Tigers contract rebels....sign or be released on 30 June

Re: Tigers contract rebels....sign or be released on 30 June

DieTrying 30 Jun 2020 22:44 pm said..

Beddis wrote:@foychris

Oops, I'm blocked from looking at his account. :D
John Neary
DieTrying

Gloucester Mute 01 Jul 2020 00:17 am said..

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:A genuine question for GM. On the assumption that Twiggylager was offered a reasonable wedge, As an incumbent international who played well at the RWC, and also part of a Tigers dynasty....would that make Manu a mercenary if he popped up now in France or Japan...? I’ve got my views....just asking for a friend ;)

KPB - Yes it would BUT please remember that I did explain that the term "mercenary" which I originally used mainly with regard to Saffa rugby players/coaches moving around was ill-chosen. I then went onto say that professional rugby players as with most sportspeople only have a limited time to earn maximum wedge and their real loyalty is to their bank balance and their family's future well-being.

Manu Tuilagi moving would be in-line with his older brothers whom nearly all started at Leicester before following the Pound/Euro/Yen. What is slightly unfortunate from both parties' perspective is following Tuilagi's behaviour mistakes and long injury periods Tigers stood by him and his family + MT then showed his loyalty to Tigers by not moving on massive wedge to Paris and deciding to remain on a lower contract at Tigers and play for England.

What many outsiders forget is that the relatively recent departure of longstanding Tigers CEO, Simon Cohen, his internal replacement Andrea Pinchen and other changes to the Board at Welford Road have altered much of the deep club/player loyalty that previously existed at this Gloucester-like club. Professionalism and money decides everything nowadays.

Long answer but "yes Manu Tuilagi is a mercenary" IMHO along with all other professional rugby players who line their pockets upgrading from club to club BUT I actually quietly admire MT sticking to his guns. Hopefully he'll find a club somewhere to see out his playing days...…….and if overseas make-up the lost loolah from England and possibly Lions wages. And a lot of that Tuilagi loolah continues to go back to the wider family in Samoa.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2381  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 01 Jul 2020 09:40 am said..

Think I'm in total concurrence GM.... difficult times.....sadly the issues are forcing both clubs and players to inevitably fight for what is right....
FWIW, I hold the likes of the French and Wray culpable for forcing salary inflation across the board to unsustainable heights.

...(i'm going to have to Google loolah ;) )
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
King Prawn Bhuna

King Prawn Bhuna 01 Jul 2020 09:43 am said..

Loolah.....https://www.irishpost.com/entertainment/15-weird-wonderful-words-91031...just inserted that into your context...made me smile...
King Prawn Bhuna

DieTrying 01 Jul 2020 11:10 am said..

John Neary
DieTrying

Sheddy Mcshedface 01 Jul 2020 12:11 pm said..

That's a lot of words to not say anything! The only thing we want to know is who is staying and who is going?
Keyser Sose
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Lewi7 01 Jul 2020 12:24 pm said..

https://www.insidermedia.com/news/midla ... job-losses

Players leaving & staff redundancies
Posts: 3910  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

colinboag 01 Jul 2020 13:03 pm said..

You could replace 'Leicester' with any other Premiership club...it's a pretty desperate time.
Cherchez la truffe
colinboag
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 01 Jul 2020 13:35 pm said..

+1 Personally, unless you are part of the clique that have bottomless pockets, there is no place for naysayers or doommongers across the entire league we are all in this together....I do feel sorry for Falcons that are left in limbo because of the fiasco that the megalomaniac Wray has left behind .

The cheats are left playing in the Premiership so the Championship can't start and Falcons can't play and have no revenue...TV or otherwise. Some of the Saracens penalty money should go that direction in my opinion.
King Prawn Bhuna

Paul Simmons 01 Jul 2020 13:42 pm said..

colinboag wrote:You could replace 'Leicester' with any other Premiership club...it's a pretty desperate time.

Exactly. Which is why people here should not have been so critical of Glos as they (fairly efficiently) went about renegotiating contracts and losing a few high earners.
Formerly Sky blue
Paul Simmons
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby