Sirs for Monday

Re: Sirs for Monday

DieTrying 12 Sep 2020 22:33 pm said..

PeterD wrote:I have no problem LD reffing this game.
In most cases The game is won and lost By the players. That does not mean I won’t assess KD performance after and dueing the game.

I don't either, but this is a key game for both Clubs looking to get into Tier 3 for the HC. KD should not have been put in this invidious position by his bosses. That's where the fault lies.
DieTrying
aka John Neary

Lurker 13 Sep 2020 00:35 am said..

Hope people aren’t looking for excuses before the game starts; just in case we lose? Let’s be positive and dare I say it happy clappy - cmon Glos!!! :D
Lurker
Hall of Famer
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle

Allen Prior 13 Sep 2020 06:40 am said..

KD does not need anyone on here telling him this. He, as a professional referee, will be all too aware that he will open to all sorts of accusations (unfair and unsubstantiated) that he could be seen to favour his old team.

Any suggestion he will be biased (ignoring the attempts by some to "soften" it by using the word unconscious) is arrant nonsense. If anything, he will be taking all steps to make sure he cannot be accused of bias.

I am very happy KD has been appointed for this game as he is one of the very best out there. That doesn't mean I will not be watching him very closely and that I will not have any criticisms of his performance.

Colin Boag is absolutely correct - games are won or lost by the players, not the referee.
Allen Prior
Hall of Famer
The artist formerly known as Porky

Allen Prior 13 Sep 2020 06:42 am said..

PeterD wrote:I have no problem LD reffing this game.
In most cases The game is won and lost By the players. That does not mean I won’t assess KD performance after and dueing the game.

Great typo, PeterD!
Having Lee Dixon referee the game would be awful so we seem to have both him AND Karl :D :lol:
Allen Prior
Hall of Famer
The artist formerly known as Porky

Sheddy Mcshedface 13 Sep 2020 06:58 am said..

Allen Prior wrote:KD does not need anyone on here telling him this. He, as a professional referee, will be all too aware that he will open to all sorts of accusations (unfair and unsubstantiated) that he could be seen to favour his old team.

Any suggestion he will be biased (ignoring the attempts by some to "soften" it by using the word unconscious) is arrant nonsense. If anything, he will be taking all steps to make sure he cannot be accused of bias.

I am very happy KD has been appointed for this game as he is one of the very best out there. That doesn't mean I will not be watching him very closely and that I will not have any criticisms of his performance.

Colin Boag is absolutely correct - games are won or lost by the players, not the referee.

Yes, now you get it. Its not just that he could be bias against us. (which I absolutely don't think he will deliberately do) but if he makes decisions to prevent being accused of bias against us then is he then opening himself up to accusations of being unfair against Quins. Its a 2 way street.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer
Keyser Sose

Rovin 13 Sep 2020 08:21 am said..

I reckon KD is a good up and coming ref, he's got good communication skills and great empathy with players. He'll be aware of his Quins roots and the need to be seen to be impartial, and we just let him get on with it.
Rovin
First team regular

Big Red 13 Sep 2020 09:29 am said..

Head to Dickson’s twitter and you’ll see him recently sharing one of his favourite Harlequins memories...

I get both sides of the coin in the replies on this thread, but mine is like many others - avoid making it an issue by not having him do a Quins game.
Big Red
Hall of Famer

Asgard 13 Sep 2020 10:29 am said..

I'm not sure if many know this but after every game the referee talks through his performance with his performance manager and every aspect of the game is analysed with close scrutiny. It is over-viewed by his colleagues. I remember sitting behind Nigel Owen on a plane returning to Heathrow after the Castres game a couple of years ago. He spent the entire flight reviewing the game on his lap top prior to meeting his performance coach in Cardiff that night.
To suggest on this website that a Premiership Referee is prone to bias does nothing but denigrate the reputation of so called knowledgeable supporters.
Asgard
Hall of Famer

caldiglaws 13 Sep 2020 10:45 am said..

Is that the same Nigel Owens who was refereeing a match between Wasps and the Dragons at Rodney parade on TV was heard on ref Mic to say as the ball went into touch " no!our ball" :D as a Wasps player tried to take a quick throw in :D
caldiglaws
On the board

stevieb 13 Sep 2020 10:45 am said..

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:
Yes, now you get it. Its not just that he could be bias against us. (which I absolutely don't think he will deliberately do) but if he makes decisions to prevent being accused of bias against us then is he then opening himself up to accusations of being unfair against Quins. Its a 2 way street.

I don't think they do now get it, sorry. The usual people on here can't see past the assumption that you are pre-blaming the referee for a Gloucester loss, so don't bother reading what you have actually written. Those unblinkered will accept that the appointment does potentially put unnecessary pressure on Dickson as he could, in making sure he is 'whiter than white' favour Gloucester in a 50/50 call. Subconsciously.
stevieb
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby