Quins OGT

Re: Quins OGT

17 Sep 2020 22:18 pm:

Maybe it should be. Players are becoming Automatons. The game is now more about the hits rather than the skills. If you reduce the number of subs, that would encourage more aerobic training, so players are more likely to last 80 mins. Gym monkey training only encourages hits, which leads to more injuries. More injuries leads to bigger Squads which equals more cash layout. If more players can last more mins, squads can be reduced saving money on wages, which encourages a lower salary cap which means less financial losses, leading to a more sustainable financial model for the game going forward.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

18 Sep 2020 07:21 am:

Much too sensible DT. Should have posted this on rumours thread :D
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Vice-Captain

18 Sep 2020 07:24 am:

DieTrying wrote:Maybe it should be. Players are becoming Automatons. The game is now more about the hits rather than the skills. If you reduce the number of subs, that would encourage more aerobic training, so players are more likely to last 80 mins. Gym monkey training only encourages hits, which leads to more injuries. More injuries leads to bigger Squads which equals more cash layout. If more players can last more mins, squads can be reduced saving money on wages, which encourages a lower salary cap which means less financial losses, leading to a more sustainable financial model for the game going forward.

+1.

18 Sep 2020 08:13 am:

I think we all accept that we should have fewer subs. However the problem then exists if you have to go to uncontested scrums or teams with 13/14 plyers which seems unfair or they stay on while injured which isn't good.
I don't think anyone minds when it is an HIA or a genuine injury ( bones/ cuts/ ligaments etc.)
Perhaps the way forward is to allow a number of subs but if you are subbed then you are considered injured and MUST then rest for the following 14 days / 2 games etc. This might reduce the temptation to bring a player off because he is puffed of to get fresh legs.
This won't work att he end of the season I agree or in finals so would need some refinement.
Vice-Captain

18 Sep 2020 08:20 am:

CMGC wrote:I think we all accept that we should have fewer subs. However the problem then exists if you have to go to uncontested scrums or teams with 13/14 plyers which seems unfair or they stay on while injured which isn't good.
I don't think anyone minds when it is an HIA or a genuine injury ( bones/ cuts/ ligaments etc.)
Perhaps the way forward is to allow a number of subs but if you are subbed then you are considered injured and MUST then rest for the following 14 days / 2 games etc. This might reduce the temptation to bring a player off because he is puffed of to get fresh legs.
This won't work att he end of the season I agree or in finals so would need some refinement.

I was mulling the same thing and thinking at least one game mandatory rest after coming off injured, but the problem that I can see is that the bigger clubs with deeper pockets could have enough resources to keep rotating players and taking them off "injured" to get fresh legs on. They would then have enough players to cope with their "injured" players being out for a week. Or am I just being a cynic?

18 Sep 2020 09:42 am:

1). There was a suggestion some years ago that players wearing scrum caps might have had a little radio device hidden to be able to communicate, or at the very least listen to a coach - just a suggestion, no evidence or inside knowledge whatsoever.

2). Because there has been little time in between matches, players have been doing less on the training field and in the gym. I think some of the rugby we've seen has been better for it too when we've had proper 1st teams going at each other.
Hall of Famer

19 Sep 2020 09:48 am:

What size cap does Cipriani wear, I’ll order one now.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby