A dose of perspective

A dose of perspective

TP17 29 Jun 2020 16:50 pm said..

A depressing interview with Mark Wilson and Newcastle's owner in the Daily Mail (sorry about the adverts) highlighting their current situation - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... ssion=true

As worrying as things may seem at our club, in reflection we seem to be in a better position than most, especially Newcastle. We have lost 8 players, some of which world-class. However, we have just announced a promising and exciting new coach, have brought back one of the best wingers in the world and will fundamentally still have a rugby club and a competitive team to support and watch when the season resumes and beyond. I sincerely hope that Newcastle are able to stay alive during this crisis, however, I must admit that the prospect of them not having another game this year is bleak for them.
TP17
Hall of Famer

Re: A dose of perspective

madders 29 Jun 2020 17:45 pm said..

Oh no! No reprieve for Sarries.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
madders
Hall of Famer

Phil W 29 Jun 2020 18:18 pm said..

Living up here, there isn't much positivity around the Falcons. There's no idea when a game might be played. It's a massive shame as the city hosted the European Finals last year really well but the Falcons relegation put a dampener on things.

Best case for a competitive game looks to be December if Europe starts then, it's a mess and the Falcons are paying a price for promotion but they're going to struggle next season as things stand.
Phil W
Vice-Captain

Chalker 01 Jul 2020 11:50 am said..

Wigan Athletic Football Club has just gone into administration, one of many sporting clubs about to go the same way I suggest.
Chalker
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 01 Jul 2020 11:56 am said..

Chalker wrote:Wigan Athletic Football Club has just gone into administration, one of many sporting clubs about to go the same way I suggest.

Whilst full of sympathy for Wigan don't forget that "going into administration" can be utilised as a very tax-efficient way of stabilising and/or buying-time. It sounds very dramatic but can actually be a clever way of dealing with a crisis - especially if the statutory points deduction from the FA doesn't result in relegation.

I would guess that there will be a large number of businesses (including sports clubs) looking at every avenue to best survive Covid-19.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2381  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

tigerchef 01 Jul 2020 13:43 pm said..

4 weeks after being taken over? Good to see the proper person test is standing up to scrutiny.
tigerchef
Hall of Famer

robs1 01 Jul 2020 13:47 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:
Chalker wrote:Wigan Athletic Football Club has just gone into administration, one of many sporting clubs about to go the same way I suggest.

Whilst full of sympathy for Wigan don't forget that "going into administration" can be utilised as a very tax-efficient way of stabilising and/or buying-time. It sounds very dramatic but can actually be a clever way of dealing with a crisis - especially if the statutory points deduction from the FA doesn't result in relegation.

I would guess that there will be a large number of businesses (including sports clubs) looking at every avenue to best survive Covid-19.

Yes a very effective way of not paying what you owe to others, often dragging them down and destroying their future and the employees too. It's often used as a get rich quick scheme make money and screw everyone else
robs1
Hall of Famer

Still Realistic 01 Jul 2020 13:56 pm said..

The interesting thing will be if this has a snowball effect. It may be that several clubs in the same league enter administration as they can't all be relegated and they think it is worth a calculated gamble.
All joking aside I agree that at Championship level football there is a reasonable possibility that clubs may take this as an opportunist way out but a further rung or 2 down the ladder could well seem teams genuinely go to the wall. In rugby our levels of income are a long way down from football and there will be casualties all through the structure I fear.
Ken Smith (once upon a time Mr Realistic)
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer

West Oxon Glaws 01 Jul 2020 14:01 pm said..

The other side of this is that Sarries might be playing in two leagues at the same time - the last update I saw showed that the Championship was likely to start in September which will clash with Premiership games. Lucky they have a big squad
West Oxon Glaws
Vice-Captain

Return to Gloucester Rugby