When is a 'Red' card ...

When is a 'Red' card ...

GlawsyD 04 Jun 2020 15:44 pm said..

Red-carded players can be replaced 20 minutes after their dismissal in New Zealand's new Super Rugby tournament. The country's five Super Rugby teams will play a domestic mini-series from 13 June after getting approval to restart the sport behind closed doors.

"Paying rugby fans, players and coaches want to see a fair contest," said New Zealand Rugby's head of professional rugby Chris Lendrum. "Replacing a player after 20 minutes strikes the right balance."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52908956
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

Re: When is a 'Red' card ...

MarcusRann 04 Jun 2020 15:50 pm said..

With the amount of technical red cards we've seen in recent seasons this may be a good idea. It might also encourage refs to sanction players appropriately, ie not give a yellow when a red is justifiable.
MarcusRann
Vice-Captain

plod 04 Jun 2020 16:31 pm said..

I'm stuck on the fence on this one. I can see that there have been red cards that were very borderline - the Cipriani Munster one comes quickly to mind, and the fans do want to see a fair contest. However, for serious foul play the offending team deserves to lose their player for the entirety of the game.
plod
Hall of Famer

Ferret 04 Jun 2020 16:54 pm said..

That’s it then.
Sort out their key play in first minute and you can play for 3/4 match.
Ferret
On the board

Westy 04 Jun 2020 16:54 pm said..

An invitation to condoned thuggery ...
Back to basics
Westy
Hero in the making

Gloucester Mute 04 Jun 2020 17:10 pm said..

Stupid idea potentially open to some very underhand abuse. At least it's only a trial...…..
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2415  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

JamesK 04 Jun 2020 17:26 pm said..

Thuggery would still be punished by an appropriate ban for the individual.
JamesK
On the board

Gloucester Mute 04 Jun 2020 17:45 pm said..

JamesK wrote:Thuggery would still be punished by an appropriate ban for the individual.

But his team/club don't suffer for his specific act of thuggery bar 20 minutes playing with 14-men. The increasing preponderance of yellow cards, suggested orange cards and these odd red cards will mean that you've got playing numbers yo-yo'ing all over the place.

Keep it simple rather than always pushing for "change"...…...
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2415  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Clive's Pants 04 Jun 2020 17:51 pm said..

I'm not keen either but, just to be clear, the red carded player can't return to the game so it is player down for 20 minutes and then a forced replacement. Plus, the appropriate suspension for offence post match.

I'm not sure even the most cynical team would see that as an opportunity to work the system.
Clive's Pants
Hall of Famer

madders 04 Jun 2020 18:11 pm said..

Perhaps the addition of a penalty try no matter where the offence occurred as well as a red card, if the player is replaced after 20 minutes.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
madders
Hall of Famer
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby