Quins OGT

Hall of Famer

Re: Quins OGT

17 Sep 2020 12:55 pm:

I could easily be a million miles from the truth here. But I felt that if you're running backs moves in reasonably unopposed training scenario's, with a generous "ref", it could lead to a lot of the overrunning and attempted loopy miss passes, Glaws are seeing when you're actually facing a defence that's shutting down space fast. Since the 10 is less likely to be travelling forwards at the same speed, and the defence are in the way of the passes far swifter.
Hero in the making

17 Sep 2020 12:58 pm:

Pest wrote:I could easily be a million miles from the truth here. But I felt that if you're running backs moves in reasonably unopposed training scenario's, with a generous "ref", it could lead to a lot of the overrunning and attempted loopy miss passes, Glaws are seeing when you're actually facing a defence that's shutting down space fast. Since the 10 is less likely to be travelling forwards at the same speed, and the defence are in the way of the passes far swifter.

I wonder if the same applies to the breakdown? I did wonder about the physicality of training, but as much because of the shortened times between games as anything else.
Another yard boys, another yard!
Hall of Famer

17 Sep 2020 13:00 pm:

Pest wrote:Glaws are seeing when you're actually facing a defence that's shutting down space fast. Since the 10 is less likely to be travelling forwards at the same speed, and the defence are in the way of the passes far swifter.

Bang on. With May/Thorley/LRZ Glaws are always going to try and fling it wide. Queens D plan was about either shutting this down or slowing it down such that the ball reaches those three when the Queens defence is set.

"Earn the right to go wide" needs to be the training mantra of the week. Get this right, Glaws will murder teams.
Hall of Famer

17 Sep 2020 13:38 pm:

Up the jumper wrote:
Pest wrote:I could easily be a million miles from the truth here. But I felt that if you're running backs moves in reasonably unopposed training scenario's, with a generous "ref", it could lead to a lot of the overrunning and attempted loopy miss passes, Glaws are seeing when you're actually facing a defence that's shutting down space fast. Since the 10 is less likely to be travelling forwards at the same speed, and the defence are in the way of the passes far swifter.

I wonder if the same applies to the breakdown? I did wonder about the physicality of training, but as much because of the shortened times between games as anything else.

I don't think you need more physicality in training necessarily, just more attitude. Defenders getting up in faces quicker, touch = turnover etc. Breakdown is attitude and approach, different teams seem to bring different approaches. Do you want to secure your ball, if so, you have less in the attacking line, do you risk having less people to secure, but then more attacking options, do you just check everyone in at every opportunity etc?

17 Sep 2020 17:05 pm:

Against Quins we were penalised a few times at the tackle / breakdown / ruck, because we were slow to get to the all carrier. Earn the right to go wide starts up front. Pick & go, quick ball, pick & go again, keeping defenders close in to the breakdown area and honest whilst they have to move backwards to stay onside etc

Because we didn't commit to the breakdown quickly enough ball was sometimes slow which allowed Quins defence to rush up, especially on the outside.

With some of the ball carriers we have the other players have to work harder to get with him, in old local rugby terms, get right up his arse !
Hall of Famer

17 Sep 2020 18:46 pm:

Lewi7 wrote:Against Quins we were penalised a few times at the tackle / breakdown / ruck, because we were slow to get to the all carrier. Earn the right to go wide starts up front. Pick & go, quick ball, pick & go again, keeping defenders close in to the breakdown area and honest whilst they have to move backwards to stay onside etc

Because we didn't commit to the breakdown quickly enough ball was sometimes slow which allowed Quins defence to rush up, especially on the outside.

With some of the ball carriers we have the other players have to work harder to get with him, in old local rugby terms, get right up his arse !

100% I remember saying to Mrs C during the game that JP carries so well that he often breaks the gain line on an angle away from pack. Either the ball carrier changes his angles or the support players have to work much harder to get there quicker. Second option for me
The older I get the faster I was. Used to be known as Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

17 Sep 2020 20:25 pm:

In the lead up to the last interception their winger was completely isolated with two men on him, they both tackled him and nobody was left on their feet to turn the ball over.

Simple basics
Senior squad member

17 Sep 2020 21:35 pm:

A couple of observations from Monday:
I was lucky (or not)! to get a a ticket for Monday night. Having to be in the ground by 6.10pm to meet Covid protocols I and others noted Marcus Smith was the first Quins player out for a warm up a good ten minutes before anyone else, It was curious that he was practicing a big looping highball kick. Later on the Quins looked focussed on set routines whilst the Glos warm up looked pretty laid back compared. In ten minutes Quins had 9 points from those very same warm up routines, 1.Do Glos coaches look at opposition warm ups at all?

Because of the lack of numbers in the crowd(and the stunned silence from us) in later parts of the game I could hear from just in front of the Quins coaches observation booth, a bunch of animated staff. One was using comms & calling particular plays/moves into his mike as the play unfolded (e.g. target simpson) I was staggered to see within moments, those particular plays unfolding in front of me. 2. How on earth is info getting on to the pitch so quickly? Telepathy!! :roll: :roll:

17 Sep 2020 21:39 pm:

PeteG wrote:A couple of observations from Monday:
I was lucky (or not)! to get a a ticket for Monday night. Having to be in the ground by 6.10pm to meet Covid protocols I and others noted Marcus Smith was the first Quins player out for a warm up a good ten minutes before anyone else, It was curious that he was practicing a big looping highball kick. Later on the Quins looked focussed on set routines whilst the Glos warm up looked pretty laid back compared. In ten minutes Quins had 9 points from those very same warm up routines, 1.Do Glos coaches look at opposition warm ups at all?

Because of the lack of numbers in the crowd(and the stunned silence from us) in later parts of the game I could hear from just in front of the Quins coaches observation booth, a bunch of animated staff. One was using comms & calling particular plays/moves into his mike as the play unfolded (e.g. target simpson) I was staggered to see within moments, those particular plays unfolding in front of me. 2. How on earth is info getting on to the pitch so quickly? Telepathy!! :roll: :roll:

Via waterboys and the "injury" breaks. It needs clamping down on.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

17 Sep 2020 21:45 pm:

DieTrying wrote:
PeteG wrote:A couple of observations from Monday:

Via waterboys and the "injury" breaks. It needs clamping down on.

It could also be yelling from the sidelines, wingers are often going to be close enough to hear. Unless you want to remove all coaches communication, and isolate subs, I don't think you'll get rid of it.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby