Russia RWC 2027

Re: Russia RWC 2027

GlawsyD 01 Aug 2020 10:23 am said..

In truth I guess there are more than a few on this forum who won't be worrying where the 2027 RWC and beyond will be held.
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

Lurker 01 Aug 2020 12:53 pm said..

Well that cheered me up GlawsyD!! :D
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Lurker
Hall of Famer

GlawsyD 01 Aug 2020 14:50 pm said..

Lurker,

Look at it as freeing up the demand for tickets! ;)
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

Lurker 01 Aug 2020 15:57 pm said..

there might be a few bungalows for sale too ;) :o :o :lol:
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Lurker
Hall of Famer

RTS2 01 Aug 2020 17:02 pm said..

I see nothing wrong with the Russian bid myself. Politics is involved in many bids for sporting competitions ; and NOT just in Russia. As for corruption ...well it's like calling the kettle black when it comes to many countries; even within Europe !. I have always thought that the sport could become popular in those parts . I think it would widen the interest in the sport. They didn't do a bad job of organsing the football World Cup in fairness. Lets not brand all Russians as corrupt .

The generalisation of some nations is stupid. Having travelled to Russia a few times I can only talk from my own experience of the people. I would not have travelled more than once if I saw issues. I have always found them polite, surprisingly friendly and helpful.

As for the beer....well there will always be some people who complain about it; wherever ....
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Donald 02 Aug 2020 10:32 am said..

I was in Russia last year, Irkutsk on the Trans Siberia route, and saw a Fullers pub. I thought it must be a spoof but asked my nephew who, at the time, worked for Fullers and he told me Russia was their biggest or second biggest export market, so the beer might be OK. I'd endorse your comments about visiting and, as to corruption, countries in glass houses and all that.
Donald
Academy prospect

shedwebadmin 02 Aug 2020 11:08 am said..

Not doubting you, just enjoying the notion of a guy called Donald sticking up for Russia.. :D

Just a shame the nut-job at the top of the tree has been able to get such a hold over the country..
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
shedwebadmin
Site Admin

Severus 02 Aug 2020 11:27 am said..

RTS2 wrote: The generalisation of some nations is stupid. Having travelled to Russia a few times I can only talk from my own experience of the people. I would not have travelled more than once if I saw issues. I have always found them polite, surprisingly friendly and helpful.

I think that goes for most places, the people you meet are great, the people in power, not so much. I suppose it comes down to whether world rugby thinks it will be beneficial to be associated with Russia in the wider context.
Severus
Hall of Famer

RTS2 02 Aug 2020 11:41 am said..

It's an interesting point Severus.

We cannot totally escape politics ( and therefore entirely disassociate it from sport ) and there have been many major sporting events that have questionable associations . We did not boycott the football World Cup. I see no reason to be inconsistent.

By all means discuss the politics ( for those who might be interested ) in the other forum ?; but from a simplistic perspective of the points raised so far on this thread, I would add that expanding the popularity of Rugby into Russia ( and other countries) for that matter cannot be a bad thing .

Seeing the World cup played in a "neutral" country ( rugby-wise ) might also be a positive benefit.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Donald 02 Aug 2020 11:50 am said..

shedwebadmin wrote:Not doubting you, just enjoying the notion of a guy called Donald sticking up for Russia.. :D

Just a shame the nut-job at the top of the tree has been able to get such a hold over the country..

Hadn't thought that one through but I am a realDonald, just not that one! I'm not sticking up for Russia per se, just endorsing the view that the people generally, like most in my experience, were pretty friendly, even the guys that pick pocketed us on the St Petersburg subway, and the country has a lot to offer the visitor.
Donald
Academy prospect
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby