Interesting Interview with Sam Burgess

Re: Interesting Interview with Sam Burgess

Not1eyed 06 Jun 2020 08:54 am said..

That’s fair Peanutcoxy perhaps average is to strong. He had the potential to be a great 12 in my opinion, not the pace for 13. The 2015 World Cup was too early for him considering the way he’d been moved around at Bath. I do agree with him about the substituting of him for Ford. Terrible decision.
At no point have I scapegoated him for the 2015 failure
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

steckers 06 Jun 2020 09:12 am said..

Bath were on TV a lot that year - no-one would have looked twice at him without all the hype.

Maybe with time it would have worked. But his selection to the RWC squad was a joke. I have no abuse for him - just the England selectors at the time.
steckers
Hall of Famer

madders 06 Jun 2020 09:49 am said..

Steckers, l think you’ll find the England selectors had Burgess foisted upon them too. Some bigwig at HQ had a stunning plan ( Burgess) which would win the RWC and swell HQ’s coffers with £££££ and so everyone had to be in on the plan.
Unfortunately being idiots their scheme back-fired and as a result England failed miserably, yet nobody was brought to task for their stupidity at HQ.

Every couple of years this idea repeats itself, poach a RL superstar , give him to a club to knock him into shape and then with obscene haste get him in the England squad. Repeat.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
madders
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 06 Jun 2020 10:22 am said..

To be fair there were limited options at 12 for England at that time. Burrell should have gone to that RWC and as I understand his late omission caused lots of problems. If burgess had 2 years playing 12 solidly for bath then he could have worked. His comments on Mike Ford are very interesting and look on the surface to be accurate
Last edited by Not1eyed on 06 Jun 2020 15:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

steckers 06 Jun 2020 10:28 am said..

Burrell should have gone and everyone knew it - it shook the players also (many revealing later).

I've no idea if it came from the RFU hierarchy but if so, then SL should have grown a pair and stood up to them. It was his job on the line.

Either way, to select someone who hadn't played before, in a position he hadn't played before, was just plain dumb and underlined the complete lack of preparedness that typified England at the time. It was a really dark time for England on the international stage.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 06 Jun 2020 11:16 am said..

Not disagreeing with that Steckers but very easy to say from the outside.
Truth is SL got the job to early. He’d be ideal candidate now to take over from EJ. He did some good things on the discipline and player accountability front but was to inexperienced a coach at that time for a job of that magnitude.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Lebowski 06 Jun 2020 12:58 pm said..

+1
Lebowski
Dude

steckers 06 Jun 2020 13:02 pm said..

Agreed, it was far too early for him. Personally id like to see him achieve something notable at club level. I appreciate he’s at Leinster now but they were ready made champions before he got there. Thats not a knock by the way.
steckers
Hall of Famer

stuartjames 07 Jun 2020 07:33 am said..

Mike Ford is a 'good human being' according to his friend Geordan Murphy and any criticism by Sam Burgess is 'strange and confusing'
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

Glossince86 07 Jun 2020 07:45 am said..

madders wrote:Steckers, l think you’ll find the England selectors had Burgess foisted upon them too. Some bigwig at HQ had a stunning plan ( Burgess) which would win the RWC and swell HQ’s coffers with £££££ and so everyone had to be in on the plan.
Unfortunately being idiots their scheme back-fired and as a result England failed miserably, yet nobody was brought to task for their stupidity at HQ.

Every couple of years this idea repeats itself, poach a RL superstar , give him to a club to knock him into shape and then with obscene haste get him in the England squad. Repeat.

I think this is spot on and part of the reason SL was appointed was that HQ would have control for plans like these...
Glossince86
On the board
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby