Thorley
May
Rees Zammit
Seabrook
Banahan

Fullbacks
Woodward
Hudson
Last edited by Face on 13 Jul 2020 09:06 am, edited 10 times in total.
Face
Senior squad member

Re: Current Squad

Face 16 Jun 2020 09:20 am said..

Couple of thoughts:

Five Hookers is excessive
Back 5 of the scrum seems short and especially if Mostert does leave. Are we looking at someone like a Josh Gray stepping up
Lots of back 3 options
We can still field a bloody good 23 that would be a match for anyone in the league
Face
Senior squad member

Re: Current Senior Squad

Gloucester Mute 16 Jun 2020 10:18 am said..

I thought Owen Williams to Japan was confirmed ??

+ should be a match !! Certainly wasn't for the season up to mid-March - maybe the team were always planning for a late burst up the table post-Covid. ;)
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2411  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Creamoftheprop 16 Jun 2020 10:22 am said..

Agree back 5 looks light. Only need one or two back-row absentees esp with Clarke covering both.
Creamoftheprop
Senior squad member

Face 16 Jun 2020 10:55 am said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:I thought Owen Williams to Japan was confirmed ??

+ should be a match !! Certainly wasn't for the season up to mid-March - maybe the team were always planning for a late burst up the table post-Covid. ;)

Couldn't find any formal confirmation Mute? Strongly rumoured back in early April but not seen any confirmation hence still in my squad list
Face
Senior squad member

VV 16 Jun 2020 11:11 am said..

Yes some good quality throughout that squad although I still feel we are a game changing centre light. And while it might be argued it looks a tad unbalanced e.g. overstocked with hookers and wingers and short, as others have noted, in the second and backrow, it is difficult to make too many judgements without knowing whether there will further departures or, indeed, arrivals.
But the reality is that quality on paper counts for nothing and the team, who ever is selected, needs to up their performance when the season re starts and get back that winning habit.
Neil Vincent
We all watch the same match but each of us sees a different game
VV
Vice-Captain

stevieb 16 Jun 2020 11:17 am said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:

It worked for Wasps a number of times...
stevieb
Hall of Famer

Big Red 16 Jun 2020 11:21 am said..

While 5 hookers may seem excessive, with Singleton only now arriving and without Hanson most of this season it put a lot of pressure on Marais. My personal opinion is the other two aren’t up to it, much like our options at LH when we lose Hohneck or VRR from a match day 23.

Agree re a centre. We need something a bit different. A combination of pace, power and physicality to break tackles.
Big Red
Hall of Famer

RTS2 16 Jun 2020 12:47 pm said..

Big Red wrote:While 5 hookers may seem excessive, with Singleton only now arriving and without Hanson most of this season it put a lot of pressure on Marais. My personal opinion is the other two aren’t up to it, much like our options at LH when we lose Hohneck or VRR from a match day 23.

Agree re a centre. We need something a bit different. A combination of pace, power and physicality to break tackles.

+ 1

Have said it on here several times the right man for Gloucester is Merab Sharikadze . I do have it (on very reliable sources) that he would like to play for the club . Right into his peak, very low injury record , the right mindset and brutally consistent in defence and attack . Also ex- Hartpury; and knows the area well. It's been said before about the level he's playing at in France. I think the money he's been on there would compare to many Premiership clubs; and of course its a lifestyle thing .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYyos_4kato always draws in the opposition and makes ground

runs excellent lines at 12 and ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh9UF5tqRl8 tackles anything that moves in defence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cda8f-u ... UA&index=2

I do wonder how much direction will be given to the new DOR with signings and if they will follow the Ackers route and sign players they know ?.
Last edited by RTS2 on 16 Jun 2020 13:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

stuartjames 16 Jun 2020 13:01 pm said..

Could he bring a big nasty Georgian Tight head with him when he signs :)
stuartjames
Hall of Famer
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby