Goodbye JP..........

Goodbye JP..........

RossM 20 Aug 2020 09:04 am said..

From today's Times

The latest round of financial cuts at the RFU has hit the referees’ department with JP Doyle being made redundant.

Doyle, 41, has been refereeing in the Premiership since 2006. He has officiated at international matches including at the 2015 World Cup.

His departure is a reflection of the extreme situation faced at Twickenham, where the beleaguered union is facing losses of up to £107 million and where sweeping job cuts are expected to put 139 employees out of work.

Doyle was one of the RFU’s elite group of ten full-time referees. The referees were all informed of a pending round of redundancy and that all of their jobs were at risk. The Irishman was informed last week that he was to be made redundant, though he then had the right to appeal.

Thanks to MarleyWasp for posting the extract on OnceaWasp.com.
RossM
Hero in the making
‘Politicians and diapers must be changed often and for the same reason.’ Mark Twain.

Re: Goodbye JP..........

TP17 20 Aug 2020 09:14 am said..

Ah JP Doyle, I do feel sorry for him as I wouldn’t wish anyone to be made redundant, especially at the moment. However, I must admit that I will not miss his refereeing, I can’t think of many other Premiership referees that have peed me off more (yes more than Wigglesworth). But, thank you JP for calling Ashton offside on the halfway line and awarding Hooky the infamous penalty against Saracens.
TP17
Hall of Famer

Legendoft'Autostrada 20 Aug 2020 09:19 am said..

TP17 wrote:Ah JP Doyle, I do feel sorry for him as I wouldn’t wish anyone to be made redundant, especially at the moment. However, I must admit that I will not miss his refereeing, I can’t think of many other Premiership referees that have peed me off more (yes more than Wigglesworth). But, thank you JP for calling Ashton offside on the halfway line and awarding Hooky the infamous penalty against Saracens.

It was the TMO who called Ashton offside!
Legendoft'Autostrada
Leg-end

TheOtherJonny 20 Aug 2020 09:25 am said..

Strange, always liked JP and the bad press he got on here baffled me. A good referee who read and managed a game with equity. I though Glaws got as much as they gave with him and the premiership, IMHO, will miss him :(
TheOtherJonny
Vice-Captain
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
Posts: 357  Location: Malvern Wells (most evenings and weekends) Cheltenham (office hours) Kingsholm (home fixtures)

Beddis 20 Aug 2020 09:45 am said..

He was the best of all of them for a few seasons, didn’t hit those heights so much lately, I hope they can keep him in the game somewhere as he always comes across so well.

Perhaps BT sport could sign him up for some punditry as the referee input is always great
Beddis
Posts: 4378  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney

colinboag 20 Aug 2020 10:23 am said..

World Rugby is looking for a head of refereeing
colinboag
Hall of Famer
Cherchez la truffe

The Vic 20 Aug 2020 10:29 am said..

Interesting decision. I would imagine he would have been upset at not going to the world cup, now this... fair to say he's had a tough year. All the best to him
The Vic
Hall of Famer

madders 20 Aug 2020 10:55 am said..

Shocking news. I hope JP lands on his feet, good ref.
madders
Hall of Famer
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!

Ferret 20 Aug 2020 12:01 pm said..

I am a little surprised too. He was always positive and perhaps more aloof from players on the pitch than we currently see from some at the present.
Ferret
Hall of Famer

Glawsfan 20 Aug 2020 16:43 pm said..

I was never JP's biggest fan but I am sorry that his refereeing career has finished with redundancy. Having been made redundant many years ago I know that it can be a desperate time. Given his knowledge of the game and its laws I hope that he's able to stay in the game in some capacity. Wish him and anyone else who has been made redundant all the best.
Glawsfan
Academy prospect
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby