Ring Fencing on its Way............

Re: Ring Fencing on its Way............

Thaddeus Griffin 29 Jul 2020 18:42 pm said..

I really like this plan. Fundamentally I believe in promotion and relegation, but it clearly isn’t working at the moment. This is the best opportunity to allow Championship clubs to become sustainable, and be viable candidates for a move to the Premiership.
Thaddeus Griffin
Vice-Captain

Steveybadger 29 Jul 2020 19:26 pm said..

Come on The Trailfinders for next season :D
Steveybadger
Senior squad member

SwindonGlos 29 Jul 2020 19:46 pm said..

I may have misunderstood but does this proposal mean whoever is relegated from the prem next year is staying in the championship for years?
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster and treat those two impostors just the same.
SwindonGlos
Vice-Captain

spanish exile 29 Jul 2020 20:08 pm said..

Thaddeus Griffin wrote:I really like this plan. Fundamentally I believe in promotion and relegation, but it clearly isn’t working at the moment. This is the best opportunity to allow Championship clubs to become sustainable, and be viable candidates for a move to the Premiership.

This does seem sensible but I question the interest in origin matches, matches against Tier 2&3, tours etc not sure where the interest or financial reward would be but it may put some players in the shop window which could be good for them.

I sincerely hope Sarries come a good second best next year then I would agree to ring fencing in a flash!!
spanish exile
Hero in the making

colinboag 29 Jul 2020 20:51 pm said..

SwindonGlos, no
Cherchez la truffe
colinboag
Hall of Famer

Sheddy Mcshedface 29 Jul 2020 21:03 pm said..

Absolutely no way clubs such as Worcester, Newcastle, Irish and the other perennial relegation candidates agree to ring fencing if there's a chance they get stuck outside.

Even the likes of Leicester have been flirting with getting involved in relegation battles in the last couple of seasons so they aren't going to risk it.
Keyser Sose
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Lurker 29 Jul 2020 21:27 pm said..

Expect it is all current premiership clubs plus Newks. Assume Sarries will win and come back up. No idea what would happen if they didn’t, especially as they have one of the premiership seats.
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Lurker
Hall of Famer

Tetbury Calling 29 Jul 2020 22:25 pm said..

A joint “Promotion and Relegation Commission”, chaired by an independent QC, would decide on promotion from the 2025-26 season onwards,

Anything like that, which doesn't rely on clear-cut results, is a recipe for endless legal challenges.

M'learned Friends will just love that!
Tetbury Calling
Senior squad member

Severus 30 Jul 2020 05:37 am said..

Was the ruling about clubs promoted to the Premiership having to have abided to the salary cap for two years clarified for Sarries?
Severus
Hall of Famer
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby