Sarries v Wasps

Re: Sarries v Wasps

Not1eyed 09 Sep 2020 06:13 am said..

5 weeks is about right for me. I know some wanted him hung, drawn and quartered but this seems to be about right.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Ben Carter 09 Sep 2020 06:18 am said..

Rather like the recent Marler ban that wasn't, what's the point when the player in question wouldn't play anyway. Most likely Farrell would play in 2, maybe 3 of those 5 games so feels a bit light on that front. On an aside, I heard that Pat Lam wanted to be interviewed on BT yesterday regarding the red cards in the Bristol/ Worcester game. Anyone know what he said?
Ben Carter
Vice-Captain

colinboag 09 Sep 2020 06:32 am said..

Had a rant about a player’s right to defend himself...by throwing punches!
colinboag
Hall of Famer
Cherchez la truffe

ShedOrDead 09 Sep 2020 06:35 am said..

If you trust the sanctions that are in place then 5wks is as light a ban as he could get. He pleaded guilty to high level dangerous play which has an entry level ban of 10wks.

I would love to know the factors that mitigated that down to 5. Pleading guilty would be one. Previous record would arguably be another which... is odd to me. Yes, this is the first time he has been up before the beak, but his tackling technique has resulted in a fair few near misses as well as the Dan Robson incident linked earlier in this thread - that would have been a red and ban as well under current laws.

5wks feels light... I hope he uses it to adjust his tackle technique.
ShedOrDead
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 09 Sep 2020 06:48 am said..

Trouble with going back a saying under today’s laws that would be red is you could do that for lots of things. I agree he will need to look at his tackle technique but like it or not in 10+years at the very top of the game it’s his 1st red card so that has to count for something.
Didn’t really see the Worcester incident but as I understand piatua got punched couple times whilst pinned down then responded with 1 punch. Doesn’t seem right they both get same ban
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Number10 09 Sep 2020 06:52 am said..

It is a first offence?? I know he makes lots of dangerous looking hits but I believe this is the first time he has been sent off for a dangerous tackle..[/quote]

That’s a joke right? I just don’t see a smiley face.[/quote]

It is his first red card for a dangerous tackle. His technique may well be bad (I personally think he has made a few very dangerous tackles). However in the eyes of the disciplinary panel they cant punish him for tackles that havent been deemed dangerous by previous referees etc.
Number10
Hall of Famer

madders 09 Sep 2020 07:08 am said..

A joke sentence, but he’ll be match fit and ready for England’s game against Italy on October 31st. That’s a bit of luck, eh?
Particularly as the ban could have gone from 10 weeks to a year. Something stinks.
madders
Hall of Famer
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!

Allen Prior 09 Sep 2020 07:12 am said..

Number10 wrote:It is a first offence?? I know he makes lots of dangerous looking hits but I believe this is the first time he has been sent off for a dangerous tackle..

That’s a joke right? I just don’t see a smiley face.[/quote]

It is his first red card for a dangerous tackle. His technique may well be bad (I personally think he has made a few very dangerous tackles). However in the eyes of the disciplinary panel they cant punish him for tackles that havent been deemed dangerous by previous referees etc.[/quote]

Quite right. Some on here (and social media) are allowing their personal dislike of OF to cloud their judgement. The judiciary panel have focused purely on the facts of the offence, previous record, the guilty plea and his expression of remorse. The supporting statements by McCall and Jones will have had little effect, except to make OF feel better.
Allen Prior
Hall of Famer
The artist formerly known as Porky

MarcusRann 09 Sep 2020 07:33 am said..

Allen I'm in agreement with you. Had this been one if ours or a player we generally admire we would think this a fair punishment. If I were Eddie Jones I'd be concerned over whether a player who will have had over a month out of the game by the time of the Italy game would be match fit.
MarcusRann
Hero in the making

Steve M 09 Sep 2020 07:34 am said..

I was expecting 3 weeks so am surprised that it's as much as 5. No complaints here and I dont see a conspiracy to make him available for England.
Steve M
Hall of Famer
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby