Luds, Reid and the 7 shirt

Dude

Re: Luds, Reid and the 7 shirt

17 Sep 2020 07:11 am:

I think I’m starting to understand where all those head coach applications came from.
Hall of Famer

17 Sep 2020 07:28 am:

Lebowski wrote:I think I’m starting to understand where all those head coach applications came from.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

17 Sep 2020 07:44 am:

We are now 8th. Obviously a big improvement.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
Hall of Famer

17 Sep 2020 07:51 am:

In reality 9th actually. That said having predicted 7th place before the season started I will happily go on how the table finishes next month. Confident (and happy to accept Sarries are obviously pants despite their effective 2nd place with a now-legal squad).
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Academy prospect

17 Sep 2020 09:10 am:

Please forgive my ignorance, sadly having lived in Switzerland for the last 2 years I have missed a number of items concerning Sarries penalty for their misdemeanors with regards player payments etc. My question is why are Sarries now legal when they have kept the bulk of their squad, have they adjusted player remunerations or made other adjustments to fall within the rules?
The last I read was that they hadn't and because the rules do not apply for the lower league they still remain out of compliance if/when they return.
Of course I accept I do not have all the facts but I would like to understand why they have become legal for the Premiership?
Hall of Famer

17 Sep 2020 12:33 pm:

Join the queue, Bear.
Hall of Famer

17 Sep 2020 16:43 pm:

DieTrying wrote:With Parisse retired, I can see Jake moving to 8 for Italy. Going forward for Glos, I believe 6: Akermann, 7: Reid and 8: Polledri, is our best back Row. I don't believe Ludlow is not a Captain nor a good enough starting 7. Why? having watched the likes of Longstaff, Smith Stanley, Hazell to name a few a lot would of heard of, is the standard we need. With a bit more Premiership standard conditioning Reid is better.

I enjoyed watching all of those 7s and more play for Glaws too but times have changed and it is now 2020. Even Andy Hazell, who retired in 2014 would now be deemed too small for the modern game and clearly the Laws have also changed in that period. All of those above were guilty of giving away their fair proportion on penalties but "living on the edge" was always part of being a "traditional openside". I like Reid a lot from the small amount we have seen him and hopefully he will serve us well for a few years. and a backrow of him, Ruan and Jake would appeal in certain circumstances and against certain oppositions but I don't think there is any such thing as a "best back row" any more.
Ken Smith (once upon a time Mr Realistic)
Senior squad member

24 Sep 2020 14:25 pm:

the simple fact is that with the new laws at the breakdown the 6 and 7 in particular have to be far more competitive at the breakdown. The best exponents of that are not the big flankers tbh, it's the smaller guys like the Curry Brothers for example with their lower centre of gravity.

Re Luds ... he may not be the best captain option but that aside he has to do better at the breakdown, he has the strength so hopefully the coaching team will look at the technique required with all our flankers and set them up for the new season with that in their skill set. Along with a long list of other things like the Maul [attacking and defending] and attacking line outs etc etc.
Vice-Captain
Location: Alicante Province, within easy reach of the airport......!

24 Sep 2020 17:45 pm:

The Bear Grills wrote:Please forgive my ignorance, sadly having lived in Switzerland for the last 2 years I have missed a number of items concerning Sarries penalty for their misdemeanors with regards player payments etc. My question is why are Sarries now legal when they have kept the bulk of their squad, have they adjusted player remunerations or made other adjustments to fall within the rules?
The last I read was that they hadn't and because the rules do not apply for the lower league they still remain out of compliance if/when they return.
Of course I accept I do not have all the facts but I would like to understand why they have become legal for the Premiership?

My cynical head says that they are not yet under the cap - they have not opened their books for scrutiny merely shifted a few players on to a loan scheme whom they will have returning in about a year.
Should they fail to open their books and win the championship, they do not return to the prem. This is as explained on this forum by a number of contributors who are far more knowledgeable than me.
On the board

24 Sep 2020 18:49 pm:

Surely the crux of the matter re sarries is that they have loaned out so many players and presumably their wages aren’t counted presently eg Singleton at glaws, Malins & Earl at bris (they really need loanees ;) ), spencer at bath etc
Begs the question what will happen in 21/22 though but perhaps no one is worrying much about it given the delicate state of pro sport at the moment ....
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby