Luds, Reid and the 7 shirt

Luds, Reid and the 7 shirt

ShedOrDead 15 Sep 2020 08:04 am said..

A couple of questions for the denizens of Shedweb on a topic that has floated around on various OGTs and miscellaneous threads for a while now. There seems to be a general consensus on ShedWeb that Reid is the 'classic' openside who chases the ball and jackals everything, while Luds is a more 'hybrid' back row who enforces Glaws' breakdown and is a super lineout operator who increases Glaws' win % off own ball as well as their steals of opposition ball. Given this...

First Question: who do Shedweb believe is the better player at 7 for Glaws?

Second Question: Given his enforcer/lineout skills, could Luds play in the second row to accommodate Reid at 7? I have no idea what his scrummaging is like, nor whether he would even be open to this but given his skills he doesn't seem a totally unnatural fit...
ShedOrDead
Hall of Famer

Re: Luds, Reid and the 7 shirt

Ken Burney 15 Sep 2020 08:22 am said..

I'm not sure that Lewis Ludlow is either tall enough or heavy enough to play at lock.

He's a very good player who needs to work on his breakdown play if he is to wear the number 7 shirt. As yet, he does not seem to be a good captain.
Ken Burney
Hall of Famer

Camel 15 Sep 2020 08:24 am said..

Interesting topic.

Ludlow comes in for a lot of criticism on here, which in my view is largely unjustified. Just down to the type of player he is, in a game where we're dominant (i.e. last night), he isn't likely to stand out. When we're spending a lot of time defending and slowing opposition ball down, he's more involved. He isn't the penalty machine some keep saying he is, the stats just don't back that up. He's brilliant in the lineout, particularly at stealing opposition ball. His workrate is outstanding. In wet weather, he'd be the type of openside you need. To me, he's a '6 1/2' in the Robshaw mould.

Reid is different. He's more of a jackal type openside and carrier. He's excellent on the floor and seems to read (no pun intended) the game well. Essentially, he's more of a traditional 7. You can tell he's been coached in the Southern Hemisphere. His game IMO, is more suited to games like last night, where we're expected to be dominant. Dry conditions and a free flowing, open game definitely suit Reid better.

In summary, I think selecting which openside to start should be dependant on the conditions, opponent and game plan we're looking to execute.
Camel
Hall of Famer
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"

Camel 15 Sep 2020 08:25 am said..

Ken Burney wrote:I'm not sure that Lewis Ludlow is either tall enough or heavy enough to play at lock.

He's a very good player who needs to work on his breakdown play if he is to wear the number 7 shirt. As yet, he does not seem to be a good captain.

Agreed Ken, he isn't big enough to play at lock.
Camel
Hall of Famer
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"

TP17 15 Sep 2020 08:29 am said..

I know and appreciate how much of the unseen dirty work Ludlow puts in. However, a few around me were discussing last night whether he’s only starting because he’s vocal and puts in a lot of effort in training so Skivs fancies him as captain while Heinz is out. I do think that Reid deserves a start at 7 in our strongest side. I’d love to see a back row of Ackermann, Reid and Polledri.
TP17
Hall of Famer

Sheddy Mcshedface 15 Sep 2020 08:31 am said..

I'm a big fan of Reid since joining us so would like to see more of him in the starting line up.

As for Ludlow at lock you have to ask yourself which one of Slater, Garvey or Alemmano (who incidentally looked good in his brif appearance last night) would you drop for him and the answer would be none.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer
Keyser Sose

madders 15 Sep 2020 08:44 am said..

Give Ackermann , Reid and Polledri a go. We had plenty of ball last night and did diddly squat with it.
Stop kicking the ball aimlessly away and run it at them....you know it makes sense.
Carry on like last night and 1000 crowds will be the norm.
madders
Hall of Famer
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!

Forrester 15 Sep 2020 09:05 am said..

TP17 wrote:I know and appreciate how much of the unseen dirty work Ludlow puts in. However, a few around me were discussing last night whether he’s only starting because he’s vocal and puts in a lot of effort in training so Skivs fancies him as captain while Heinz is out. I do think that Reid deserves a start at 7 in our strongest side. I’d love to see a back row of Ackermann, Reid and Polledri.

That’s pretty much how I see it.
Forrester
Hall of Famer

Nuts 15 Sep 2020 11:15 am said..

Ken Burney wrote:I'm not sure that Lewis Ludlow is either tall enough or heavy enough to play at lock.

Agree with you about playing lock, Ken.

Out of interest, what makes you draw the Captain conclusion? Frustratingly, I don't think it mattered a jot last night who was 'nominated'.

I like the idea of Luds as Captain because we frequently post on here about a robust Glos pack - and he is one of the first that does that.

Despite Slater, Cips & others on the field last night, we were 'trying too hard' and appeared rudderless. No one seemed to calm down the youngsters (Thorley, Varney).

For me, this is where the Coaches need to earn their stripes. If even Ugo Monye can spot that OT is over-running the pass, then surely this is a message that needs to go onto the field?

I was impressed with our efforts and the stats show our dominance. We were chasing the game and we bring on BTT, a great, very experienced player. I'm afraid he didn't seem to provide a much needed cool head & leadership - he absolutely flew into one ruck under their posts and was very lucky not to give away a pen in promising position.

In my match day experience, much lower level, this is preparation and mindset (not captaincy).
Nuts
Vice-Captain

MarcusRann 15 Sep 2020 12:46 pm said..

We have definitely seen the benefit of having a third jumper in the line out. Could another player fill this role? Since the jumper is always lifted a few inches in height may not make too much difference.

Or are we happy to sacrifice that height for a player who is more productive in other areas?
MarcusRann
Hero in the making
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby