The Caterpillar Ruck

Re: The Caterpillar Ruck

MarcusRann 15 Sep 2020 20:26 pm said..

Severus yes thank you that was where I was leaning too.
MarcusRann
Hero in the making

GlawsyD 16 Sep 2020 17:51 pm said..

How about ref calls 'Ruck formed' - no other defenders allowed to join. Ref calls " Use it" - 5 sec rule.
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086

Asgard 16 Sep 2020 18:12 pm said..

A similar suggestion was listed in the experimental rules that were put before all the Nations but it was declined.
Asgard
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 16 Sep 2020 20:39 pm said..

MarcusRann wrote:I get that part Severus, what I don't understand is

If the ball comes out of the back of a ruck it is clearly out and the ruck is over. If a player subsequently joins the breakdown over the ball is a new ruck formed or could a defending player legally pick up the ball?

John/other experts in the laws?

The ruck is over (and ref should call "ball's out") once it goes beyond the rear foot of the hindmost player bound onto ruck. Irrelevant if a later player joins as the ruck is over.

The issue is that the extended ruck is currently totally within the Laws. Until they change it will continue - so hopefully WR are on the case (and being pestered by member Unions) - and it will continue to grate.

I notice our supporters only chose to boo when Quins adopted the play. Seemingly not a problem when we did same (which occurred on a number of occasions.
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2629  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County

RossM 16 Sep 2020 22:05 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:
MarcusRann wrote:I get that part Severus, what I don't understand is

If the ball comes out of the back of a ruck it is clearly out and the ruck is over. If a player subsequently joins the breakdown over the ball is a new ruck formed or could a defending player legally pick up the ball?

John/other experts in the laws?

I notice our supporters only chose to boo when Quins adopted the play. Seemingly not a problem when we did same (which occurred on a number of occasions.

This is not common to Glaws and happens throughout the league and not just specifically over the caterpillar ruck. It goes with home field advantage :D
RossM
Hero in the making
‘Politicians and diapers must be changed often and for the same reason.’ Mark Twain.

MarcusRann 17 Sep 2020 05:51 am said..

[quote="Gloucester Mute"]

The ruck is over (and ref should call "ball's out") once it goes beyond the rear foot of the hindmost player bound onto ruck. Irrelevant if a later player joins as the ruck is over.

Thanks John.
MarcusRann
Hero in the making
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby