Ring Fencing on its Way............

Re: Ring Fencing on its Way............

colinboag 31 Jul 2020 18:03 pm said..

They are not being denied the chance! If they, or any other team, can show that they're genuinely good enough to come up, and meet the Premiership criteria, then the mechanism will exist to allow that to happen. What needs to stop is the daft yo-yo'ing that has resulted in some clubs effectively being put out of business! That said, the Pirates have talked a good story for a while now - it's time they, or some of the others, actually delivered. My hunch is that Covid will have prevented that happening for a number of years. Time to ditch the sentimentality and get real - it looks as though the Championship clubs have started to realise that.
Cherchez la truffe
colinboag
Hall of Famer

Asgard 31 Jul 2020 18:43 pm said..

Posts like that, Colin , are not appropriate on Shedweb; too much common sense and too heavy on reality for my liking.
Just stick to fantasy and whether the new shirt makes you look fat :?
Asgard
Hall of Famer

lucifer 31 Jul 2020 19:15 pm said..

colinboag wrote:Time to ditch the sentimentality and get real - it looks as though the Championship clubs have started to realise that.

Have they actually voted for it, Colin? I thought it was a proposal dreamed up by the ex-Saracen bigwig and up for discussion.
If they have and with a thumping majority, so be it. Until that time let the Premiership cut it's cloth appropriately instead of throwing sound business principles out of the window if it's bleating about making losses.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

colinboag 31 Jul 2020 20:42 pm said..

No they haven't voted for it, because they are just proposals at this stage, although they have asked that things be taken to the next stage. A lot depends on the RFU's support - my hunch is that it will be forthcoming.

'ex-Saracens bigwig'? You need to read up on Ed Griffiths, the architect of South Africa's RWC win...he is a seriously competent administrator...oh that there were more like him.
Cherchez la truffe
colinboag
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 31 Jul 2020 22:16 pm said..

colinboag wrote:No they haven't voted for it, because they are just proposals at this stage, although they have asked that things be taken to the next stage. A lot depends on the RFU's support - my hunch is that it will be forthcoming.

'ex-Saracens bigwig'? You need to read up on Ed Griffiths, the architect of South Africa's RWC win...he is a seriously competent administrator...oh that there were more like him.

Not quite the Architect and it was the controversial 1995 RWC. Then to Sarries, where he spearheaded their purely "legal" rise to the top, then left suddenly.. Next up complaints to the ECB whilst working at Middx. Then a new 1 year stint at Sarries to help them through salarygate, which lasted all of 26 days. I'm not sure I'd want: "he is a seriously competent administrator...oh that there were more like him"
John Neary
DieTrying

Kernow Glos 31 Jul 2020 22:34 pm said..

colinboag wrote:They are not being denied the chance! If they, or any other team, can show that they're genuinely good enough to come up, and meet the Premiership criteria, then the mechanism will exist to allow that to happen. What needs to stop is the daft yo-yo'ing that has resulted in some clubs effectively being put out of business! That said, the Pirates have talked a good story for a while now - it's time they, or some of the others, actually delivered.

The Pirates have been waiting for the planning system to deliver a stadium. Finally it looks like the stadium will be built. The Pirates have a financial backer, the support of a rugby community and the player pool to be a premiership force. Relegation is brutal but it creates a competitive league. Sport is based on competition, it’s what drives success. I like a lot of Ed Griffiths ideas for the championship but promotion and relegation need to remain.
Kernow Glos
On a trial

colinboag 01 Aug 2020 06:50 am said..

DieTrying, thanks for telling me what I already knew ;) It would hardly have been the 2019 win, would it!

EG was the chief exec of the SARU - makes him a bit of a player, doesn't it?

You might want to read this...you'll learn a fair bit about the man

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/ru ... -saracens/
Cherchez la truffe
colinboag
Hall of Famer

Taipei_101 02 Aug 2020 14:06 pm said..

Is it just a coincidence that plans for a rugby TV channel have been mooted today in the Mail on Sunday as the league looks to move away from BT as they aren't offering enough money to renew.

According to another article in the Telegraph a couple of weeks ago, Premiership Rugby played hardball with BT, expecting Sky to come in with an offer, but it turned out they weren't really interested in league rugby. This has left the league with a lower-than-hoped offer from BT or taking the risk of setting up their own platform.

I don't like the idea of the staggered kick-off times. Hardly family friendly. It seems they are going to follow the Super Rugby route. Look where that has ended up.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-8584103/Premiership-chiefs-eye-dedicated-TV-channel-2021-broadcast-deal-renewal.html

Paywall - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/07/18/bt-kicks-negotiations-broadcast-top-flight-rugby/
Taipei_101
On a trial

Lurker 02 Aug 2020 15:22 pm said..

Interesting that season ticket holders may be given special log in to watch their teams play on BT sport. Wonder if that is only home games or also away games? Obviously not the same a being in the ground but better than nothing (especially if like me you don’t have BT sports anymore)
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Lurker
Hall of Famer

Taipei_101 03 Aug 2020 12:58 pm said..

It's not really costing them anything, though, to give access to the games. Coverage is there anyway due to the video ref and highlights.

Those of us who are exiled abroad have been lucky (unlucky?) enough to have the choice of every game live on rugby pass for a few years now.

I think it's a good way to keep the fans on board at minimal outlay for the clubs.
Taipei_101
On a trial
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby