020 04:55 am said..

Ironically, the fact that it was unanimous, worries me a bit. Might that mean that the likes of Bristol can see loopholes they can work with?
Clive's Pants
Hall of Famer

Paul Simmons 02 Jun 2020 05:41 am said..

Very good news - essential for the health of the professional game. Let’s hope it has teeth this time from the outset.
Formerly Sky blue
Paul Simmons
Hall of Famer

Forrester 02 Jun 2020 05:53 am said..

Clive's Pants wrote:Ironically, the fact that it was unanimous, worries me a bit. Might that mean that the likes of Bristol can see loopholes they can work with?

Or they realised very quickly they were a lone voice of dissent so withdrew their opposition?
Forrester
Hall of Famer

mjad 02 Jun 2020 06:09 am said..

Having read the report, it's good news for the sport in England, yes, it may hinder our chances in Europe, but, it will help the long term sustainability of the professional sport.

Can see a 13 team ring fenced league on the cards next brought in under the cover of Covid, although strongly against this, I can't see any other club being close to being able to compete
Regards
Michael
mjad
Hero in the making

Thaddeus Griffin 02 Jun 2020 06:15 am said..

mjad wrote:Having read the report, it's good news for the sport in England, yes, it may hinder our chances in Europe, but, it will help the long term sustainability of the professional sport.

Can see a 13 team ring fenced league on the cards next brought in under the cover of Covid, although strongly against this, I can't see any other club being close to being able to compete

I’m of the same thinking. In principle, I would love to have a healthy promotion/relegation system. In reality, there are no Championship clubs who are anywhere near being able to compete (on the pitch and financially) in the Premiership, aside from Newks (and Salarycens next season).

Most likely the future is a franchise model. Prem won’t be a closed shop as such, but will expand as and when a sustainable club from the semi-pro game is able to meet set criteria to move up.
Thaddeus Griffin
Vice-Captain

Lurker 02 Jun 2020 06:57 am said..

Wow, didn’t expect unanimous acceptance but glad it has happened. Also surprised they have accepted all 51 of LM’s proposals but again glad they have as this will make the Premiership sustainable and fair in the future.
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Lurker
Hall of Famer

robs1 02 Jun 2020 07:02 am said..

If they ring fence perhaps there needs to be some form of "punishment" for finishing bottom to encourage teams to fight to the end of the season, otherwise it will become a two or three tier competition of the "rich" clubs fighting over the top four then a few in the middle fighting for Euro places and the "poor" teams just making up the numbers, to me that sounds like the Pro 14
robs1
Hall of Famer

TP17 02 Jun 2020 07:36 am said..

Clive's Pants wrote:Ironically, the fact that it was unanimous, worries me a bit. Might that mean that the likes of Bristol can see loopholes they can work with?

The reporter answered a similar question on Twitter saying he understands that “Bristol may have needed a bit of a gentle encouragement, but the rest were in favour”.
TP17
Hall of Famer
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby