Interesting Interview with Sam Burgess

Re: Interesting Interview with Sam Burgess

Jimbodini 05 Jun 2020 09:42 am said..

What was the story you heard, beddis?
Jimbodini
Hero in the making

Ken Burney 05 Jun 2020 09:43 am said..

Did not Bath play him at blindside flanker whereas England saw him as a centre?
Ken Burney
Hall of Famer

SIBARITE 05 Jun 2020 10:01 am said..

Jimbodini wrote:What was the story you heard, beddis?

+1 If the story exists could we hear it please.
SIBARITE
Vice-Captain

Sheddy Mcshedface 05 Jun 2020 21:21 pm said..

Ken Burney wrote:Did not Bath play him at blindside flanker whereas England saw him as a centre?

Indeed and that sentence pretty much explains where it all went wrong.
Keyser Sose
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Old Duffer 05 Jun 2020 21:59 pm said..

My view at the time was that if it wasn't obvious whether he was an international centre or a flanker it was clear he wasn't either. I don't recall many International players who could switch between the two, but stand to be corrected.
Old Duffer
Senior squad member

steckers 05 Jun 2020 22:21 pm said..

The story was - he was average. Quite simple. Far too much hype.

He really wasn't good enough to get into the bath team - Fearns was much better. So the selection into England at the 11th hour was an absolute disgrace. But that England team were so poorly coached that it didn't really matter.

Eddie Jones took the same group of players on a huge win streak.
steckers
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 05 Jun 2020 22:57 pm said..

steckers wrote:The story was - he was average. Quite simple. Far too much hype.

He really wasn't good enough to get into the bath team - Fearns was much better. So the selection into England at the 11th hour was an absolute disgrace. But that England team were so poorly coached that it didn't really matter.

Eddie Jones took the same group of players on a huge win streak.

He was due to join Brucie's Bath Galactico's in in Oct14, which then ended up being, due to major surgery, Dec14. In Jan15 he played for the Saxons v the Wolfhounds. In Apr15 he made his first Prem start. In Aug15 he was added to the England Elite Squad. He was binned in that game and yet was selected for the RWC15 Squad. In RL he was, according to my RL loving mates, a great player but in RU, he was a fish out of water. I like the way he reckoned he could "do it" but even he should have realised that it wasn't going to happen. I believe that he was let down by his advisors, Bath & England.
John Neary
DieTrying

Lurker 05 Jun 2020 23:43 pm said..

Interesting interview with him about his RL career as well as the games Mike Ford was playing to kybosh the England team so that he could become manager (according to SB). Came across as an OK guy for most of the interview.
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Lurker
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 06 Jun 2020 07:09 am said..

He was very average at Union and picking him over Luther Burrell caused major disruption in the squad I’m lead to believe.
However, in his defence, he was outstanding against Wales and the biggest mistake of that game was taking him off. I believe that England would have won had he stayed on the field
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Graham Cartmell 06 Jun 2020 07:55 am said..

I have little doubt that he was more than good enough to play the union code given a bit of time and good coaching. The confusion surrounding his best position at Bath was the main issue. Whether Ford used him poorly and then had undue influence within the England setup to cause ructions is quite believable.

Steckers, N1E he was definitely not average and was too easy a target when things went wrong. The Wales game demonstrated that perfectly. A combination of lack of time, his best position (13 in my view), politics and underhand gripes probably did for him.

The amount of abuse he received from the media was way over the top and he barely said a word to defend himself (neither did his own coaches). His right to reply is more than overdue in my book.
The older I get the faster I was. Used to be known as Peanutcoxy
Graham Cartmell
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby