A list of things you no longer see in rugby

Re: A list of things you no longer see in rugby

westglos 02 Jun 2020 14:48 pm said..

Blackcountryglaws wrote:Re. No 21. Go back even further to toe kickers like Bob Hiller, Don Clarke or Tom Kiernan. No idea how they did it.

And the great Don Rutherford who graced our parish in the 60s.
westglos
Vice-Captain

Westy 02 Jun 2020 14:52 pm said..

We must have been of a similar era, ALT ...

I started off as a toe-ender; used to form a semi-circular wall of mud about an inch from the ground, upon which the ball would be carefully balanced, torpedo-fashion. A little allowance for wind (from the elements, not from me) and give it as much welly as possible. At school, and playing in the Midlands at the time, I modelled myself on a guy called George Cole, who played for Cov, firstly at 9 and latterly at 15. Legend.

Then along came Sam Doble at Mose ... a totally different animal, with a totally different style ... well, I had to try it, and it worked. Balls were becoming lighter, and round the corner, with appropriate allowances for weather conditions, did give more accuracy. Like everyone else on the rugby scene at the time, I was devastated when Sam died in the late 70s.
Back to basics
Westy
Hero in the making

madders 02 Jun 2020 17:42 pm said..

Speedsters running into gaps! Rather than “bishbashbosh “.

Halftime cigarettes. Yes, really.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
madders
Hall of Famer

Captain Jolly 02 Jun 2020 17:59 pm said..

Alfred Lord Tension wrote:I was a toe end kicker in the sixties/early seventies. It was essential to have a strong toecap, I used to reinforce mine on the inside with pieces of leather. You had to make a very accurate connection with the sweet spot on the ball. The ball was placed on a kicked up mound of mud. Sometimes quite flat and pointing at the posts for long kicks. I placed the ball upright for shorter kicks. My longest successful kick was from my own 10 yard line. Sam Doble when playing for St Paul's College would regularly attempt penalty kicks from that range. The round the corner, instep boys were just beginning to come in. Sam Doble, Dusty Hare, Peter Butler and Eric Stephens were some of the best. In local rugby Cyril Waters at Matson was excellent. I tried the new method but could hardly get the ball off the ground. I think the modern ball with its non slip coating and dimples etc. does not fly as well as the old smooth leather ones did. The run up was straight on and placing the non kicking foot in the right spot was crucial. You could generate a bit of extra power with a slightly faster run up and a high follow through.

Plus our mutual friend RJH, of course, ALT.
Westy is watching.
Captain Jolly
On the board

Alfred Lord Tension 02 Jun 2020 18:13 pm said..

Indeed, Shag could bang 'em over. I trust you are well Captain?
Alfred Lord Tension
Vice-Captain

Francophile1 02 Jun 2020 19:00 pm said..

And Cherry and White shirts
Francophile1
Senior squad member

Blackcountryglaws 02 Jun 2020 19:06 pm said..

Dun Rutherford was in the side the first time I saw Glaws play. A defeat at Rodney Parade on a wet Tuesday night in about 1966. I think it ended 6-3 to Newport. Not a score you see too often these days either. I seem to remember it being the second of four games for GRFC that week, something else no longer possible.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be so I've heard.
Blackcountryglaws
First team regular

stevieb 03 Jun 2020 09:10 am said..

Team management continuity?
stevieb
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 03 Jun 2020 10:08 am said..

Loyalty and standing together in a crisis...…...
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2415  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Ciren35 03 Jun 2020 10:14 am said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:Loyalty and standing together in a crisis...…...

Agreed - as a team, we were all on the same page when an individual was selected to have Tiger Balm applied to his under crackers whilst he was showering.

The “fall out” was spectacular and was my favourite calling card :shock:
Ciren35
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby