Sarries v Wasps

Re: Sarries v Wasps

ShedOrDead 09 Sep 2020 10:47 am said..

Lewi7 wrote:It's taken a while but he's been caught finally.

But what a way to be caught though. 3 weeks ago Charlie Atkinson got his A-levels; it's not hyperbole to suggest that Farrell could have ended his career in its first senior outing.
ShedOrDead
Hall of Famer

Ferret 09 Sep 2020 11:29 am said..

Surely justice has been done now, and under the Regulations.
The contact has been accepted as reckless but not intentional.
The Chair you may think right as identifying the breach as being high end starting at 10 weeks.
Whatever we think the individual is entitled to a term reduction. People on this site have identified the criteria.
If it could be proved the players action was deliberate then you may think that the finding should being higher.
Ferret
Hall of Famer

Phill 09 Sep 2020 12:02 pm said..

I would suggest any tackle, whether dangerous or not, is DELIBERATE.
If it wasn't then no tackle would be made.

Farrell knows his technique has flaws, as do the rest of the world.

So it was a deliberate bad tackle.
Too low for me
Phill
Vice-Captain

robs1 09 Sep 2020 12:07 pm said..

Regardless of what anyone thinks his ban is five weeks, what matters now is if he changes his technique, if he doesnt then next time his ban needs to be far longer, the sheer fact that he is England captain means he should be judged by a higher standard than a "normal" player IE he should lead by example
robs1
Hall of Famer

The Vic 09 Sep 2020 12:08 pm said..

Its on the low side for me. However, its now time to move on. Hopefully, the young lad won't have concussion problems for the rest of his life
The Vic
Hall of Famer

vitesse 09 Sep 2020 15:04 pm said..

Phill wrote:I would suggest any tackle, whether dangerous or not, is DELIBERATE.
If it wasn't then no tackle would be made.

Farrell knows his technique has flaws, as do the rest of the world.

So it was a deliberate bad tackle.
Too low for me

Very good point, by its very meaning it is a deliberate act. He intentionally made contact with the other player. The height of the tackle was in error, and as a player with extensive playing years at the top of the game and as captain, MUST have known better. IMHO far too lenient.....
vitesse
Vice-Captain
Posts: 396  Location: Alicante Province, within easy reach of the airport......!

plod 10 Sep 2020 06:40 am said..

It may not only be in England. Joe Tekori and Richie Arnold were both sent off for Toulouse against Clermont. They have both been cleared for the game against Ulster. I have to confess not having seen the incidents so the decisions may be reasonable. Tekori is said to have led with an elbow.
plod
Hall of Famer

GlawsyD 14 Sep 2020 15:36 pm said..

For those wishing to read the formal judgement on Farrel.

https://www.englandrugby.com/dxdam/b1/b ... ep20(final).pdf

...and the thinking behind the reduction:

"The panel concluded that such is the weight of other mitigating factors, including acknowledgement of culpability, obvious and genuine remorse and considerable (and exceptional) evidence as to the player’s good character that the two-week ban from four-and-a-half years ago should not prevent the player from receiving the maximum reduction by way of mitigation available.”
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby