News is on the way

Re: News is on the way

Simmo468 28 Jun 2020 08:39 am said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:Sounds like GRFC and GS have both been rather ignorant and naïve of the protocols - quelle surprise !! BUT that LI are making a bit of a meal of it because they can. This hasn't all come out of the blue to LI as it's been leaked/spoken about for over a week now. They are acting all hurt and aggrieved because GRFC messed-up.

Ineptitude coupled with shizzle-stirring. A lawyer's dream-world.

Suggest GRFC apologise to LI, LI accept
their man has gone - and both move on. AB gets sent on a new course to study the PRL paperwork. LB sticks to CEO off-field matters. GS considers getting a DC and what the fate of TW is.

I don’t see any basis for that at this point. If we are guilty of indictment then absolutely we should apologise and take our medicine.

Im pretty sure this will turn out to be part of a play based on our recent issues with Sale to encourage favourable settlement of compensation for LI. I can’t believe in this instance that

a) we are stupid enough to publicly announce this Without the right checks
b) LI are completely in the dark about the situation

Skivington has agreed to a previous salary cut if he has not agreed to it becoming permanent then his previous contract would be null and void. Maybe this is a desperate attempt to stop him walking away without them getting their piece of the pie.

I think we should give the club the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise despite all his rumoured faults LB is a significantly experienced businessman and unlikely to cock this sort of thing up. MSQ has also been through several changes in coaching staff and doubt he wouldn't have asked the right questions either.
Simmo468
Hall of Famer

Stephen Bond aka LSH 28 Jun 2020 08:45 am said..

Reading the regulations to the letter of what is written, it is quite possible that Gloucester have not done anything wrong.
It says that a club cannot directly or indirectly induce a person to leave. Gloucester have advertised a role. If GS has applied for that role off his own back and without GRFC inducing him, have we actually broken any regulations?
Unless of course that lawyers feel that advertising the job is deemed to be inducing!?
Stephen Bond aka LSH
On the board

Stephen Bond aka LSH 28 Jun 2020 08:48 am said..

lucifer wrote:But did we 'entice or induce' him to leave? It seemed to me there was a job ad, several people applied and GS got it. The only difference from there with those of us who work in the every day world seems to me to be the working of notice. In interview you normally ask when are you available, the answer can vary from now to 6 months or so. I assumed GS said almost immediately, hence his start date of 3rd July, which seems to suggest he didn't think he had to work any notice. Maybe he was wrong but assuming the above to be a rough account of what went on the error, if any, would seem to lie with GS rather than GRFC.

Lucifer, apologies hadn’t seen this when I posted exactly the same on the next page, great minds think alike!
Stephen Bond aka LSH
On the board

Lebowski 28 Jun 2020 08:52 am said..

Okay well I’m prepared to give the club the benefit of the doubt until more is known.

What is pretty clear however is that somebody, be it us or Irish, has acted rather unprofessionally and that doesn’t reflect well on the PRL. Again!
Lebowski
Dude

Paul Simmons 28 Jun 2020 08:54 am said..

I think some people are being naive if they think that this path was chosen out of ignorance.

Glos will have been completely clear about the regulations and the state of GS’ contract. If the benefit of appointing the HC they wanted was greater than any penalties for doing so then they made a hard-nose financial/sporting decision. LI are trying to maximise their payout - as Glos will have expected them to do.

As I started earlier we did the same in Saint SV’s day with Mostert etc.
Formerly Sky blue
Paul Simmons
Hall of Famer

Simmo468 28 Jun 2020 08:54 am said..

London Shed Head wrote:Reading the regulations to the letter of what is written, it is quite possible that Gloucester have not done anything wrong.
It says that a club cannot directly or indirectly induce a person to leave. Gloucester have advertised a role. If GS has applied for that role off his own back and without GRFC inducing him, have we actually broken any regulations?
Unless of course that lawyers feel that advertising the job is deemed to be inducing!?

Yes I would agree with that, if he has made the approach not the club then that wouldn’t be an inducement would LI have to prove we tapped him up.
I just don’t buy LI had no awareness and that between MSQ, LB, our lawyers and Skivingtons agent the position wasn’t perceived to be sound before a public announcement.
Simmo468
Hall of Famer

Paul Stevens 28 Jun 2020 09:02 am said..

Wasn’t DH due to leave at the end of June?
Would he have been on ‘gardening leave’ or would he have been involved in the process?

If he was, perhaps we can’t entirely point finger at LB/AB for any dialogue.

Just asking.....
Paul Stevens
Hall of Famer

madders 28 Jun 2020 09:28 am said..

In “the real world” of employment, the only issue LI could have would be his notice period. Then again , during this COVID pandemic, and the 25% reduction in salary it may be deemed that as his existing contract has been broken then GS is free to leave immediately.
RFU protocols wouldn’t be valid in this case.
Maybe LI need to ask themselves if he still has a contract of employment.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
madders
Hall of Famer

Simmo468 28 Jun 2020 09:55 am said..

LI fans seem to agree with the sentiment that it is to rev up the compensation they are far from hammering us on their forums
Simmo468
Hall of Famer

madders 28 Jun 2020 09:59 am said..

As we know from the frequency that players and coaches have left us while under contract, there isn’t much that can be done.
My thoughts are if someone wants to leave, it’s pointless trying to prevent them if they’re not committed to the job.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
madders
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby