August 15th

Re: August 15th

plod 06 Jun 2020 07:20 am said..

I can’t help wondering if I really want to watch a game played in an empty stadium. It will seem very soulless. I've had a look at a couple of Bundesliga games, but didn’t watch for long. I'm not sure if it's because there is no atmosphere or because I'm not that interested in German football. I suppose I will have to wait and see.
Once the games have restored , if they impose a regional lockdown, would that mean stopping the teams in that region from playing? That would be very disruptive.
plod
Hall of Famer

madders 06 Jun 2020 08:31 am said..

Besides, it gives Sale an unfair advantage :lol:
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
madders
Hall of Famer

lucifer 07 Jun 2020 09:40 am said..

Read a bit more on this lately and while the Guardian yesterday said it would be neutral venues and closed doors, its reported today Leicester saying they could easily incorporate 10-11,000 with appropriate safety measures in place. Interestingly the season is now not going to end till December/January and the 20/21 season not start till next year. I wonder how that will affect Saracens. The Championship called an end to its season a month or so back so they have no reason to not start their season in September as normal, in fact financially they will be crippled if they don't - so for relegated Saracens will they be expected to complete this Premiership season, play their European matches and play in the Championship all at the same time? You'd think not but what's the alternative?
lucifer
Hall of Famer

Lurker 07 Jun 2020 10:46 am said..

Could they not forego their 2019/2020 Premiership matches (reduces the number to be played then) but still play their European games (if these are actually going to take place). Then, they can commence in the Championship whenever that starts.
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Lurker
Hall of Famer

covglaws 07 Jun 2020 14:53 pm said..

Lurker wrote:Could they not forego their 2019/2020 Premiership matches (reduces the number to be played then) but still play their European games (if these are actually going to take place). Then, they can commence in the Championship whenever that starts.

Problem with that is, how do you award points for the non played games. Some will have played them once, some twice.

I think the answer is that the Championship will have to start without them and they will then have to catch up with games on the blank weekends and perhaps a midweek game or two. Not exactly a perfect solution, but it would work.
Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson.
Posts: 1745  Location: Sent to Coventry - Well someone's got to live here!
covglaws
Hall of Famer

Lurker 07 Jun 2020 15:15 pm said..

Every team has played 13 games - Northampton and Leicester have played Sarries twice. Both lost the second game, so expect they will be happy to have those games expunged from the records.
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Lurker
Hall of Famer

mjad 08 Jun 2020 06:24 am said..

Theotherjonny wrote:
Number10 wrote:
MattChelt wrote:Just mentioned on 10am news on the radio. Good news, hopefully.

Given that all 92 remaining Premier League games are going to be shown live on TV / Amazon Prime (with around a third of them free-to-air on various platforms), what chances every remaining Premiership game (incl. the playoff semi's and the final) also get the same coverage?

The football coverage (before the season was suspended) was split between Sky, BT and Amazon (with highlights on BBC), whereas the Prem is exclusively BT for live coverage - to be hoped that they play ball and either show all games with a chunk of them free-to-air, or release some games to other broadcasters. Now we have a re-start date, the TV discussions can be ramped up.....

Then there's what will happen come the start of 2020/2021 season...?

I suppose channel 4 might be an option. They have shown a few european games

Can't remeber if it was 4 or 5 but there have (IIRC) definately been some premiership games on terrestrial TV this season ;)

Channel 5, they can show 5 league matches a season as well as the highlights show
Regards
Michael
mjad
Hero in the making
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby