Goodbye JP..........

Re: Goodbye JP..........

Gloucester Mute 20 Aug 2020 16:49 pm said..

Mainly really enjoyed JP's refereeing though he could sometimes be a bit pedantic in putting across his message.

I guess with 25% redundancies at Twickenham that everyone had to bear some of the pain outside the entire local delivery staff whom were made redundant - though some will be applying for new roles in a much-slimmed down community structure.

Hopefully JP will still referee rugby at slightly lower levels even if he's not being paid to do so.
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2624  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County

MrGlawsRocker 20 Aug 2020 17:20 pm said..

Never really got on with his refereeing and tbh Gloucester tended to not get rub of the green when he was Refereeing our matches.

That being said, he didn't deserve to lose his job this way. I'm guessing the USA will be his next stop.
MrGlawsRocker
Hall of Famer
In Skivington we Trust, the future is Cherry & white

Tump 20 Aug 2020 17:26 pm said..

I never really thought about this in any detail. How does a referee actually get paid and by whom? ie international v premiership.
Will those escaping the cull then do more for the same pay?
Tump
Vice-Captain

lucifer 20 Aug 2020 18:07 pm said..

I always thought we'd get a fair crack of the whip if JP was reffing. I well remember a London Irish away match with him in charge and speaking to Graham Spring pre match who said he was dreading the game because of JP. In the end we won comfortably and I've always thought he was even handed (even if I didn't always agree with his decisions) thereafter. Lets hope he gets back soon.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 20 Aug 2020 19:04 pm said..

Tump wrote:I never really thought about this in any detail. How does a referee actually get paid and by whom? ie international v premiership.
Will those escaping the cull then do more for the same pay?

Tump - I think there are a handful (8/10) RFU-employed refs/ARs who do the Premiership (and International games). There are then the semi-pros who at Levels 2/3/4 get a small fee plus expenses. The rest (the majority) at lower levels are total and utter amateurs and just get their expenses paid. ie; a pretty thankless task considering the abuse players/spectators give !!

All football referees get a fee however low the level they ref. Therefore rugby refs do it for the love of the game and/or giving something back.

It's why I get so annoyed at the daft referee critics - though I guess they are only thinking about the professional ones.
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2624  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County

Tump 21 Aug 2020 16:43 pm said..

Thanks GM. Was just trying to figure out how this can really be much of a saving for the RFU. If number of games remain similar in the future then either the lesser paid refs will do more or they will have to hire again post COVID. Seems a fairly pointless action.
Tump
Vice-Captain

Westy 21 Aug 2020 17:15 pm said..

Sad news - JPD is a good ref, communicates well with the players, sets out his stall, and is generally consistent ...

What more could players (or anyone else) wish for?

I always enjoyed the games he reffed - whether or not Glaws were playing ...
Westy
Hero in the making
Back to basics

glawfindel 23 Aug 2020 17:02 pm said..

MrGlawsRocker wrote:Never really got on with his refereeing and tbh Gloucester tended to not get rub of the green when he was Refereeing our matches.

That being said, he didn't deserve to lose his job this way. I'm guessing the USA will be his next stop.

JP is way too good a ref to be adjudicating in MLR...but the referees here could certainly do with his expertise in bringing them up to a decent level, when we eventually get back to live rugby over here
glawfindel
Hall of Famer

MrGlawsRocker 23 Aug 2020 22:03 pm said..

glawfindel wrote:
MrGlawsRocker wrote:Never really got on with his refereeing and tbh Gloucester tended to not get rub of the green when he was Refereeing our matches.

JP is way too good a ref to be adjudicating in MLR...but the referees here could certainly do with his expertise in bringing them up to a decent level, when we eventually get back to live rugby over here

They've recently announced signing Jonathan Kaplan & Chris Pollock for development of referees, between them they've refereed at six Rugby World Cups and 96 international matches, including five Lions Tours. They do seem to be ramping up the professionalism of the MLR.
MrGlawsRocker
Hall of Famer
In Skivington we Trust, the future is Cherry & white

glawfindel 23 Aug 2020 22:15 pm said..

Good - MLR needs it. Some of the officials seem woefully sub-par (and I can say that without rose tinted spectacles, they are just not great yet)
glawfindel
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby