The Caterpillar Ruck

Re: The Caterpillar Ruck

Gollum 15 Sep 2020 07:05 am said..

Maybe it's because I'm old school, but I do find it odd when the refs refer to players by their first name and ask them to 'please' use it.

Wouldn't 'Green/Red 9, use it!' have more impact? They aren't there to be the players mate and this is an order, not a polite request.

Agree that it will only work though if backed up with action when ignored.
Gollum
First team regular

RossM 15 Sep 2020 08:34 am said..

During our recent win at the Rec, I definitely heard Wayne Barnes call 'use it' and immediately started counting down out loud. Dobby reacted and got the ball away very quickly. I wish this happened more often.
RossM
Hero in the making
‘Politicians and diapers must be changed often and for the same reason.’ Mark Twain.

lucifer 15 Sep 2020 09:21 am said..

madders wrote:Every time Varney used this he merely gave away possession, the kick was poor, the chase ineffective.
A truly shocking inept performance.

Agree, I was almost throwing things at the television after the 3rd time this happened in the Quins half. Instead of getting quick ball out to our much vaunted backs, we took an age before launching a hopeful box kick which only succeeded in giving the ball back to the visitors.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

adam 15 Sep 2020 12:13 pm said..

RossM wrote:During our recent win at the Rec, I definitely heard Wayne Barnes call 'use it' and immediately started counting down out loud. Dobby reacted and got the ball away very quickly. I wish this happened more often.

Pretty certain I heard a countdown last night - it wasn't me as I was counting up...
adam
Vice-Captain
Rugby, music, beer inanities @adamashby

MarcusRann 15 Sep 2020 12:30 pm said..

In my opinion we were lucky that KD didn't call the ball out of a couple of those rucks. The last player seemed to be not bound on when the ball was behind the back foot of the previous last. Unless this forms its own new ruck - im not sure of the law on this.
Last edited by MarcusRann on 15 Sep 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarcusRann
Hero in the making

Severus 15 Sep 2020 12:32 pm said..

MarcusRann wrote:In my opinion we were lucky that KD didn't call the ball out of a couple of those rucks. The last player seemed to be not bound on when the ball was behind the back foot of the previous last. Unless this forms its own new ruck - im not sure of the law on this.

That’s a facet of the laws that is constantly ignored. To be a part of the ruck you must be fully bound on.
Severus
Hall of Famer

MarcusRann 15 Sep 2020 12:40 pm said..

I get that part Severus, what I don't understand is

If the ball comes out of the back of a ruck it is clearly out and the ruck is over. If a player subsequently joins the breakdown over the ball is a new ruck formed or could a defending player legally pick up the ball?

John/other experts in the laws?
MarcusRann
Hero in the making

tigerchef 15 Sep 2020 14:24 pm said..

adam wrote:
RossM wrote:During our recent win at the Rec, I definitely heard Wayne Barnes call 'use it' and immediately started counting down out loud. Dobby reacted and got the ball away very quickly. I wish this happened more often.

Pretty certain I heard a countdown last night - it wasn't me as I was counting up...

You did, about 20 of us started counting out loud. :lol:
tigerchef
Hall of Famer

Severus 15 Sep 2020 18:16 pm said..

MarcusRann wrote:I get that part Severus, what I don't understand is

If the ball comes out of the back of a ruck it is clearly out and the ruck is over. If a player subsequently joins the breakdown over the ball is a new ruck formed or could a defending player legally pick up the ball?

John/other experts in the laws?

I suppose it wouldn’t be a new ruck because the first one was over and there isn’t a player from both side over the ball. So in my opinion it should be open play.
Severus
Hall of Famer

Lurker 15 Sep 2020 18:56 pm said..

The ref seemed to get a bit fed up with the time it took to clear the ruck - he called that the ball was out quite a few times later in the game but no one from Quins attacked Varney which they could have done.
Lurker
Hall of Famer
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby