Departing players

Re: Departing players

Baz 27 Jun 2020 11:42 am said..

It’s funny how some on here are so wise after the event and have now changed their tune? We made so many poor decisions at the start and never got going. We beat Sale because of a really poor penalty attempt and yet everything was apparently a ‘master plan’ and it would be alright in the end. Fairly obvious there were problems from day one.
Now, we can hardly help the virus, nobody could predict the problems it would cause to the sports world. We now have no choice, we have to go with the fact that to stay in business we will lose important players. For me Marshall was the most talented, committed player in the club, sad to see him go but did we have any choice? More excited to see who is coming in. All clubs are suffering, the hit is huge but we have to survive, the rest is just a sad result of something out of our control. Time to be positive.
Baz
Hall of Famer

Noobs 27 Jun 2020 12:09 pm said..

Baz wrote:It’s funny how some on here are so wise after the event and have now changed their tune? We made so many poor decisions at the start and never got going. We beat Sale because of a really poor penalty attempt and yet everything was apparently a ‘master plan’ and it would be alright in the end. Fairly obvious there were problems from day one.
Now, we can hardly help the virus, nobody could predict the problems it would cause to the sports world. We now have no choice, we have to go with the fact that to stay in business we will lose important players. For me Marshall was the most talented, committed player in the club, sad to see him go but did we have any choice? More excited to see who is coming in. All clubs are suffering, the hit is huge but we have to survive, the rest is just a sad result of something out of our control. Time to be positive.

No its easy to be wise with hindsight. We finished 3rd last year, had the player of the year and a lock who went on to win the World Cup in our squad.No major changes so expectations were understandably high and it was pretty reasonable to expect another push for top 4. How was obvious there were problems from the start?
IMO we have been lucky that Saracens were relegated and that Leicester were terrible. Could easily have been a dust-up between us and Worcester for relegation. Fingers crossed a bit of a rest and recharge have done us some good and we can restart strongly.
Noobs
Vice-Captain

lucifer 27 Jun 2020 12:12 pm said..

Noobs, you're right, expectations were high before the start but Baz was talking about after the start which included the warm up matches and lack of game time for many of the senior players.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 27 Jun 2020 12:15 pm said..

Not1eyed wrote:For those saying it’s excellent business by the club you are making a huge assumption that it was the clubs choice to release these players and I’m not sure that is the case.
All clubs have players in and out at end of season so of course there is movement but usually that is planned for well in advance. Clearly Gloucester had not planned for this so it’s a little different one my opinion.
Hopefully it will all work out in the long run. The reduced wage bill, in this climate, can only be a good thing but the quality of player leaving will also have an impact.

+1

GRFC did not want or plan for those departing (incl. JA/DH). They have happened for other reasons (that haven't gone away) - and sort of fortuitously they have worked out finance-wise/timing-wise (this season). There is now some short time to allow what we have (aka we are left with) to bed-down under a new HC (and new DoR). There may (or may not) be a new DC and some incoming journeymen players left "on-the-shelf from elsewhere" to fill some key gaps in the 37-man squad. There are youngsters in the Academy who might make it stepping-up.

Too many "may/might/could's" for me BUT we are where we are and can only hope and pray. Unfortunately no-one in situ currently "to trust". :roll: :roll: Ring-fencing can't come soon enough to cement GRFC's place at top-table.....
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2381  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Paul Simmons 27 Jun 2020 12:15 pm said..

JA had a dreadful season and showed zero signs of knowing how to turn it around. A one trick pony?
Formerly Sky blue
Paul Simmons
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 27 Jun 2020 12:24 pm said..

On-field JA, like us, could only watch the players do their stuff. Yes he selected them and the game-plan BUT are you excusing the players from any blame for their performances and management of situations ??

Very easy to always blame JA/DH - what about the so-called "geniuses" like DC ?? The on-field Captain and leaders ??

May be heresy to say it BUT IMVHO (sorry ALT) Cipriani is culpable and responsible for much that went wrong on-field lthis season BUT, very cutely, behind-the-scenes in tandem with LB has manufactured some major changes that totally absolve him from any fault at all.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2381  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Tump 27 Jun 2020 12:27 pm said..

Yep time to stop whining and start supporting .
Tump
Vice-Captain

madders 27 Jun 2020 12:32 pm said..

Everyone at the club has to take some share of their failings. I honestly think we have a good squad, but they seem to lack motivation, or something.
They are quite able of being sublime one minute and dreadful the next, and that is the crux of why we’re 3rd one season and 9th the next.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
madders
Hall of Famer

Clive's Pants 27 Jun 2020 12:39 pm said..

I paraphrase but I can not remember us playing one wet game last season nor one dry one this. Any statos know the real numbers? Anyway, my point is, JA showed to me that he did not have a wet northern hemisphere game plan...and I think Mostert was part of that weakness.
Clive's Pants
Hall of Famer

CMGC 27 Jun 2020 12:44 pm said..

I can tell you that from just outside Gloucester we only had 2 spells of 3 days without rain from Sept 21st till rugby ended. A year ago . The previous season had a fraction of the rain with significant dry spells between frontal incursions.
CMGC
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby