Departing players

Departing players

rabbo85 26 Jun 2020 07:06 am said..

Hot off the press...

“Gloucester Rugby can confirm that three players will be leaving the Club to move to Japan. Tom Marshall, Franco Mostert and Franco Marais have chosen to further their careers elsewhere. It goes without saying that we are extremely grateful for their hard work and contribution during their time whilst representing our Club.”

Goes on to mention that Braley, Hinkley, Dreyer, Williams & Linsell are also leaving, most of which we already knew.
rabbo85
Turns out for the A team

Re: Departing players

Simmo468 26 Jun 2020 07:19 am said..

All as rumoured seriously worried about our second row now.
Simmo468
Hall of Famer

Tumpy+1 26 Jun 2020 07:20 am said..

Good luck to these guys and I hope they have a great playing experience wherever the play. Been a pleasure watching them at Kingsholm and other places.
After reading this forum recently, the founding and only member of the Official 'Happy Clappy' club
on ShedWeb!
Tumpy+1
On the board

lovejoy 26 Jun 2020 07:23 am said..

Top players leaving, not many new faces in (May excepted), we are 9th. Worried about next season.
lovejoy
On the board

Forrester 26 Jun 2020 07:31 am said..

It’s a pity as Mostert and Marshall are two of my favourite players but that’s a lot of salary cap freed up, assuming of course the club have it to spend.
Forrester
Hall of Famer

Forrester 26 Jun 2020 07:31 am said..

Tumpy+1 wrote:Good luck to these guys and I hope they have a great playing experience wherever the play. Been a pleasure watching them at Kingsholm and other places.

+1
Forrester
Hall of Famer

TP17 26 Jun 2020 07:32 am said..

Massively disappointed. Such a shame. Although all clubs are seeing numerous players leave, I haven’t yet seen a club lose as many high calibre players.
TP17
Hall of Famer

VV 26 Jun 2020 07:34 am said..

All the departures will have some impact. Mostert is genuinely world class so you can't say just say we will cope without him; Marshall is a clever player of the like we haven't currently got in the squad; Williams leaves a hole at 10 or centre; and Dreyer, while we barely saw him on the pitch, was always touted to be rivalling Balmain for first choice and so in the absence of a new tight head his exit has to be a worry. Marais was abrasive, and I liked his go forward attitude, but with Hanson fit again, and Singleton arriving, the impact of his loss will arguably be felt less. Will some of the further updates today provide good news of quality replacements....I'm not confident...but...?
Neil Vincent
We all watch the same match but each of us sees a different game
VV
Vice-Captain

TP17 26 Jun 2020 07:37 am said..

Good point VV, I hadn’t even noticed that at the bottom of the email. Sounds like some new signings are to be announced throughout the day.
TP17
Hall of Famer

Forrester 26 Jun 2020 07:42 am said..

VV wrote:All the departures will have some impact. Mostert is genuinely world class so you can't say just say we will cope without him; Marshall is a clever player of the like we haven't currently got in the squad; Williams leaves a hole at 10 or centre; and Dreyer, while we barely saw him on the pitch, was always touted to be rivalling Balmain for first choice and so in the absence of a new tight head his exit has to be a worry. Marais was abrasive, and I liked his go forward attitude, but with Hanson fit again, and Singleton arriving, the impact of his loss will arguably be felt less. Will some of the further updates today provide good news of quality replacements....I'm not confident...but...?

Agree with all of that, it just comes down to whether we can bring in a few quality replacements. Having Hanson back is a huge plus, Marais was good but our lineout has been pretty poor. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Trinder can stay fit, he’s the one guy we’ve got who take that role from Marshall albeit from a slightly different position. Props and second row need to be the priority.
Forrester
Hall of Famer
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby