New Players Union ?

Re: New Players Union ?

kingsholmmick 06 Jun 2020 16:04 pm said..

Mute I did have you on ignore but I missed you too much ;)
kingsholmmick
On the board

colinboag 06 Jun 2020 16:19 pm said..

Can anyone explain what's wrong with GM's post? It made me smile, and I agree with him!
Cherchez la truffe
colinboag
Hall of Famer

madders 06 Jun 2020 17:12 pm said..

It’s all very well players trying to protect their positions, salaries etc, but a touch of realism is needed. These cuts haven’t come about because bosses are being greedy but because of circumstances that have seen the world’s economy nose dive, and club incomes too.

It might be wise to have a slightly less well paid job than no job at all....and Mr Genge must be among the list of better paid players.

Before anyone starts, l was a union member for 30 years until recently but cut my ties as most unions seem to have a strange agenda; workers rights, wellbeing and job security not being part of that agenda.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
madders
Hall of Famer

Chalker 06 Jun 2020 17:27 pm said..

I, too, agree that Mute’s post is amusing but should warn him that if the boy from Knowle reads the post, and ever visits Dursley, it may be prudent to go into hiding ;) Would love to see him playing at CG.
Shedweb is good value during the lockdown, particularly some of the faux outrage.
Chalker
Hall of Famer

colinboag 06 Jun 2020 17:37 pm said..

Salaries for players (and coaches) have simply crept up too much - Covid-19 will bring about a much-needed readjustment. If players are unhappy then they can head off to France or Japan, and we'll replace them with not-quite-so-good journeymen. In the long run that will be better for the English game. When Glaws play Bath, do we care whether the expensive marquee players are on show in both teams, or is the historic rivalry the thing?
Cherchez la truffe
colinboag
Hall of Famer

MrGlawsRocker 06 Jun 2020 17:41 pm said..

The second I seen the word union, I knew I had to click in to see people going all Daily Mail on Ellis Genge.

If players feel there is a need for a separate body, that is not connected to the clubs and organisations work for, in order to represent their views, unterests, ideas and to represent them in negotiations its only a good thing.

Players have one shot at being pro-athletes and should feel represented by a wholly independent body by rugby players for rugby players.
That "young woke liberal type" that Gloucester Mute really dislikes.

In Skivington we Trust, the future is Cherry & white
MrGlawsRocker
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 06 Jun 2020 18:05 pm said..

I agree glawsrocker. Can only be a good thing
I think 1 marquee player is fine. I think removing them completely we will lose the likes of Charles Piatua from English rugby and that is not good for fans or young players. I’m using piatua as a ref but imagine how much young players at Bristol have learnt from his presence, as have others at other clubs
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 06 Jun 2020 18:21 pm said..

MrGlawsRocker wrote:The second I seen the word union, I knew I had to click in to see people going all Daily Mail on Ellis Genge.

If players feel there is a need for a separate body, that is not connected to the clubs and organisations work for, in order to represent their views, unterests, ideas and to represent them in negotiations its only a good thing.

Players have one shot at being pro-athletes and should feel represented by a wholly independent body by rugby players for rugby players.

2 things old fruit - Read the RPA web-site and see what they actually do for players + who works for them (all ex-Pro players)
- Change your sign-off "In Ackermann We Trust" !! He's gorn East for the lucre……...
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2415  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 06 Jun 2020 18:22 pm said..

Chalker wrote:I, too, agree that Mute’s post is amusing but should warn him that if the boy from Knowle reads the post, and ever visits Dursley, it may be prudent to go into hiding ;) Would love to see him playing at CG.
Shedweb is good value during the lockdown, particularly some of the faux outrage.

I will hope that social-distancing and self-isolation for oldies is still in place when EG visits + hide in Stinchcombe Woods !!
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2415  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

NHR982 06 Jun 2020 18:33 pm said..

Not for the first time, I find myself in agreement with Mute. EG is a self serving, selfish and greedy (I know - tautology) player with ideas above his station. It makes me quite angry when players forget how fortunate they are to be able to make a living from their sport. How many others in employment can consider themselves as fortunate.
NHR982
Turns out for the A team
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby