New Players Union ?

New Players Union ?

RTS2 06 Jun 2020 11:42 am said..

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/rpe-furt ... yers-union

Interesting article.

quote from rugby pass..

Genge’s RPE also want to take clubs to task on their accounts, saying their union would want ‘independent reviews’ of club financials. “Players should not be joining loss-making entities that do not have viable plans, sinking funds, appropriate facilities to meet salary obligations.”
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Re: New Players Union ?

Gloucester Mute 06 Jun 2020 11:54 am said..

"Interesting" ?? IMHO totally unnecessary and a little frightening. An idea born out of player boredom/idle-gossip during lockdown, not liking having their salaries cut and strikingly similar to the all-powerful route professional football has gone down with mega-salaries and God-like status.

No doubt that there are some things that the existing RPA can learn from this BUT to have a completely new organisation ?? No need and bl00dy expensive annual fee.

Plus, harshly, who explained to EG what "epoch" meant ?!?!

Get EG out of the virtual "Apprentice" Boardroom/Union offices and back onto weights and the scrummaging machine.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2415  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

RTS2 06 Jun 2020 12:04 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:"Interesting" ?? IMHO totally unnecessary and a little frightening. An idea born out of player boredom/idle-gossip during lockdown, not liking having their salaries cut and strikingly similar to the all-powerful route professional football has gone down with mega-salaries and God-like status.

No doubt that there are some things that the existing RPA can learn from this BUT to have a completely new organisation ?? No need and bl00dy expensive annual fee.

Plus, harshly, who explained to EG what "epoch" meant ?!?!

Get EG out of the virtual "Apprentice" Boardroom/Union offices and back onto weights and the scrummaging machine.

.....and you are the "God" of what others should find interesting mute ?. ;)

If the players make that choice about the cost ; well that is surely theirs to make ?. I think that the idea suggests more than just "salaries"; and it might nudge some within the existing structure to think about the way forward .If nothing else that is not perhaps a bad thing ?.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

robs1 06 Jun 2020 12:19 pm said..

The way forward to a sustainable future for rugby is for the costs to be contained to what is affordable, we all know what the biggest cost is, perhaps the players need to look in the mirror to see what the problem is
robs1
Hall of Famer

kingsholmmick 06 Jun 2020 12:27 pm said..

Rts you should know by now that mute is the oracle on all things rugby ... well all things really ;)
Rarely have I seen someone on a forum where we all have a common interest and hope to discuss related matters be so bl00dy “know it all” !
kingsholmmick
On the board

Gloucester Mute 06 Jun 2020 13:25 pm said..

kingsholmmick wrote:Rts you should know by now that mute is the oracle on all things rugby ... well all things really ;)
Rarely have I seen someone on a forum where we all have a common interest and hope to discuss related matters be so bl00dy “know it all” !

IF you (or RTS2) look at the principles, aims and achievements of the RPA on their web-site you may see that they are already doing nearly all of what Ellis Genge's rival RPE aspires to. Just stating a fact - not being a "know-all".

Mick - Put me on your "block-list" or "fast-forward" if you don't want to read what I say/think. The control is yours - not forcing you to read anything of mine at all.
Last edited by Gloucester Mute on 06 Jun 2020 13:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

tigerchef 06 Jun 2020 13:29 pm said..

Strange. I do believe that image rights are now classed as player earnings under tax law and as such would be classed as earnings under the salary cap 2.0.

Im looking forward to the first player strike and having to ask Gordon League if they could lend us a player for a couple of games.
tigerchef
Hall of Famer

MrGlawsRocker 06 Jun 2020 14:30 pm said..

I've read what he has to say and why he feels the RPE needs to exist next to RPA and cannot see why it is a terrible idea.
That "young woke liberal type" that Gloucester Mute really dislikes.

In Skivington we Trust, the future is Cherry & white
MrGlawsRocker
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 06 Jun 2020 14:41 pm said..

'Cos it's actually an alternative to the RPA not a brand new idea. The RPA and mooted RPE essentially duplicate each other so there would be zero reason having both in existence.

Look what "good" Unions tend to do as well !! And you'd want 2 of them !! ;)

Brutally I think EG was bored of playing video-games/building Lego + didn't like having to give up 25% of his (rather large) salary so started getting "bolshy" - as in Bolshevik - and thought "Why not start up a Players Union ??" forgetting that they already had one.

That's my "know-it-all" take on things anyway !! ;)
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Beddis 06 Jun 2020 15:15 pm said..

Agree fully with Mute on this. Doesn’t sound like any real advantage over the RPA and Genge needs to concentrate on his training.

He would do well to sit down with the RPA and understand what they are aiming to achieve. He might be suited to a role as Tigers representative to the RPA if he wants to become more active??

The RPE looks very weak on substance and I would fear that the divided representative bodies would dilute the players overall position
Posts: 4269  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby