Cipriani

Re: Cipriani

Creamoftheprop 14 Sep 2020 22:49 pm said..

DieTrying wrote:On his day he is an absolute genius and a pleasure to watch. I love the maverick tendencies but there were too many of them this evening.. For me he, with Heinz missing should be steadying the ship, where needed, not trying to capsize it. Yes he's had some injuries and yes he's had some personal issues, but after a whirlwind romance he's getting married in October, which should mean he's in a happy place. Mind you the papers say they're living in Kent, which is a draining journey at the best of times. He'll also become a Step dad and Step granddad, which will be a whole new challenge.

Kinda adds to my previous post about mindset and clarity of thought. Surely, the travel, the wedding plans, the ready made family all have an impact on your thinking...

Just think there's never been a great deal of calm surrounding Cips. Seems a genuine bloke but does seem to forever be involved in drama and commotion. Seems to echo onto the pitch..
Creamoftheprop
Senior squad member

Lebowski 15 Sep 2020 07:25 am said..

Some always need an individual to blame. Never changes.
Lebowski
Dude

TheOtherJonny 15 Sep 2020 08:00 am said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:Step Dad and Grandad ?!?!? He's only 31......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know I shouldn't encourage but this did make me laugh (out loud too) :o
TheOtherJonny
Vice-Captain
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
Posts: 357  Location: Malvern Wells (most evenings and weekends) Cheltenham (office hours) Kingsholm (home fixtures)

Chris Jones 15 Sep 2020 08:45 am said..

I just don’t get the “DC is a very close mate of the coaches” comments. Not a shred of evidence on this other than perhaps the slight concern that he should been substituted at half time. Do you really believe that GS would be overawed by Cipriani??

In my view Barton is far too young and the only option is Lloyd Evans. Yes he has had many injuries but right now he’s our best option and should be given more chances.
Chris Jones
Vice-Captain

stuartjames 15 Sep 2020 09:05 am said..

You have to give credit to the Quins players for spotting the plays and making the interceptions, but the kick out from the back, that Cips chipped barely 15m into the arms of the No4 was an absolute shocker. Can't see how that can be blamed on anybody else but an individual mistake.
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

Lebowski 15 Sep 2020 09:16 am said..

Here’s a crazy idea. It’s a bit out of left field so bear with me.

What if.........the coaches actually think Cips is a hugely talented player and far and away the best option? Just throwing it in there. :? :?
Lebowski
Dude

coleser 15 Sep 2020 09:18 am said..

I’m a fan of Danny - he’s provided me with some of my favourite moments watching the Cherry and Whites.

However, I’ve said this once before but it bears repeating - I’d prefer a pragmatic, no-frills points machine at 10. Somebody like Manny Edmonds or Brock James would be ideal. I’d like a Gareth Steenson or Steve Myler from current Premiership times. An old head. Nothing flamboyant. Do the basics brilliantly and kick many penalty kicks.
coleser
Hero in the making

madders 15 Sep 2020 09:55 am said..

Lebowski , did you watch the game? If that's talent then give me mediocrity every time.
Given DC is no spring chicken we need an understudy asap.
madders
Hall of Famer
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!

Creamoftheprop 15 Sep 2020 10:07 am said..

i'm in no doubt that Cips is a massive talent and probs should have more caps, perhaps the fact he hasn't suggests coaches identify the maverick element and prefer a more pragmatic option.

No doubt either that he is the best 10 we have. Is he the best 10 in the prem? nope. On his day, he certainly is up there, but the high tackles, the passes that aren't on, the lack of pragmatic control when the forwards are going backwards etc etc just undermines game management on a consistent basis. The irony is that yesterday with that platform he could have had an armchair ride as i thought the pack did ok in the main and Jake's break followed by the intercept kinda summed it up really.

I just want him to show he can game manage a game - if the backs are too flat, tell them to get deeper, if the game warrants grubbers to the corner then kick the corners, if it's 10 man rugby then play it. I do not understand how such a talent can stick with this high-risk;high-reward style and then when it backfires so badly - and this isn't the first time Cips has been culpable of forcing the game or looking for 'miracle' balls - he just sticks with it and tries to force it even more. There was one game if i recall, Sale away, (happy to stand corrected) and he played perfect rugby, kicked the corners, good kicking from hand, brought carriers into the game - textbook 10 stuff. Not sure i've seen that for 80 mins since I'm afraid.

look, I'm not out to shoot Cips down, i think he has such natural talent and when he's good he his world class. But if someone can explain why he/management/coaches insist on playing so much high risk as a default plan as opposed to the percentage options - such as grubbing through after Jake's break instead of a high-risk flat pass that gets picked off by Marchant, or popping to OT instead of a massive miss-pass to JM for the forward-pass try, or kick long inside of flat for Quins first try, then i'd be grateful as i'm lost to understand at present.
Creamoftheprop
Senior squad member

Ferret 15 Sep 2020 10:17 am said..

Everyone was trying hard last night.
We came a gutser and that’s it.
Let’s move on and prove it was one off
Ferret
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby