PRL unanimously vote for salary cap overhaul

Re: PRL unanimously vote for salary cap overhaul

chumba 02 Jun 2020 07:55 am said..

I don't get the 'hate' for Bristol. SL was at the front of the queue berating Saracens, and is clearly an advocate of the Cap + Marquee players. They've always played by the rules as far as we know. I'd give my right-arm for an owner like him, Bristol are a very impressive set-up these days, fab stadium, settled coach, great training facilities - happy days for them and thier fans after living in the shadow of B**h for all those years.
chumba
Vice-Captain

DieTrying 02 Jun 2020 08:06 am said..

I think his comments a few weeks ago, along the lines of " with the money I've spent, Bristol deserve to be the top club in Europe", hasn't helped. It smacks of ego and self interest rather than the interests of the game. A bit like Wray and his cheating and Craig with his Master plan to boost European earnings by moving the HQ to Switzerland and the promise of more high paying sponsors, which also failed.
John Neary
DieTrying

Lebowski 02 Jun 2020 08:16 am said..

chumba wrote:I don't get the 'hate' for Bristol. SL was at the front of the queue berating Saracens, and is clearly an advocate of the Cap + Marquee players. They've always played by the rules as far as we know. I'd give my right-arm for an owner like him, Bristol are a very impressive set-up these days, fab stadium, settled coach, great training facilities - happy days for them and thier fans after living in the shadow of B**h for all those years.

They may well have always played by the rules but SL has never made any secret of the fact he wants the rules to ensure there is no possibility of parity. Not sure about the hate thing - where have you got that from?
Lebowski
Dude

CMGC 02 Jun 2020 08:26 am said..

I strongly suspect there was disent in the meeting from SL and possibly 1/2 others. However with 10 voting for it they either present a divided 10/3 split which would not look good or say it was " unanimous" so everyone looks good and united.
I will be interested to see if they now reduce the cap. My suspicion is they won't as a sop to SL.
CMGC

spanish exile 02 Jun 2020 10:04 am said..

CMGC wrote:I strongly suspect there was disent in the meeting from SL and possibly 1/2 others. However with 10 voting for it they either present a divided 10/3 split which would not look good or say it was " unanimous" so everyone looks good and united.
I will be interested to see if they now reduce the cap. My suspicion is they won't as a sop to SL.

Hopefully agreement for the to change won't be totally different to getting changes agreed. Next step is agreeing the sums which is where the wealthier Clubs may have differing views to what level of change is needed.
We can but live in hope sanity will prevail.
spanish exile
Hero in the making

tigerchef 02 Jun 2020 10:42 am said..

All your answers about the salary cap etc are in the report. They have unamousley agreed to the 51 points.
tigerchef
Hall of Famer

colinboag 02 Jun 2020 10:50 am said..

You're not quite correct tigerchef.

They 'have united to support the recommendations and agreed to move to the next stage of developing these recommendations into detailed regulation. This stage will involve further consultation with our clubs, the RFU and RPA. These new regulations will then be presented to Premiership Rugby Board for approval.'

What matters are the detailed regulations...the devil is always in the detail! 'Supporting' is easy, hence the unanimity!
Cherchez la truffe
colinboag
Hall of Famer

Lurker 02 Jun 2020 10:58 am said..

And it will take time. there are marquee player on contracts that will either have to run to their end or be terminated with a lump sum payment.
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Lurker
Hall of Famer

Clive's Pants 02 Jun 2020 11:03 am said..

I have to agree with Colin.

Now that this is looking like it could become real I've gone to read the report:
https://media-cdn.incrowdsports.com/4c20e3b1-ed1c-4922-bf7f-e9ab34d2581e.pdf
A good read it appears to be too - I think I like this Lord Myners chappie ...love his concluding paragraphs.

As an example they have agreed to the following re marquee players: "Recommendation 3.8 – Review provisions for exempt (marquee) players.". That's it, they have agreed to review them. Plenty of opportunity for obstruction or fudging yet.
Clive's Pants
Hall of Famer

Steveybadger 02 Jun 2020 12:17 pm said..

Clive's Pants wrote:I have to agree with Colin.

Now that this is looking like it could become real I've gone to read the report:
https://media-cdn.incrowdsports.com/4c20e3b1-ed1c-4922-bf7f-e9ab34d2581e.pdf
A good read it appears to be too - I think I like this Lord Myners chappie ...love his concluding paragraphs.

As an example they have agreed to the following re marquee players: "Recommendation 3.8 – Review provisions for exempt (marquee) players.". That's it, they have agreed to review them. Plenty of opportunity for obstruction or fudging yet.

absolutely - the report on BBC Sport only suggests the clubs will review it, not that they have agreed to abolish marquee signings.

Re Steve Lansdown (and with my Bristol City supporting spectacles on), I see him simply as wanting a level and transparent playing field at home, but still with clubs having a chance of competing in Europe. He is firmly in favour of financial fair play in football and has run Bristol City with a view to the club being sustainable in the long term, even though he could clearly have afforded to throw money at the club and indulge in some of the dubious practices other clubs in football's championship have indulged in. Given this I truly believe that he is not trying to 'cheat' his way to success with the Bears.
Steveybadger
Senior squad member
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby