GS & LB on BBC Radio Glaws

Re: GS & LB on BBC Radio Glaws

ShedOrDead 29 Jun 2020 09:23 am said..

westglos wrote:
Lebowski wrote:I too would like a quality TH but I’d settle for someone like Bateman (if we couldn’t have both!)

He can play both sides, as can Hohneck and I believe JFR. We have two young props in the senior squad and I’ll be brutally honest here; I think Knight is ready to take the next step but I don’t have much confidence in Seville. We’ve also signed Stanley who is a TH. So bottom line is I don’t see our need as specifically TH.

Last season, I believe Exeter had three international tightheads in their squad....

Yes... but that does rather depend on how you define "international" (currently playing versus capped). Personally though, I am not sure I would want all my SID in a specific - and critical - position liable to international call-ups.

More broadly, Exeter are a step ahead of Glaws in terms of front row strength and have been for a while. This is not something that will be fixed by signings - proven international THPs are very expensive and with the forthcoming reduction in salary cap, probably beyond what Glaws can afford. Building from within is not just the right answer, it is the only answer. Who knows... Knight could blossom into the next Phil Vickery over the next few seasons. Unlikely? Perhaps. But guaranteed if he isn't given game time.
ShedOrDead
Hall of Famer

Sheddy Mcshedface 29 Jun 2020 09:34 am said..

Assuming it is Francis, Moon and Williams being referred to there is also the salient point that those players were either signed from lower leagues and developed by the club or brought through their own system. Maybe that's the lesson we need to take from them rather than "sign an international tight head" as if it is that simple!
Keyser Sose
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

stuartjames 29 Jun 2020 09:55 am said..

They've just released Greg Holmes. Oz TH with 27 caps., so he would have been one of them, no, or does that make 4 ?
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

Lebowski 29 Jun 2020 10:06 am said..

Moon is a LH.
Lebowski
Dude

Sheddy Mcshedface 29 Jun 2020 10:07 am said..

Possibly, one of my greatest annoyances is that when you go to any club website and look at the team list they never list whether a player is a loose or tight head. They always just say Prop.
Keyser Sose
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Nuts 29 Jun 2020 10:17 am said..

Page 2 and the local media update / "welcome to Hartpury, George" discussion has moved on to front row.

Clearly, he just needs to read Shedweb to get a complete picture of what is required & what he needs to do to succeed in his new role. :lol:
Nuts
Vice-Captain

ROLLO 29 Jun 2020 10:57 am said..

I know that Glos sniffed around Nick Schonert, but without success I am pleased to say. I agree about developing your own , that is how Nick and VR-R came along. Wuss now have another very promsing loosehead in Kai Owen - remember the name.
ROLLO
Hall of Famer

foresterinyorks 29 Jun 2020 11:23 am said..

I found that quite encouraging. However, I missed the beginning. Was any mention made of the LI contractual situation? I guess that could have been too sensitive?
Never Stay Down.
foresterinyorks
Hall of Famer

Graham Cartmell 29 Jun 2020 11:29 am said..

foresterinyorks wrote:I found that quite encouraging. However, I missed the beginning. Was any mention made of the LI contractual situation? I guess that could have been too sensitive?

They just referred to the Glos statement as a pre-prepared line and said no more
The older I get the faster I was. Used to be known as Peanutcoxy
Graham Cartmell
Hall of Famer

foresterinyorks 29 Jun 2020 11:30 am said..

Thanks
Never Stay Down.
foresterinyorks
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby